Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 3:21:34 PM EDT
Hey i was wondering what you guys think of the Robarm M96?
Is it really more reliable than the standard Ar15/M16 Family of rifles as stated?
If so would like to see some reviews on this rifle, and is it worth the price?
here is the site
www.robarm.com/mainpage.htm
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
its allright, overpriced though
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It's crap. I had one and it was a POS. Inaccurate, bad ergonomics, bad execution of a decent design and the company SUCKS at customer service. Buy an 223 AK it's the same accuracy and ergonomics.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
With a 20" barrel it weighs 8.5 lbs.

A DSA FAL with a 20" barrel weighs 8.75lbs.

An Armalite M15A2 with HBAR weighs 8.2 lbs.

Personally I'd got with a government profile A2 AR for even more weight savings, or go with the FAL and just a 1/4lb more than the M96.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if it is more reliable like they claim, but I do like mine.  The rifle is reliable, just as reliable as my RRA, Bushie, and Colt ARs.  I have also had good experiences with their customer service, getting parts sent out under warranty with no problems.

If it were my first rifle I would go with a 20" flattop AR.  Since I wanted something that used AR Mags and was different I bought the Robinson about 5 years ago and have been really happy with it.  Just like any well made rifle, keep it clean, maintained, and lubed propely and you won't have any problems with it.  It is a little easier to clean than an AR but there are still some nooks and crannies that accumulate carbon.

Edited for chiz45 review compliance:

Approx round count on the Robinson is 5500. Some failures during break in probably due to old magazines more than the rifle and certainly not enough to make me say the rifle is unreliable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I heard RobArm is going to make them in belt-fed models. Can anyone confirm that?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's crap. I had one and it was a POS. Inaccurate, bad ergonomics, bad execution of a decent design and the company SUCKS at customer service. Buy an 223 AK it's the same accuracy and ergonomics.

+1..................and no hopes for a belt fed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd wanted one for years but had heard so many bad things about them I just put that on the back burner (right beside the Professional Ordinance Carbon 15s.)

I will say, however, that a buddy of mine just bought a brand new Recon w/ the updated bolt, magwell, etc. & it's a very good rifle.  Seems to be lighter than a standard AR carbine, & he's put several hundred rounds through it w/ zero malfs.  Not one hiccup.  I like it.

Edited to add (& off topic) now that the bugs have been worked out of the Carbon 15s by BM, I want one of those, too...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't own one, but from what I've heard, I'd only be willing to get a new updated current generation model.  Earlier models had several issues which have been corrected in the latest:  positive barrel attachment so your barrel doesn't go flying off down range, simplified gas adjustment system, more durable op rod and improved carrier.  They add up to making the rifle better and SAFER.  If you came across an older model you may get a good deal, but remember to factor in what it would cost to get it upgraded to the current config, which BTW will come out of your pocket, not RA's if I'm not mistaken.

They are pricey but it is a modular rifle.  For less than the cost of a new upper you can swap out between carbine and rifle length, plus if you are into the Bren config, it offers that too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]
  I have an M96 and I like it alot...however the company has been VERY unresponsive as far the making the changes necessary to make this into what could be one of the best rifles/weapon systems ever made.  Such a shame.  As far as pointability goes the M96 is one of the best pointing rifles I have ever fired.  It is one hell of a reliable design right up until the bolt breaks at around 7000 to 8000 rounds.  There is a very simple yet MAJOR design flaw that causes this to happen and RA's fix was, IMO, the WRONG fix.  I addressed this with them but they weren't keen on my theory.  I find this ironically funny because RA claims that it is the M16 which is the "bolt breakinest" rifle ever made.  Yet in all of the years I have used M16's and AR15's I have seen TWO bolts break in all of those years.  In both cases the issues could be trace to IMPROPERLY manufactured components NOT A FAULTY DESIGN.

In my opinion, the M96 is a great idea and unfortunately a great waste of time.  I think what RA should do is redesign the M96 to be a full clone of the Stoner 63 instead of trying to "one up" the AR15.  I think this would generate a LOT of interest.....but what the fuck do I know?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
  I have an M96 and I like it alot...however the company has been VERY unresponsive as far the making the changes necessary to make this into what could be one of the best rifles/weapon systems ever made.  Such a shame.  As far as pointability goes the M96 is one of the best pointing rifles I have ever fired.  It is one hell of a reliable design right up until the bolt breaks at around 7000 to 8000 rounds.  There is a very simple yet MAJOR design flaw that causes this to happen and RA's fix was, IMO, the WRONG fix.  I addressed this with them but they weren't keen on my theory.  I find this ironically funny because RA claims that it is the M16 which is the "bolt breakinest" rifle ever made.  Yet in all of the years I have used M16's and AR15's I have seen TWO bolts break in all of those years.  In both cases the issues could be trace to IMPROPERLY manufactured components NOT A FAULTY DESIGN.

In my opinion, the M96 is a great idea and unfortunately a great waste of time.  I think what RA should do is redesign the M96 to be a full clone of the Stoner 63 instead of trying to "one up" the AR15.  I think this would generate a LOT of interest.....but what the fuck do I know?

Well you should know and robarms should listen, I remember you from biggerhammer and m96 org years ago. I sold mine and have been very happy I did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I owned an early model that had plenty of problems.  Then foolishly, I got one of the new recon models.  Finicky on ammo, average accuracy, over priced, a PIA to disassemble to clean.  They're not that easy to get rid of once you do have it and find out what a POS it is.  The gun sucks, and the company sucks.  They are great looking guns...if you don't shoot it, they're fine.   I now own FALs and ARs and have no need for anything else.  Seriously...stay away from the RAs!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#12]
m98 is a wannabe AR... not an improvement by any means...

they need to go back to the drawing board...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I like mine just fine and haven't had any problems.  I find the balance of the thing incredible, recoil is non-existent, and accuracy is on par with any other battle rifle.   If money isn't an issue then by all means pick one up.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
m98 is a wannabe AR... not an improvement by any means...

they need to go back to the drawing board...

they have.... www.robarm.com/xcrtm_modular_weapon_system.htm
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
same old poop... they keep saying 'i have a plan, i have a plan... '

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you should know and robarms should listen, I remember you from biggerhammer and m96 org years ago. I sold mine and have been very happy I did.

Getting ready to sell mine, too.  But first I am going to speak to Alex Robinson in person and tell him exactly why ( very politely, of course ) I no longer have an interest in the M96.  I think the M96 is a great concept....it just hasn't gone ANYWHERE.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
too damn expensive' i'm sure that robarm is a good quality company, but thier marketing bites

i'd just stick w/ an AR
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#18]
too damn expensive' i'm sure that robarm is a good quality company, but thier marketing bites
no its not worth the price

i'd just stick w/ an AR
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#19]
looks like a well made version of the AK
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
The same way I feel about the XM8.  It does nothing the AR can't and doesn't do better...except it costs more...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
looks like a well made version of the AK

Not quite.  I would take the AK anyday.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I owned one. Sold it & glad I did.
Here’s a post that I made on M96.org after the first 900rds:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've 900 rds through my Recon since getting it a couple of months ago. Here the results:
110 Rds: Roll pin that holds the firing pin in the firing pin carrier fell out
250 rds: Gas regulator screw came loose causing failure-to-eject
640 rds: Failure-to-feed (S. African '87 M193, USGI 30-rd mag)
780 rds: barrel came off the receiver during firing (edited for clarity). Examined weapon throughly & made sure the barrel was installed properly & fired 120 more rounds without a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robinson came out with a redesigned barrel release button, which seems to have corrected the last problem.
After this, I fired another 1300 rds & had a couple more Failure-to-feed.  Finally, I realized that I had bought a Colt MT6400C about the same time. It has about the same numbers of rounds fired. It's never jammed, its group sizes are about half that of the M96 & it cost $500 less. The only problem was that the muzzle brake came off during firing (known problem with early MT6400C because they were held on with roll pins, now they're solid pins - or Flash Suppressor when I get mine back from ADCO next week)

EDITED to add: go to M96.org for more info.  There are many happy M96 owners on that site
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

EDITED to add: go to M96.org for more info.  There are many happy M96 owners on that site

I am no longer one of them.  There is nothing worse than a great idea that comes to naught.  I'll be selling mine soon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top