Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 2:03:40 PM EDT
The First AR I built a 16" Model 1 on a Bushmaster Lower Had it's second parts failure the other day! This has been the second parts failure since Early 93.
The latch on the Charging handle broke.
I noticed when the charging handle tapped my nose on firing!
I finished the magazine no harm done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
- 1 for Model 1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Hehe, second post today about charging handle humping the operator's nose...

At least it was an easy fix, no?

- BG
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Part is cheap enough but not readily available....
2 bucks for the part and about 5+ for shipping Luckily there is a gun show this weekend.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheap parts = Cheap parts
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cheap parts = Cheap parts

+1
AFSOC, I suggest just ordering one from BM or one of our fine AR15.com dealers here. You never know what you will get at gunshows.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well to assuage your fears my GS distributor is CMMG......
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The emphisis is on the "I" in I built.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The emphisis is on the "I" in I built.

Excuse me would you like to qualify that statement sir?

I Built it in 93 prior to the dark days and the rifle never skipped a beat after a small disconnector issue which was repaired promptly by ME and This too will be corrected by ME.

This rifle has been good and still is It is a parts Failure had nothing at all to do with my having built it.

Since you don't know me I would like to know what you are referring to in that statement!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Model 1 and ASA use Chinese parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
If they do use chicom parts, so what, only the second failure in 10+ years for the guy, He got  his money out of the parts.

Any idea to the round count on the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If they do use chicom parts, so what, only the second failure in 10+ years for the guy, He got  his money out of the parts.

Ok
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Round Count is up there about 8 thousand I am guessing just based on the amount of time I have had it the, number of cases of ammunition I have gone through.  For a few lean years while in the military it was the only toy I had. As opposed to popular belief we military types are not rich....

Oh and I am happy with the service out of that part however the disconnector was quite another story. First time out the hook snapped off caused a slamfire or two. The FCG went Bushy after that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
** I noticed when the charging handle tapped my nose on firing! **

That must of hurt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe you should consider NOT building AR's?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why? I have built several that have no problems since this one.
This one has not had any problems save for two broken M1S parts.
This part being broken has nothing to do with function.
The charging handle won't hurt you at all unless it got hung on the bolt.
Just a tiny little tap to let you know it is there.

By the way I did not post this here asking for suggestions.
I am pretty experienced with ARs and M-16s for that matter.
Many years of trigger time. Assembly of several rifles.

This is a post noting a failure of a part from a certain supplier and the failure of that part had nothing to do with the builder. The CH was assembled by M1S not me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Maybe you should consider not posting you moron! After 11 years and 8000 shots his CH latch breaks. A $15 fix if he buys a whole new CH.

So tell me Einstein, what exactly did he do wrong (or what could anybody possible do wrong) during the build process that would cause the latch to break?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]
To fuzzywuz  whats up with the attitude of you and others like you.It was a T handle latch that failed after 10 years Im sure if it was built wrong as you are implying by your comment it would have broken or malfunctioned way before now.Mybe some of you newbies should shut up unless you have something relevant to say.To AFSOC its good to hear stories of when parts fail as it gives a good idea as to what we can expect as to parts life.I would chalk it up to the people you got the part from as T handles dont break often.Never the less 10 years is not bad for a part that gets yanked and slammed an awfull lot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
AFSOC ...

Just try again, dude.

You'll find when you put things together, they don't always come out right.

Happens to the best of us, my man.

Others here may have done the same, but hadn't the guts to ask.

Hard to tell what happened unless I saw the rifle personally. However, you've built them before, so strip the whole thing down and see what happa.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
don't buy model 1 parts...

i've even thought about getting a PRI charging handle but i haven't finalized what i think about a steel charging handle in an alumnium upper
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]
what was your first failure?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the post. Things like this are helpful in that they help new people like me form some opinions about  which parts are prone to failure, and which manufacturers/distributors have the most problems.

It also helps people who are totally inept rationalize paying $1100. 00 for a rifle that could be built for $600.00. Then they get to flame you, and pretend they're "in the know." I wonder if they pay to have their rifles cleaned?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what was your first failure?

Second Parts failure.
First was a Disconnector (Replaced FCG with Bushy parts)
This was the Second parts Failure (Will be replaced with a quality part.)
As well these are the only parts failures I have encountered.
I did swap out the Buffer prior to assembly they sent me a plastic Buffer filled with Shot.......
I swapped for the aluminum buffer.

I now have several ARs and all work fine I have never again used M1S
I have used parts from MA but no longer possess those weapons.

Most of what I have now are Mutts But all built with Quality parts.

My most current Has CMT Upper Bushy Barrel Spares box FCG (All name parts just don't know who's) Stinger lower, Magpul Stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]
The fact is a part failing from 10 years use has nothing to do with the guy building it himself,if it were related to being assembled wrong it wouldnt have lasted so long.As any one here who has built ARs can attest it can be at times finicky and if its assembled wrong you will know imediately not 10 years down the road.A bad part is a bad part that simple.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
AFSOC ...

Just try again, dude.

You'll find when you put things together, they don't always come out right.

Happens to the best of us, my man.

Others here may have done the same, but hadn't the guts to ask.

Hard to tell what happened unless I saw the rifle personally. However, you've built them before, so strip the whole thing down and see what happa.

Dude I know I was only posting the failure as info.
I really don't care why it failed I was merely noting that it had.
Sort of a Community service Bad parts are bad parts.
I would certainly have thought it would have failed 10 years ago but....
In any case a couple other folks shot the rifle that day so any one of them could =have been a meathead. But it certainly should not have broken that easily 10 years old or not.
I'll be picking up a few charging handles this weekend anyway what is one more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I keep thinking M1S for a beater/truck gun...but this week I've read a lot of posts about small parts breaking.  Granted this was after 10 years, but the disconnect was right after building.  Thanks for the valuble post, I'll be doing a little more thinking about where I spend my money.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#27]
2 failures in 10 years...must have done something right.  Sounds like a helluva build to me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Model 1 and ASA use Chinese parts.

Cite?

Proof?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Who's got a list of prefered parts suppliers. Maybe a short list of who does business with China. I know to buy forged and not cast lowers but what about small parts?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The fact is a part failing from 10 years use has nothing to do with the guy building it himself,if it were related to being assembled wrong it wouldnt have lasted so long.As any one here who has built ARs can attest it can be at times finicky and if its assembled wrong you will know imediately not 10 years down the road.A bad part is a bad part that simple.

+1

some of you newbies need to shut the fuck up and keep your smartass comments and patronizing bullshit to yourself until you know something.

Thanks for the info AFSOC.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like it is failing to latch from your description.  What  broke?  Just how did the faulty part fail?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
- 1 for Model 1hr

Only 2 failures in 11+ years?

Don't seem to me that you can back up your statement based on his results!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think this was the point of the post, but I wouldn't be affraid to buy from Model 1. A part breaking after 11 years is actually a selling point for Model 1. I could live with that track record.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#35]
10 years is good, but............

8,000 rounds really isn't very much for 2 failures.   I've got Bushmasters with a lot more rounds than that with ZERO part failures.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#36]
The part that failed is the Stamped latch on the CH the small hook that engaged the detent in the upper is broken off at about the point where it meets the rest of the part there is actually skinned metal from the latch on the upper (apparently this aluminum is harder than the latch) the anodizing on the upper is not even scratched. So no it does not latch. I will replace the part and wait for the next failure. 8000 rounds is a guess but is likely close. Seeing as the use of this particular part I would be surprised if one ever broke. This is the first broken CH latch that I have ever encountered. Like I said for the price paid I am not complaining just informing. YMMV
This rifle has not been abused but it has not been babied either.  Nothing fancy just a basic rifle.
P.S. just to make you all yearn for the good old days I paid $275 for the complete kit......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I give you four out of five trolls
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Part is cheap enough but not readily available....
2 bucks for the part and about 5+ for shipping Luckily there is a gun show this weekend.....

Call CMMG and ask them to bring one for ya, they'll be there I just spoke with John today.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top