Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 7:42:09 AM EDT
I have a Colt AR SP1 that is in perfect condition; except for this 1 milimeter wide, 3 mm's long white ding.  i don't know where the heck it came from but do you guys happen to know what i can do it cover it up?  I was thinking gray enamel paint or something in that area, but hopefully you guys/gals know something up your sleeves.  any information would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The next time you take an ioncoming hit, it'll be a matched pair.

If you must? Brownells has that spray and bake stuff.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to give this a try... Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch Up Pen Flat
available at midwayusa.com.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I would normally tell you to use "Aluminum Black" from Brownells but since it's a Colt and grey it probably wouldn't match.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah you're right, Colt's old school ar's has a gray parkarized look to it, so anything black wouldn't do.  my colt m4 has a more black look to it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Try rubbing it down with CLP first and giving it a good scrubbing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would normally tell you to use "Aluminum Black" from Brownells but since it's a Colt and grey it probably wouldn't match.

I've used Aluminum Black on several rifles and they always match the original finish. The reason is the compisition of each upper is what makes the different shades.

You'll need: 90% or + Rubbing Alcohol, one small bottle of Alumunum Black, 1 Qtip and 2 minutes. Clean the Area free of dirt, grease, carbin and oil using the Alcohol. Dip the Qtip in the Aluminum black and Dab a drop onto the spot where the ding is. Allow it to sit for 2 minutes. Whipe off any left on there. Repeat if necessary although probably not. Use a damp paper towl or Qtip and clean the area with tap water then dry it using a soft cloth to "Polish" the area. Now apply gun oil to the area.

If you have a VERY FINE steel wool, carefully clean the scratch to remove any oxidation prior to applying the Aluminum black but this would only need to be done if the ding has been there for a long time. Oxidation of the Aluminum will cause it to have a "green tint" to the black color after you "die" it. If this happens you can simply re-do your repair by using steel wool on the ding then re-apply the Aluminum Black although it's better to remove oxidation first.

I restored an entire Upper & Lower and have enough left to do 8 or 10 more rifles from one small bottle.  You can order the Aluminum Black from Cabelas, DCMP and Bushmaster just to name a few places. It is so easy to use and works fantastic.

Let us know how it comes out.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend against aluminum black, it's asking for trouble.  And it stinks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Man, that sounds like a lot to me.  i'm afraid i might do something wrong to it, like scratch it or something with the steel wool.  So you guys don't think enamel paint or something that i can just dab on there and not do anything to it after that would work?  If not, i might just leave it on there.  Thanks for the info guys!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try rubbing it down with CLP first and giving it a good scrubbing.

Best advice so far.

And if for some reason that doesn't work - live with it, it's a 'character mark'.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I already tried that, it's scratched under the surface.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Try this stuff (I did on a smallish area and worked wonders)
They actualy have a couple of products for this same issue, and are as reliable as any on the subject.

Click Here
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Sharpie!

- BG
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#14]
AHH a scratch!!! The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!!
Its a gun. Just shoot the damn thing and get over your anal retentiveness.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok cool, that's something that i have to look at, thanks a lot!!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
The reason why i'm so anal about the Colt is because it was made 30 years ago and has been shot like 5 times, and i intend to keep it in that condition as long as i can.  Thanks for the smart ass answer but you have to look at it in a collector's view.   But your answer did make me laugh though.  hanks

Hey, ROC, i wish a Sharpie would work
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I mean BUCC, not ROC, i'm getting old and my memory is going away.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is everyone on this board retarded?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why is everyone on this board retarded?

Word.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks FISHER, i'm going to pick up some of that stuff up soon.  

a helpful hint:

when/if you order something from them, consider getting other items at the same time, even minor things-- like extra springs, detents, etc, to take advantage of the minimum shipping charges that apply*

*given the fact that the repair stuff is $8 and the shipping may be nearly that.

welcome to the boards M-A Man
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey redfisher, you are a genious, i bought the stuff at a nearby gun store and man, that stuff works great, you can barely see it.  Thanks again i appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#23]
A scratchDoes anyone use their ARs for actual shooting and carrying any more,where does the safe queen mentality come from
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
that's it, keeping it coming
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top