Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 6:21:30 PM EDT
Can anyone advise me if the Surefire is wirth the extra $250?

The OTAL says the range is 450 meters in low light and 30 in daylight.  If I converted it correctly this is like 490 yards in low light and only 30 in daylight.

Does the surefire offer more DAYLIGHT length?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#1]
This question belongs in the Lights and Lasers forum, not here.

But at anyrate, there is no practical difference in distance.  All civilian lasers are limited to 5mW and then it's a matter of focus, dot size, color, and pattern (blinking or not blinking).  Both the Surefire and OTAL will actually project a dot for more than a mile (in the dark), far past any useful range.  The Surefire is nice if you want the modularity and swapablity with the rest of your Surefire gear, but the OTAL has a superior package.  Some don't like the offset of the OTAL though.

Forget using any laser in bright daylight.  I can't see my SF L72 past 10 yards in the bright daylight.  It's possible on the right surface, but you would have to already know where to look and look HARD.  They are generally limited to less than full daylight conditions, dark or darkened areas, the conditions where a real encounter is likely to happen.

Get the OTAL.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a OTAL coming to me.  There is NO way I'm paying Surefire's prices.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
quick question, what purpose would one of those flashlights serve in daylight?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
quick question, what purpose would one of those flashlights serve in daylight?  

They are not flashlights...lasers
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE REPLIES.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top