Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 7:51:43 AM EDT
i have read here that a FF setup will usually get the rifle a 1moa increase and i have read that the ss barrel is the best for accuracy.  my question is with a 16" barrel, what type of increase in accuracy will one have with ss vs chrome lined?  shooting will be done less than 300yds.  the prices come out the same with either a ff ss or ff chrome lined so $$$ is not part of the equation.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally don't think many people could tell the difference in accuracy given 2 quality barrels.  The high power guys might, but not most.

One thing to consider is the twist rates that are available and what bullets you want to put through.  If you are talking longer=heavier, then you want 1/7 or 1/8.  If you are talking about 62gr and lower, then 1/9 is fine.

example RRA barrels
ss=1/8
chromelined=1/9

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#2]
i would like to shoot 55- whatever i can through whichever barrel.  a friend of mine just bought a lot of reloading equipment so i can do whatever.  is a 1:8 to fast for 55grn?  is 1:9 too slow for 77grn?  i have read ammo oracle and these riflings seem to be on the edge of what i want, just not too sure which to go with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
You have it all wrong.

Stainless vs chrome lined DOES NOT MATTER.  There are match grade chrome lined and unlined barrles.  There are shitty stainless barrels.  Its the quality of the barrel that matters.  SO your thinking is all backwards.

Next FF does not reduce groups 1 MOA.  It may not reduce groups at all.  It just removes external forces from shifting POI like slings, bipods, accessories added or removed but may or may not improve accuracy.  Certain bolt guns shoot WORSE when free floated because without forearm tension the barrel heats up and shots start to wander because of  the crappy barrel.

SO in conclusion if your buying a NON high end barrel from Model 1 or some shit like that your accuracy will not be as good no matter which barrel you get so stop worrying about it.  If you want to get an unfloated Krieger it will be better than a floated factory stainless barerl etc.  Either pony up cash for a sub MOA shooter or dont expect much accuracy.  Factory Stainless wont gurantee more accuracy than a quality chrome lined barrel.  

I have a sub MOA capable Bushmaster chrome lined M4 upper on sale in the EE.  No bites yet... perhaps they dont believe it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i would like to shoot 55- whatever i can through whichever barrel.  a friend of mine just bought a lot of reloading equipment so i can do whatever.  is a 1:8 to fast for 55grn?  is 1:9 too slow for 77grn?  i have read ammo oracle and these riflings seem to be on the edge of what i want, just not too sure which to go with.

55 gr will do fine in about any barrel.  however, trying 77 gr could be problematic.  Some people have had success in 1/9 some not.  1/8 or 1/7 is usually pretty reliable for 77 gr.

Again quality of barrel makes the difference.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have it all wrong.

Stainless vs chrome lined DOES NOT MATTER.  There are match grade chrome lined and unlined barrles.  There are shitty stainless barrels.  Its the quality of the barrel that matters.  SO your thinking is all backwards.

Next FF does not reduce groups 1 MOA.  It may not reduce groups at all.  It just removes external forces from shifting POI like slings, bipods, accessories added or removed but may or may not improve accuracy.  Certain bolt guns shoot WORSE when free floated because without forearm tension the barrel heats up and shots start to wander because of  the crappy barrel.

SO in conclusion if your buying a NON high end barrel from Model 1 or some shit like that your accuracy will not be as good no matter which barrel you get so stop worrying about it.  If you want to get an unfloated Krieger it will be better than a floated factory stainless barerl etc.  Either pony up cash for a sub MOA shooter or dont expect much accuracy.  Factory Stainless wont gurantee more accuracy than a quality chrome lined barrel.  

I have a sub MOA capable Bushmaster chrome lined M4 upper on sale in the EE.  No bites yet... perhaps they dont believe it.

when you say "Either pony up cash for a sub MOA shooter or dont expect much accuracy" is 1-2moa expecting too much?  thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have it all wrong.

when you say "Either pony up cash for a sub MOA shooter or dont expect much accuracy" is 1-2moa expecting too much?  thanks for the info

anybody?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
You should get 1-2 moa from any AR15, barring a major FUBAR at the plant. This assumes good ammo and shooting skillz.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top