Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 12:53:40 PM EDT
More "dumb questions"

I see the "Dissipator' style carbines for sale.    What's the idea here?   What is the advantage? (If any?)

Next question..
What is the ultimate in accurace that can be expected from an AR in 223 or 5.56?  consistently?    1 MOA?  1/2 MOA?    1/4 MOA?  And what would that AR have done to it to make it shoot like that, as compaired to a "satandard"  one?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
More "dumb questions"

I see the "Dissipator' style carbines for sale.    What's the idea here?   What is the advantage? (If any?)

More real estate to hang crap off of.  Looks cool (if you like it).

Quoted:
Next question..
What is the ultimate in accurace that can be expected from an AR in 223 or 5.56?  consistently?    1 MOA?  1/2 MOA?    1/4 MOA?  And what would that AR have done to it to make it shoot like that, as compaired to a "satandard"  one?

Depends on barrel length, material, twist, free floated, lining (if any), and profile (harmonics), bullet weight and loading.  doesn't matter 5.56 or .223 really.  Too many variables to answer correctly.  Be more specific as to what you have please.  Most combat weapons will shoot 1 MOA, most competition rifles will shoot at least .5 MOA.

IO1
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've shot groups under .5 inch at 200 yard and .25 inch at 100 regularly with a 24 inch heavy barrel, a match trigger, and a 6.5X20 scope.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Next question..

- The dissipator gives you 20" right radius with a 16" barrel
- Your run of the mill AR should shoot under 2 MOA if you do your part. 3/4" and less is possible with a target grade barrel, free floated handguards, match trigger, and quality scope.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most combat weapons will shoot 1 MOA, most competition rifles will shoot at least .5 MOA.

, the spec for the M16 puts it accuracy requirement at somewhere nearer to 6MOA IIRC.

Woot, looks like I'm shooting to the maximum capabilities of my rifle... 6 inches sounds good.

(I can at least pretend)

- BG
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most combat weapons will shoot 1 MOA, most competition rifles will shoot at least .5 MOA.

, the spec for the M16 puts it accuracy requirement at somewhere nearer to 6MOA IIRC.

Woot, looks like I'm shooting to the maximum capabilities of my rifle... 6 inches sounds good.

(I can at least pretend)

- BG

WOW!  I have NEVER shot anything that did that poorly.  Maybe off a shoulder in high wind and rain, while getting kicked in the ass repeatedly.  Is this the M-16 forum anyway?  All my kits are sub MOA.  Maybe the gov. needs to get a better builder.

IO1
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the genius of this forum is reaching new heights.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi IndOperator1

I can't be more specific.  I don't have it yet.  
I am just wondering what is available, and what's required.  I do have a 16" Bushmaster that I hand lapped the bore on, and it shoots 3/4 inch with 68 gr. hornady match bullets,  Rem. B.R. primers, 24.4 gr IMR 4895, and L.C. brass.  
I am new to the AR world.  I have been a gunsmith for 32 years, but this is new ground for me.  When I got into all this about 6 months ago, I was shocked at the accuracy that can be had with these guns.  I remember the M-16 from my old Marine Corps days, and they were NOT NOT NOT the weapon that this one is.  I have fired about 2000 rounds in the last 6 months from this little carbine, and it's not jammed one time.  It's more accurate than any M-14 or M-1A I have ever worked on or shot.  In fact, I have only built a few bolt action rifles in "hunting weights" that would out shoot this little gun, and they won't out shoot it by much.  Case in point:
I have a custom 222 on a SAKO action that will shoot 3/8" with 5 shots.  It's a full-on custom job.  However, if I shoot a 10 or 15 round group with it, it will do about 3/4" to 7/8"   I shot a 14 round group the other day with the bushie in front of 4 witnesses, that you could cover compleatly with a dime.  (all this at 100 yds)  So.......which one shoots better?  That depends on what you're measuring.  The SAKO will shoot 5 rounds tighter, but I think the Bushie will out shoot the SAKO with 15.  Their pretty close.
I also have a 270 i made on a Mauser that will touch 3 bullets at 100.  But it shoots 10 of them into about 7/8"  Is it "more accurate" than the bushmaster?  Depends on what your measuring.

If 1 year ago someone would have told me all this, I would not have believed them.  But I did it myself, and I have done it several times.  I am IMPRESSED

So now I am going to do a little "building"  I am interested in seeing how well I can make a feather weight shoot, and I am interested in how well an AR can shoot if you pull out all the stops.
That's the reason for the "newby questions."  but........that's how a man learns.  Ask someone that knows more than you do

OK.....
Your turn....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
You're asking the wrong guy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top