Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:42:11 PM EDT
I would like to get a spare Bushmaster bolt for my new Bushmaster rifle.
Is it necessary to have the headspace checked with the spare bolt?

Is it even worth buying a spare bolt or should I spend the money on mags and ammo?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Spare bolt is a VERY GOOD thing to have.  It's the quickest way to fix more AR problems (then diagnose and repair the old bolt at home).

I do check headspace every year with my spare against all my rifles as a CYA.  It's yet to fail (I dont expect it to).
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Some will say no.  It's the only way to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you adjust headspace on an AR?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How do you adjust headspace on an AR?

There are many ways you can do this - none of them are a good idea.  If it's short, you could ream the chamber deeper, but with chrome lined barrels this is not an option.  You could fiddle with the extension, but once again a very bad idea.  Generally the headspace is set at the factory and it shouldn't be messed with.  Check it often, like Forest does, and scrap the barrel when it falls out of spec.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top