Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 10:21:39 AM EDT
I am considering a 1/8 barrel, mainly because it is the only midlength barrel that I have been able to find in stock.  What I would like to know is the accuracy of the lighter bullets like 55 and 62 grain bullets as good as a 1 in 9?  ammo-oracle did not yeild any results.  Most of the time this rifle will be a plinker/ informal shooter, but I still want the ability to shoot some nice groups with the more expensive, heavier ammo.  
THanks
PolytechKID

PS also post your experiences with the midlenght gas system uppers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
From the research I've done, I think 1/8 is better than 1/9.  Especially for 62 gr and up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
This is from the Ammo-Oracle and seems pertinant:

M193 (55gr MilSpec) is essentially a "universal" round; able to be stabilized by barrels with twists between 1:14 and 1:7.  Point of impact will change slightly compared to an M855 zero, so rezeroing is recommended.

1:9 is best.
Why?  Flexibility.  It doesn't seem to have any problems throwing M856 tracers around, unless it gets really cold, it wears better than 1:7 and it stabilizes more rounds than 1:12.  Additionally, 1:9 rifles, even Mil-Spec chrome chambered and barreled, can attain 1.0-2.0 MOA out to 300+ meters.

No, 1:7 and 1:8 are the best.
Why?  Accuracy.  For heavier and longer rounds during competition shooting, 1:8 and 1:7 twists are the best for heavy 77-80 grain rounds that I use to shoot competitively at 500-1000 meters.  Who needs to shoot tracers anyhow? More importantly, heavier rounds are showing very good results in terminal testing and are proving to be much better defensive rounds.

Regardless, both 1:9 and 1:7 twists seem to shoot M193 and M855 very well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I can do one better PolyTeckKID...I have a 1/8 twist with a midlength gas system. Great setup, almost no recoil, and accurate enough for me. It will easily stabilize el cheapo 55 grain bullets as well as the heavier loads. With all the noise coming from both sides about which is better, 1/7 or 1/9, might as well get the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks CRANEAU, I think I am going to go with the 1/8 twist, probably from rra, or maybe the group buy that's going on right now.  I have a question for you Craneau.  What is the make model of your midlength, any likes/ dislikes/ things to look out for?

thanks

PolytechKID
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can do one better PolyTeckKID...I have a 1/8 twist with a midlength gas system. Great setup, almost no recoil, and accurate enough for me. It will easily stabilize el cheapo 55 grain bullets as well as the heavier loads. With all the noise coming from both sides about which is better, 1/7 or 1/9, might as well get the best of both worlds.

Whats the heaviest rounds you have shot through the 1/8 barrel and what was the accuracy and shot groupings like.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top