Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 5:35:03 AM EDT
I found this:

AR Ejector Mod

What are the benefits and drawbacks to doing this "mod" ??
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand Bushmaster does this on the Varmiter model rifle to make all the brass go into a neat little pile.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]

I see the possible results of this as being only bad.

A weakened ejector spring will cause the spent case to be ejected with less force.  This could lead to a type 2 (failure to eject) malfunction or worse (e.g. spent brass getting hung up in the receiver).

It sounds like a mod that someone who fires only on a range would try so as not to get yelled at by those shooting next to them - or so they would not have to walk so far to pick up spent brass.  Both NOT good reasons to modify a defensive weapon.

Just my 2 yen.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Chop and modify no spring especially in a rifle meant for more than just the range.If you have a varmint rifle or one just for targets thats one thing but for me no matter what type of rifle I wouldnt go playing around with vital commponent springs,thats just asking for malfunctions and some times worse.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
it's a common thing to do to a highpower competition rifle
keeps the brass from going down your neighboor's shooting coat
you only remove a few coils,
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not needed anymore with the advent of the Wolff XP extractor spring.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
with the wolf XP extractor spring, my shells are flying about 9 feet to the rear and right of me. It's better than my Vepr which spits out shells up to 50 feet to the right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top