Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 10:34:15 AM EDT
I just want a basic 16" flattop AR to target shoot(not competition) with and the Lo Pro Classics look nice and are priced decently. I noticed that they don't have a shell deflector and forward assist and I didn't know if the lack of the deflector would cause problems for a left handed shooter. I don't want to build my own at this time.

I would appreciate any opinions on the DPMS and any alternatives. TIA.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot one extensively.  I don't miss the FA or lack of dust cover, for my shooting with that particular rifle hasn't require either. (knock on wood) I have others I'd grab in must-fire situations, so lacking a FA or dust cover is just not an issue to me for this rifle.

Good quality and I'd buy another, etc.

However, I wouldn't recommend it for left-handed firing even though I have never tried it with this rifle.
The ejecting empties bounce off of the upper behind the ejection port for several inches (you can see the marks from the case mouthes in the right light after who-knows-how-man rounds)
Also, the brass ejects right and rear, but a little more rear than my A2's and A3's.

Depending on how close on the stock for your cheek weld you normally shoot, that could bring the hot-empties "very close" -- not my idea of fun shooting.

Cheers, Otto

ETA: its not exactly "building your own" if you buy a complete upper that you like for a good price and push together 2 pins on a complete lower.  It can be cheaper too: no sales tax on the upper, infinite internet order-able configurations shipped right to your door, and no FET on just a complete lower purchased for a good price from a local dealer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
otto_esq,
Thanks for the information. After thinking it over, I believe your suggestion on buying the upper and lower separate makes good sense.

Bruce
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top