Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 4:08:31 PM EDT
After a through cleaning of my AR15's bolt I noticed that the little spring that is on the extractor was missing a buffer.  On all my other's there is a little blue or black buffer inside the sping.  I can't imagine the buffer fell out during the cleaning process.  More likely than not, it was never there to begin with.  Now I've fire about 500 rounds through this weapon with out any malfunctions.  So, should I leave well enough alone or is this a dangerous part to be missing?  Your thoughts?

Try this link if the picture won't load and see the extractor picture
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/inspection.msnw

Note in this picture you can see the blue buffer which is missing on my extractor.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
leave it, see how long it will go before fte's, might be a special spring
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Older SGW/OLY ARs never had  those, just a spring. My 20 yr. old bolt still doesn't have one and it's OEM. 3K no problems
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced the extractor spring in my Oly 11.5" with an M4 spring and forgot the buffer. That was 2K ago. I havent had any issues at all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an old M16A1 upper that doesn't have the spring insert and runs just fine...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys....I got the message loud and clear.  If it ain't broke...don't fix it.  I shall leave it well enough alone.

Regards,
Gary
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top