Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 3:46:20 PM EDT
Guess ya'll can tell I'm new to ARs without looking at my post count by the questions I ask. This is not crucial, but I'd like to be able to use the pistol grip hollow to store spare parts, batteries, etc. I have 2 A2 grips and a Hogue and the DPMS rubber grip plugs. They fit in fine but it doesn't take much pressure at the rear of the grip and they pop right out. Not worth the risk of loosing stuff. Has anyone found a way of securing them in the grip other than glue? I've been trying to come up with a way of cross-pinning, but that would have a thumbscrew head or ring sticking out. I may just go with a screw head countersunk in the grip, but I'd rather have access to what's inside without a screwdriver. Any ideas?

Thanks, Danny
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
they suck.

For awhile, months and months ago.........giving away a "panther plug" for a prize in some thread contest was a running joke.

If you want storage you can invest in a Eagle stock bag or a collapseable "tele" stock with added storage.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to try the same thing and said f**k it and got the Tango Down grip. It works great and feels better than the standard Colt grip.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Before going with the TD Battlegrip, I used a plug in a Hogue Grip. Ran the grip screw thru an electrical connector with a length of paracord crimped where the wire would normally go. Ran the paracord to a metal eyelet screwed into the rubber plug. Kept from loosing the plug and depending on the length of the paracord and items being stored from loosing them. Worked for awhile but the TD is much better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the DPMS plugs that I use for two hogue grips and once they're in it's hard to get them out; I must of got the only two that work!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, guys. Mine are tight and if you pull at the front it takes a lot to get it out. But just a slight amount of pressure at the rear and it pops out.  Think I'll put the screw thru the grip/cap and put a small screwdriver bit in the buttstock on the 20" rifle and one in the front verticle grip on the carbine. That way I have easy access in both rifles for batteries and a screwdriver to get to spare ejector and such in the grip.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I use one.. I  keep a shrunk down copy of my form 1 in the grip so its always with the gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a plug for my A2 grip locally but it didn't fit well.  I bought an A2 trapdoor grip from Bushmaster when I ordered some supplies and it is very secure.  In fact I need a screwdriver or my knife to pry the trapdoor open.  You can also use a rod to pop it open from a hole in the back but the knife is easier and quicker for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have the DPMS plugs that I use for two hogue grips and once they're in it's hard to get them out; I must of got the only two that work!

I got one too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
dpms works good on my a2 handle

never slipped off
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:13:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive got the G27 on mine and it hold fine. Its new as of two weeks.
Dont know how well it will hold up in months to come.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
A loose plug is usually not the plug or grip at fault, but the fact that lubricants/oil/ etc has gotten to one of the two

if the inside of the grip is totally free of cleaning/lubicants, as the plug is- it will stay there - solid

not easy to achieve- but there you go
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the feel of the Hogue grip and use them exclusively on my ARs. I would also like to be able to store a small bottle of CLP in the grip.

Although I don't care for the feel pf the Olympic Arms grip, the sliding door on the bottom is great.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#13]
my grip plug keeps falling off from the recoil when shooting, it sucks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top