Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:12:32 AM EDT
I finally mustered up the courage to  introduce my dremel to my ak-shorty brake on my 14.5 bushy. I followed all the advise given and I can report a successful operation. Brake has been excised and sent in for a biopsy. The threads look beautiful and are patiently awaiting the arrival of the new Phantom FS from Denny's Guns (AKA Global Tactical) so it can be permanently fixed to my barrel and finally reunited with my lower again!!!

Now the warning:

If you try this at home, WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND A MASK!!! I wore my eye protection, but failed to wear a mask. Now my nose and throat are sore and I have plenty of black junk in my snot when I try to blow my nose....think of all that nasty crap I was breathing...NOT worth it, WEAR A MASK...my .02

roy d
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Roy,

Do you have any pics?
Where exactly were the pin(s)?
How do you tell by looking if it is threaded underneath or not.  Is this how yours looked?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If you try this at home, WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND A MASK!!! I wore my eye protection, but failed to wear a mask. Now my nose and throat are sore and I have plenty of black junk in my snot when I try to blow my nose....think of all that nasty crap I was breathing...NOT worth it, WEAR A MASK...my .02

roy d

Glad for your success!  Cutting off a permanently attached muzzle device with a Dremel isn't difficult, but it can be a bit nerve-wracking...  Good advise on the mask and eye protection but having cut off quite a few permanently attached devices one final piece of advise I'd give is to also put a few cleaning patches in the bore as close to the muzzle as you can.  It keeps all that nasty stuff you were breathing in from getting in the bore and gas tube...

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
hoosier, mine looked just like yours. my pins were at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I had to really study my brake in the right lighting to find the slight discolorations in the parkerized finish. The pins were midway on the 'hump' between the washer and the step down. I went real slow with the cut off wheel...yes i used the cheap brown ones (it worked fine)...until I saw a smal circle form. it was the pin. I cut a slot into the pin and used a small eyglass screw driver to 'unscrew' it...but it's NOT threaded. I kept going slowly until I got just below the profile of the barrel and smacked it with a hammer until the pin came out enough to grab with needle nose pliers. repeat on other side and unscrew with pliers....i had NO DAMAGE to my barrel or crown because i went REAL SLOW. Take your time and protect your investment. nuthing to it

and sorry no pics of it...I could post a pic of the finished product, but that on't help you.....good luck, and be patient.

roy d
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Am i the only one detecting a problem?

removing a muzzle device from a 14.5 barrel.

I am going to assume you removed the barrel from the action whiel doign said work, and also promptly permanently affixed a new muzzle device of at least 1.5 inches long.

;)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Roy,

Thanks for the information and inspiration.
Let's see some pics of the threaded barrel and some of the barrel with the Phantom attached when you get it on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
"Am i the only one detecting a problem?

I am going to assume you removed the barrel from the action whiel doign said work, and also promptly permanently affixed a new muzzle device of at least 1.5 inches long."

I had a shotgun barrel birdcage and burst right at the front of the magazine (about 14 inches). I was worried sick about having created an NFA firearm. The gunsmith laughed and said that it wasn't my intention to create a short barreled shotgun, so no crime. I'm sure that the fact that you posses the required length flash suppresor and the removed piece would cause a prosecutor to drop the case.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Am i the only one detecting a problem?

I am going to assume you removed the barrel from the action whiel doign said work, and also promptly permanently affixed a new muzzle device of at least 1.5 inches long.

;)

ohhh, absolutely...i wasn't clear on that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
the one barrel i''ve removed the comp and replaced with a phantom on had the welded blind pins at
12 o'clock and 6 o'clock
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had a shotgun barrel birdcage and burst right at the front of the magazine (about 14 inches). I was worried sick about having created an NFA firearm. The gunsmith laughed and said that it wasn't my intention to create a short barreled shotgun, so no crime. I'm sure that the fact that you posses the required length flash suppresor and the removed piece would cause a prosecutor to drop the case.

When was the last time you saw a cop walking around at the range with a tape measure?  Oh,  never?   Me neither.  

However, when you use your shotgun to hold up a bank, I'm sure the cops will be more than happy to stick you with another felony offense for having an illegal short-barreled weapon.

If you break the law, be prepared to pay the consequnces.  Cops I know aren't excited to listen to excuses, besides the chance of picking up new water-cooler stories.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top