Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:53:15 PM EDT
So im removing my barrel...and find that that sucker is on there tight! It wont budge without breaking the upper it feels like.

Is there any hope? or should I get a reciever block?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I went through the same thing. Get the reciever block and save some headache.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You didn't say what set-up you are using right now so it's kinda hard to advise you on where to go from there.

Do you have a barrel nut wrench?

Did you remove the gas tube?

You said you don't have a reciever block so try this. With the bolt/carrier in the upper place it on a carpeted floor wrapped in a towl if you want. Place the barrel nut wrench ( I used a GI one ) on the barrel nut and with a mallet, tap the barrel nut wrench leftie loosey holding the upper flat on the floor with your foot.

Sounds crazy but I've done it plenty of times before I had all the tools to do it right.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So im removing my barrel...and find that that sucker is on there tight! It wont budge without breaking the upper it feels like.

If you are serious....

Yes, get a receiver block and barrel wrench, along with a good firmly secured vise at a minimum. If you are swapping barrels you may need a pin punch for the gas tube roll pin, some moly grease, and a gas tube wrench if it is an old setup with lots of carbon buildup.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok cool...yea im using a barrel wrench. I didnt think of the bolt+carrier thing, Ill try that.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends a lot on how torqued the barrel is.
I had one that some king kong type had put on, took a cheater bar to get it off.
Never could have done it without the block.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't recommend half stepping when doing work on a firearm.

Get the block, barrel wrench and some moly grease for re-assembly.

You'll save the lower from damage.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The bolt carrier is only in there to support the thin aluminum walls so it don't deform on you while you work on it.

Make sure that barrel wrench is firmly seated so you don't tear up the teeth on the barrel nut too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Listen, if you're at the point in this AR lifestyle that you're removing barrels, you'll probably be doing this more than once.  You know it's true.  Which means you should invest a few bucks in a reciever block, wrench, and a vice - even a cheap chinese one will do.  If you try this without the right tools and so much as scratch your rifle, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the right tools and doing it right.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've taken the two blocks of wood seen in this pic of my FAL vise and placed them in a bench top vise.  I then used a DPMS wrench to unbarrel a Colt A2 receiver with no ill effects.  Those are two pieces of oak pallet that I formed a shallow channel in with a dremel across the grain.  I now have a receiver block, but this rig was used to remove and reinstall very tight barrel nut with no ill effects.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen, if you're at the point in this AR lifestyle that you're removing barrels, you'll probably be doing this more than once.  You know it's true.  Which means you should invest a few bucks in a reciever block, wrench, and a vice - even a cheap chinese one will do.  If you try this without the right tools and so much as scratch your rifle, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the right tools and doing it right.

+1  He hath spake the truth - Don't WECSOG it when changing barrels.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have a vise, just wrap the upper in a folded newspaper and clamp it down. Be careful not to crush the upper, but it works pretty well.

I've barreled a large number of uppers at this point, and haven't run into any problems.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
[update]

well...shit.

I bought the huge vise and the vise reciever block and the armorers tool, all the right equipment for the job. But the wrench slipped when I was torqing on it and I managed to remove all but half of the tangs on the barrel nut! Now the wrench has nothing to grab onto. So that plan of doing things the right way just went up in smoke.

So I think I might have to put a damn pipe wrench on it and buy a new barrel nut.

What do you think?  BTW, even though I screwed shit up- I had alot of fun doing it, im hooked!

oh yea I wrecked my car on the way to get the vise! lol read about it here ....what a day
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I feel your pain...and yes, I read your signline.

Gruß,
-NES
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Which style barrel wrench are you using?  If B, even though those are designed for torquing, they don't work very well for torquing, as you may already know.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
www.gunkits.com/wrenchT.JPG

Which style barrel wrench are you using?  If B, even though those are designed for torquing, they don't work very well for torquing, as you may already know.

type A is the one
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I got er done with a pipe wrench, no problem!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I have B, the nice old fashioned GI barrel wrench.  Works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have type B as well. It torques fine. I have a selection of torque wrenches:
1/4" drive, 3/8" drive, and 1/2" drive.

For 40 ft-lb I used the 1/2" drive plus the GI wrench.

It worked fine on my Bushmaster barrel. How did you slip and take out the barrel nut lugs??? That doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
heres some pics of the finished rifle...well kinda finished, I still need a scope, grip...etc...etc

Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not so fast.  I gotta here the story behind this one.  A pipe wrench?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so fast.  I gotta here the story behind this one.  A pipe wrench?

Yea, I had to remove it with a pipe wrench.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Pipe wrench on the barrel?  Instead of a vice?  Could you elaborate how you used a pipe wrench?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#23]
He killed the teeth on his barrel nut, so he had to use a pipe wrench. I like channel locks for extreme situations.

The FIRSH includes a replacement barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#24]

"In the case of a wiped out barrel nut, a pipe wrench is an approved alternate tool for the standard barrel nut wrench."
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks nice.  At least you didn't FUBAR anything that needed to be reused.  

Oh, and nice leather belt sling on your gun, too
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I went through the same thing. Get the reciever block and save some headache.

get the reciever block, and save the price of a new upper!! Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you have a vise, just wrap the upper in a folded newspaper and clamp it down. Be careful not to crush the upper, but it works pretty well.

I've barreled a large number of uppers at this point, and haven't run into any problems.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]

"Wrapping your receiver in newspaper is NOT a recommended WECSOG method of putting your receiver in a vise and could result in irrepairable damage."
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
He killed the teeth on his barrel nut, so he had to use a pipe wrench. I like channel locks for extreme situations.

The FIRSH includes a replacement barrel nut.

Thanks N_A_L.

Sorry gaspain.  I just went back and reread the whole post.  Some how I missed that part the first time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top