Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 12:35:47 PM EDT
Put a Ciener .22 conversion unit into my Armalite.
It worked pretty well right out of the box.
Very accurate and fairly reliable.
However;
Every once in a while, it will "double" and even 'triple" (once I think five even)

The "Guru" at my club speculated that:
The bolt probably comes back in recoil far enough to strip a fresh round out of the magazine when it returns to battry;
but not quite far enough to return the hammer to full cock.
The hammer follows and thus the simulated burst or auto.

If this were the problem, the answer I guess would be more powerful ammo
however (again)
Stingers will not chamber in the unit (3out of 5 times) > that extra length case is too much.

The unit seems to like federal"lightning"
This is fine with me, I don't have a problem with "Inexpensive (er)" ammo.

Anybody else have this experience ?
Is my Ciener working right?
Is my Armalite ?
(I have yet to fire it with 223 as my home range will not permit it)

I know .22's are notorious for each having its own inexplicable preference for ammo.
but
What do you other Ciener users find works best?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Shoot it!  Shoot it!   Shoot it!

Ciener conversions are notoriously "rough" out of the box and will take some time to smooth out.

Mine wouldn't function at all NIB but after a little smoothing and 1000rds later, it is almost 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Fed 22 lightning = crap
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
same thing happened to me my first time out I brought some Winchester Xpert 22's, you know the 9 bucks for 5000 deal at Wally world. They sucked. The gun would double because the ammo didn't have enough energy to allow the bolt to lock the hammer back. Get some CCI mini mags (not MAxi Mags!!!) and run about 300 hundred through her and she'll work just fine...

-sc
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]

The "Guru" at my club speculated that:
The bolt probably comes back in recoil far enough to strip a fresh round out of the magazine when it returns to battry;
but not quite far enough to return the hammer to full cock.
The hammer follows and thus the simulated burst or auto.

Your Guru is probably right, while most rifles can't do this, the Ciener conversion can recoil enough to strip the next round but not cock the hammer.  Any easy fix is to follow the polishing instructions found here:

home.netcom.com/~brownhen/id12.html

I polished the hell out of everything and now my unit runs reliably on sub-sonic ammo.  Of course, I have a true 22lr barrel so the gas seal is better...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine doubles/triples all the time. It only works perfectly with Aquila 60gr SSS. (Heavier bullet = more recoil impulse I guess).
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
that's just like my buddies AR-7. no matter what, even with two replacements from the factory, just like to go auto after 100rds....wouldn't be a problem if the clips were larger than 8rds
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]
100 rounds ??
What do you mean "after 100 rounds"

Do you mean > after the unit is broken in
or
In any given shooting session; the unit goes auto after warming up = ~ 100 rounds through it on a given session?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
bump
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty neato when it go's auto huh? It's really cool when it dumps a 20 rounds of 30 round mag.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
To be the one dickhead that brings up the law, I MUST caution that unless registered as a MG if you take out a rifle that is bursting 2-3 rnd at a time you are begging to be thrown in club FED. If the rifle fires more than ONE round per pull of the trigger it is a non registered machine gun, min charges, forget if thay add possesion, construction, etc.

I would fix before firing again, FWIW....

Geo
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
bump
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top