Good idea M4_Aiming_at_U

GM
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
no heat induced problems as yet?

Wouldn't it take some extreme dumping before that tubing would have issues at that location?

Just asking... I don't (nor can I afford to) dump ammo to that level of heat...

- BG
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Great idea...thanks for re-posting
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Ric, in over 14 years of shooting ARs, I have never needed a tool other than my hands to remove handguards.

I just swapped out two barrels today, and thought nothing of the handguard portion.  Now if somoeone would invernt a tools for stuck gas tubes, they'd be my hero.

That being said, as long as the rifles stays indoors most of the time, that would seem to be better than those gay-ass tools I've seen for sale.

However, inner tube rubber dry-rots pretty quickly when left outdoors and exposed to the elements - something that those considering "SHTF" should consider.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ric, in over 14 years of shooting ARs, I have never needed a tool other than my hands to remove handguards.

I just swapped out two barrels today, and thought nothing of the handguard portion.  Now if somoeone would invernt a tools for stuck gas tubes, they'd be my hero.

That being said, as long as the rifles stays indoors most of the time, that would seem to be better than those gay-ass tools I've seen for sale.

+1
I never use a tool either, I might use a towel to help me grip the delta ring better if CLP is all over it,  but that's about it.  I can't believe they charge $20 for a lousy tool like that either, do they think AR shooters are so weak that we must be dying for such a tool?

As for the gas tube removal tool....check bushmaster's website
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
That is one hell of an idea. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Try Brownell's they make one.
gas tube wrench

Regards,

Scott
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Now if somoeone would invernt a tools for stuck gas tubes, they'd be my hero.

I have always used vise grips and never had any problems whatsoever.

Closed jaws wider than tube, then screw them closed onto tube snug. Twist tube loose.

Always worked for me, never even a scratch on the tube.

YMMV. Good Luck AW!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have pretty weak hands due to CTS, and I've had little trouble removing handguards without a tool.  of course, I do need a third hand to actually pull the handguards off....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Y'know, the more I think about it, I've had rubber inner tube on my web gear for years at a time with no dry rot, and I crrently have rubber inner tube on my knee pads.

For some reason, though, the inner tube rubber I used to stop my hose from leaking dry-rotted here in florida within a month or so - and that's what was on my mind when I typed my first reply.  Maybe it has something to do with the type of rubber?

Thanks for the info on the gas tube tools, folks.  I let the stuck one sit a week with CLP and use the old-fashioned pliars and brute force technique.  I'm just glad I have no one living below me to upset.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found that a large pair of Channel-Locks makes a good improvised handguard removal tool.  Just adjust it to size and put the handles around the delta ring. It sticks out on both sides and you can apply even downward pressure as needed. Sometimes you need an extra hand but you've got enough leverage that you can pull down far enough that they just fall on/off.  Depending on how you turn the pliers relative to the rifle, you can also tilt/twist to pop only one of the halves on or off.

--Josh
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Adam_White,
Got a vise? If so clamp the gas tube in it and pull the upper off.

My vice is shit - I live quite the mobile lifestyle so I don't have a solid bence and vice.  If I tried that, either my vice would give or the cheap ass particel board it is mounted to would finally give.  It barely allows me to torque on a barrel, and that requires me using my whole body as counter-leverage.

Anyway - I got the tube off Saturday morning - in fact, I was shooting the newly configured rifle yesterday.  All is good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Very Clever
Hats Off Here
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
if your vise has the stones to hold an upper during a barrel install it will work for a gas tube. Gas tubes are rarely really stuck it's just a matter of being able to grab enough of the tube strongly enough. The vise solves that problem. I have a gas tube wrench and it works fine but it's a range tool. In the shop the vise is handier.

Very simple, but very smart.  I wish I'd thought of it earlier; thanks, Tweak.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Heh........M4s procedure just worked for me. Thanks buddy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Adam_White,
Got a vise? If so clamp the gas tube in it and pull the upper off.

My vice is shit - I live quite the mobile lifestyle so I don't have a solid bence and vice.  If I tried that, either my vice would give or the cheap ass particel board it is mounted to would finally give.  It barely allows me to torque on a barrel, and that requires me using my whole body as counter-leverage.

Using it to get the gas tube off puts very little pressure on the vice, much less than barreling an upper.  Hold the upper upside-down and clamp the tube in the vice.  One or two taps with a mallet or a 2x4 is usually all it takes, just be sure not to let the upper fall on the top of vice and get scratched when it comes loose from the gas tube.

Also, you can probably find a piece of thick plywood to replace the particle board for pretty cheap.  I paid about $10 for a 2'x2' piece of 5/8" plywood and a couple piece of 2x4 to put underneath it so there is clearance for the bolts.  It works great and there's been times that it was really taking a beating.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Bike inner tubes are free from bike shops.  You can put them on your grips for some tac as well (especially in rain or while wearing insect repelant and sunscreen).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top