Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:28:09 AM EDT
I just got off the phone with Bushmaster and they said that a bayonet would NOT securely fit, "the way is' supposed to" on either  a 14.5" w/phantom or a 16" w/A2... , they said that although the bayo would fit, it would not be secure enough to apply any force to the barrel, i.e. like for using to take down overgrown brush while stalking through the woods. He further went on to say that attaching a bayo could only be ornamentally functional.

Can anyone elaborate on this please? I thought that on a 14.5 inch with permantly attached phantom, a bayonet would work...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#1]
16" with A2 would put the bayonet ring on the barrel itself, I think a bayonet would have a solid position, and thus be usable, on a 14.5 with Phantom.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Great question, was wondering the same thing.  Don't they make different size bayonets for mounting  with different spaces between the mount and the flash hider?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
With a FS/FH the correct diameter for the hole in the bayonet handguard, a "bolt-on" bayonet lug can usually be placed in the correct position on most 16" barrels to get a secure mount - assuming you don't mind the look of an extra, bolted-on bayonet lug forward of your FSB.

e.g., www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
www.prebanarms.com has M7 bayoned already modified, or you can get the 'plastic' add on for you bayonet.  It didn't fit my M9, as it was designed for a M7.  However, with a dremmel tool, and a  little bit of welding and tapping- I got it to work.  Check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/ceramic_god/smallBayorifle.jpg
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
oops, double tap. sorry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#6]
here's a Hot link to that prebanarms Bayo page for you

CLICK HERE

Thats the only place I have heard of them

It makes sense that the standard bayo wont fit, given the fact that the extra 1.5+" (difference in 14.5" and 16.1" barrels) is from the Bayo lug to the end of the barrel. That would cover the blade of the bayo by as much.

sounds confusing, but it isn't if you think it thru
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Oops, sorry 'bout that

Double-tap
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Great question, was wondering the same thing.  Don't they make different size bayonets for mounting  with different spaces between the mount and the flash hider?

...yep

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...yep
www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135KKKlaw-med.jpg

That kicks all kinds of ass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
16" with A2 would put the bayonet ring on the barrel itself, I think a bayonet would have a solid position, and thus be usable, on a 14.5 with Phantom.

Kharn

Bayo will mount on 14.5 with Phantom correctly.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...yep
www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135KKKlaw-med.jpg

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!!!

Damn it all, who do I have to bribe around here?  Come on, sell me yours - surely I have something you'd like in trade?

I'll also be wanting CeramicGod's bayo as well.

I'm to lazy to make them myself, someone help me!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'd certainly consider making a few and putting up a post to sell them on here, if people are interested.   THe only problem I come across is where to get the M9's reasonably priced?  Everything I see lately is $100+.    

So, $100 ish for hte bayo,  $35 bux for the added parts - are people willing to buy M9's that fit 16" carbines for $175 bux?  (For my time and labor, of course).

Thoughts?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top