Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:36:03 PM EDT
Ok guys new to the website and have to say DAMN!his
Ok now for the question.. GOing to order a RRA Entry Tactical No Ban this week and thinking of going with the ARMS #45 SIR and the Leupold CQT/4. I want a CQB rifle but also want something I can reach out and touch someone with also .  Any comments or suggestions???? I'd love to hear anything you guys have to say before I dump a ton of money!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok guys new to the website and have to say DAMN!

I love this site!!!!!

Ok now for the question.. GOing to order a RRA Entry Tactical No Ban this week and thinking of going with the ARMS #45 SIR and the Leupold CQT/4. I want a CQB rifle but also want something I can reach out and touch someone with also .  Any comments or suggestions???? I'd love to hear anything you guys have to say before I dump a ton of money!

There are many answers. The correct one is ACOG TA31 Red Donut
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 Welcome!

I would skip the CQT of I were you. I haven't been impressed with them at all, and for the money you can get a much better setup. You'll here lots of different suggestions on which type of optic to get, so you'll have to read up on the different ones.

I prefer EOtech over the rest of them.

+1 on the CQT remark.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Woah, hold on there. Why do you want the Tactical Entry model? The R4 (M4) barrel is the ass-backwards barrel designed for a grenade launcher and the elevated rail/carry handle thing is pretty much useless for a lot of people. My advice, get a CAR-A4 instead and a nice rear sight. It will give you more options, lines the optic up better if you're using a mount, and it's cheaper.
Also, hold off on the optics for a while and learn how to shoot with your irons FIRST. Once you can hit something with irons and have an idea of what you want in a scope from actual shooting experience, then start looking for one. You never know, you might find out all the shooting you'll be doing will be under 100 yards, in which case an Aimpoint or EOTech would do the trick. Or, you might like shooting something really far out, in which case a normal scope would be better. So, get a nice RRA with a good set of rear irons, put about 1000 rounds through it, then start looking for a scope. You'll thank yourself later that you did.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Woah, hold on there. Why do you want the Tactical Entry model? The R4 (M4) barrel is the ass-backwards barrel designed for a grenade launcher and the elevated rail/carry handle thing is pretty much useless for a lot of people. My advice, get a CAR-A4 instead and a nice rear sight. It will give you more options, lines the optic up better if you're using a mount, and it's cheaper.
Also, hold off on the optics for a while and learn how to shoot with your irons FIRST. Once you can hit something with irons and have an idea of what you want in a scope from actual shooting experience, then start looking for one. You never know, you might find out all the shooting you'll be doing will be under 100 yards, in which case an Aimpoint or EOTech would do the trick. Or, you might like shooting something really far out, in which case a normal scope would be better. So, get a nice RRA with a good set of rear irons, put about 1000 rounds through it, then start looking for a scope. You'll thank yourself later that you did.

Why not let him get what he wants? It's not you buying the damn thing... There is nothing wrong with the R4 barrel, that is what I have on my rifle and it is just fine. I don't care for the elevated rail but to each his own... I would wait on the optics though... GOing iron sights first is some sound advise in my opinion but I don't think you can go wrong with decent optics (ACOG, Aimpoint, Eotech)
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an RRA Entry Tatical No Ban on lay-a-way but it was sold to another customer, but to my benefit. I found out how much the Tatical Handle sucks after I ordered it. So, I got to order another one for a better price (love my gun dealer). I had the Tatical Handle replaced with the A2 detachable handle and it is cheaper. RRA customer survice is great (thanks Amber). Ofcourse I got the chrome-lined. Only thing that sucks is I have a 6-8 weeks of wait for it. The first one I ordered was received within a week. Good luck with your purchase and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think ya'll could have new, no ban guns in Cali, is this just an upper for a pre ban that was registered?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
He asked for comments and suggestions and I gave him exactly that. I'm just not a big fan of the unnecessary cuts, but that is my opinion and it was presented as such. I think he knows that it's his own money, he just wants our points of view on the matter.
The reason I suggested the CAR was tied in with the reason I'm not a big fan of the Tactical Entry and the barrel is really not that big of a deal. The T.E. is almost $100 more expensive than the CAR. For that price, you could have almost any rear BUIS on the market. Besides the barrel and the elevated rail, the guns are identical.
So, Goback, since DM is getting on my ass about this, figure out how much the M4 barrel profile and elevated optical setup is worth to you. If that's something you really want, by all means, buy it. If you're just gonna dump the tactical handle 5 minutes after you get the gun, you might as well go with the CAR and a BUIS.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey man, say what you want but at least edjucate the dude in why certain items are not any good instead of just saying they are ass-backwards and useless...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
welcom!

RRA is ok

i'd go w/ BUSHMASTER a3 though

for a cqb/mid range, ACOG

good luck
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
If the DEA trusts RRA, I have a feeling that you can too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If the DEA trusts RRA, I have a feeling that you can too.

Hello, we're from the government and we are here to help. The DEA may trust RRA but i don't trust the DEA.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]
If Rock River could actually ship something out on time I would say you picked a winner. But, as it stands, they have no idea what it means to build a non custom gun in a realistic time frame. Seriously, having to build each upper per order is total bullshit. They are a manufacturer aren't they?

Good product, horrible time line.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the input guys.. As far as the iron sights advice thanks, that's always great advice..

I'm an LEO in CA and was previously on a full time SWAT team so I am more than confident in my shooting abilities with iron sights.  I have put well into the 10s of thousands of rounds through M4s.  I am more concerned with the optics.

I used to carry a Bushy A3 and loved it but finding one for less than 1000 out here is next to impossible.  After talking to the RRA LEO Sales guy I was sold on RRA.  

The advice on the Car is sound and not a bad idea.  That carry handle thing they come with is totally useless and WILL be dumped probably before its completely out of the box.

I've used Trijicon Reflex sights before and have to say I wasn't real impressed with them.  My department now I will use the rifle for both CQC and for mid distance shots. (nothing farther than 200 yds).  I would love to find a place wear I could tri a few different styles of scopes.. If I don't get the CQT it will definately be an EOTech.  

The entry Tactical is 780 for us from a place in GA.  I didn't get a price on the Car, may call him back.  

Now how about 30 round mags? Prices and places to get them????  

And by all means keep up the replies!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Unlike almost any other manufacturer, you actually have options with RRA. You want mid-length? Done. You want free floating? Done. You want a gas block instead of a front sight? Done. Try that with BM or Colt. RRA is more semi-custom than just an average manufacturer.

Anyway, the government has something most of us don't...the money to take a dozen different ARs and abuse the living hell out of them simply to see which ones fail and which ones don't. The reason the RRA was chosen was because of the conisistency of parts and the amount of abuse it could take. If those are features that are important to you, then you've found your manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get too down on RRA. All of us are trying to get all the parts we can while we can. So there's a backlog. No shit? Of course there's a backlog! RRA is a business. Maybe they could have gone nuts and had everything ready for when the ban expired, but I can see why they didn't. Practical, you should respect it. And by the way, their product is superlative.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I just recieved my Tac Car A4 and it is a thing of beauty. No flaws, everything is top notch. A far cry from the wobbly noisemaker i carried in the military.  Outstanding quality, fit and finish are exceptional. Well worth the wait.

500 rounds so far and nary a hiccup. After break-in, i placed 30 rounds in a 2 inch hole at zero range, without touching anything. Right out of the box it was dead on for battle zero.
MC
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want a RRA I would get it from ADCO. I think you might have a better delivery time with them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top