Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2004 6:02:58 PM EDT
Which one is best for "sand bags" when bench shooting?? I have heard of people using Rice instead of sand??
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use sugar mixed with salt and pepper.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the plastic "fill" that you can get at any craft store. Its cheap, waterproof and you don't have to worry about it getting soggy when wet (rice) or leaking (sand).
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I use sand as I want the stability of the extra weight.  Rice and other light items do not give me the stability that I like.  The sand I use is the very fine play sand to fill leather rests.  If using something like old money bags, which I have used dozens of, make sure you double stitch the seams and triple stitching won't hurt, and I mean ALL the seams, not just the one open where you put in the sand.  Go over all seams and use the finest stitch per inch your machine will do with the thread you use.  Also, use a heavy thread, not your normal clothing thread.  The thread I use is a black heavy thread #69.  It will not break easily and takes a lot of abuse.  Also, don't overfill the bags, you want them to settle around your firearm forming a cradle.  Then when you are done, just use common since and don't leave them out in the rain.  If they do get wet, set them up in front of a fan for a few days, turning them over ever 6-12 hours.  You will get them dry long before the stitching or bag starts to rot or weaken.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use the plastic "fill" that you can get at any craft store. Its cheap, waterproof and you don't have to worry about it getting soggy when wet (rice) or leaking (sand).

How much did that stuff cost you?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I hooked up with a friend who reloads shotgun shells, and got a healthy handful of shot buffer.  Granular polymer stuff, about the size of a letter "a" in 6-point font.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Walmart sells the plastic beans for beanie babies and dolls.Cheap$!  It works great for a squeeze sock on the rear of stock.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sand, will not shift as easilly and screw up a shot as other things can.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of desperation, I once used a Horse Feed sack.  I got a ruger 22/45 to hit a 5 gallon bucket at least 6 out of ever 10 shots at 225 yards with a 6-18x 50 tasco scope

Sand would be much better performance wise.  I know nothing of the plastic stuff, and this was the firest time I ever heard of rice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top