BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2004 11:54:48 AM EDT
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/rtaca4.gif

or
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/rcara4.gif
The CAR A4 with Quad Rail Handguard, No-Ban Model with a A2 handle.  

Or any other similar RRA model.  Im kind of having a hard time seeing many differences between them.  Which would you get and why?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
the 3rd or 4th one from the top.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. The most significant difference between the two is the "tactical carry handle" on the Tactical CAR. Most people find this pretty useless and end up replacing it with a flip up BUIS. Save your money and go with the regular CAR, then buy a set of good rear irons.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd get the A2 CAR
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
can you give your rational with your choice?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the old style A2. If this is you first AR the removable handle is junk and with a flat top you will need a BIUS or a recticle. If this is your first AR get the A2, get used to iron sights and then get another.FYI I just ordered a CAR A2 today from ADCO and this is my 6th AR
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
1Walker makes a good point.  If you go with a flat-top you are going to need an EOTech and back-up sights.  (My preference)   this will cost you another $400 or so.   If you go with the Aimpiont it is another hundred bucks give or take.  And nothing is a reliable (or inexpensive) as the A2 configuration.  

Only drawback to the fixex carry handle A2 is that they are awkward if you later decide you need an optic.  (That, then is the loophole to get another AR15)

All depends on what you want, how much you can spend, and how many more AR's are allready in your home.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
CAR A4 NO ban with quad rail handguard. Why? You will someday want optics or a red dot. The flat top is the best way to do that. Quad rail? Well, you will probably want to add a vertical grip, a long scope  or a flashlight. Its easier to mount those with the quad rail.
Get the one without the tactical A2 sight because its practically worthless, unless you cut it down and make a backup rear sight out of it. If you are not going to get optics anytime soon, its best to just get a used A2 carry handle which can be found on the EE here for 1/2 the price of a new one.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the CAR A4 , but go with the midlength version , and add whatever other toys you like. I think many would agree that the midlength gas system is the best for a carbine and RRA offers it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea i think i will get the a4 carbine flat top and just get a used detatchable a2 upper.

Also....doesn anyone knwo where to get a cheap detatchable A2?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You can always get the Entry Tatical No Ban that comes with the collasping stock if you like the M4 barrell profile. You can order with chrome lining and no tatical crap handle. You can even order the A2 detachable handle instead of the tatical carry handle. I had to get my M4gery since I already have an Armalite M15A2 20 incher.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know a good dealer for RRA?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
ADCO
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]
well....just pu tin my order for a CAR A4 with telestock, flashhider, and a ARMs 40l.

$-6 wks though....hinking.gif

Hope its worth the weight.

PS.  What is the logic of my state having an 8 day waiting period for ar's that  have m4 profiles but not for hbar?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 ADCO
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
MordecaiPSI, that is very close to the combo I was thinking about ordering from ADCO.

Mid Length A4 CAR flat top with ARMS #40 BUIS.
I was also thinking of having them contour the barrel under the hand guard to reduce weight.

Here are my questions…

They list the A4 CAR flat top as pre-ban, does this mean it already includes the telestock and A2 FS?

Do they mean telestock when they list entry stock?

As to barrel contouring, what do you guys think, only under hand guard, or should I also have a M203 cut made, or should I have them contour fore and aft of the FSB, or maybe flute the exposed barrel part?

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Indeed.....choices....

II got mine from RPbprecision  and they charged 15 more for telescope and fs.  Total is $750 or so shipped!  Great deal and if what i hear about thier service is right it seems liek they have the best deals.

Also can someone explain why my state MD has a 8 day waiting period for an m4 profile but not for an hbar?  WTF whats the logic?  Am i missing something here?  m4 just has a lighter rifle right?  How is a lighter rifle suppose to be more attractive to those who want one in a fit of anger/rage?  I dunno....thinkin outloud here.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Cant help you there, makes no sense to me either, stupid stupid anti laws!

I just know that I like the RRA midlength, but that I want it to be lighter he
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As to barrel contouring, what do you guys think, only under hand guard, or should I also have a M203 cut made, or should I have them contour fore and aft of the FSB, or maybe flute the exposed barrel part?

That is all personal prefference again. People will try to tell you one way is best and another is worthless but it realy makes no difference besides for weight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#20]
2nd from the bottom

its got everything you need, nothing you dont
just add some flip sights and your are good to go

personally, i'd either build my own, or get a BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Do you have any first hand knowledge of RRA products? I do, and BM and Colt as well. Colt puts some extra effort into MPing their stuff, which neither RRA or BM does. RRA stuff is just as good as BM. They just haven't been around as long as BM.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have any first hand knowledge of RRA products? I do, and BM and Colt as well. Colt puts some extra effort into MPing their stuff, which neither RRA or BM does. RRA stuff is just as good as BM. They just haven't been around as long as BM.

What exactly is accomplished from the MPing anyway?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does anyone know a good dealer for RRA?

www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]
anyone have a picture of a RRA rifle with the mock supressor on it?
Some of their rifles say that they come with them

MadMan
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What exactly is accomplished from the MPing anyway?

MP stands for:magnetic particle. Colt inspects these by way of MP to insure against cracks or flaws that could cause catastrophic failure or injury to parts. They mostly do this to their bolts and barrels.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.eaglefirearms.net/Rock%20River%20Arms.htm

They sell the entry/tactical M4 with chrome barrel for $719
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Also can someone explain why my state MD has a 8 day waiting period for an m4 profile but not for an hbar?  WTF whats the logic?  Am i missing something here?  m4 just has a lighter rifle right?  How is a lighter rifle suppose to be more attractive to those who want one in a fit of anger/rage?  I dunno....thinkin outloud here.  

Similar logic as the AWB, where somehow a gun with a flash suppressor and telestock was more dangerous than a gun with. Its politicians banning guns, but unfortunately they are getting better at it. Recall the Feinswine attempt at making the AWB ban permanent and her staffers got smarter and tried to ban semi autos. Similar effort by MD democrats this spring in passing a state AWB. Just count yourself lucky that MD only makes you wait 8 days for that "Assualt Weapon" and didn't ban them outright.

Please keep my signature in mind ...... (edited to add, where's my sig??) .... LEGALIZE FREEDOM
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#28]
right i mean i can understand the logic behind an outright ban on AW....at least someone can argue the position decently.  But these half ass regulations?  Cmoon only purpos eof then is to play politics....to say u did something.

Yea that swhy im trying to get my AR while i can with all the goodies!  4-6 weeks............so far away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#29]
www.adcofirearms.com/
With the choices you listed, I would go with the CAR A4 No-ban w/ the quad rail.
However, I would (and did) choose the chrome lined Entry Tactical. And I would (and did) choose ADCO to buy it from. That way if you don't want the tac handle, or you want a different hg set up, Steve will do it for you. ADCO will always build your custom rifle for less than buying a stock rifle and swapping out parts.
just e-mail Steve with what you want and he will give you price and availability. And tell him strick909 sent ya
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a good choice.  You are going to like it!  6 weeks wait?  Try ordering a custom built rifle and waiting 4 to 6 months!  Like a kid waiting for Christmas.  

While you wait make sure you have at least 4 magazines and a couple hundred rounds of ammo, ear protection, targets, cleaning supplies, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Yea ive been shoppin round for some of those.  Is there a place online whos reputable that sell all the extra goodies?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yea ive been shoppin round for some of those.  Is there a place online whos reputable that sell all the extra goodies?

Any of These dealers can help you out
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top