Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 1:41:28 PM EDT
Has anyone pulled the comp from one of these and fired without replacing with another device?Noise results,flash increase,etc.Is it necessary to have a device on the muzzle or is it cosmetic on a non-auto gun?Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The comp is just a "post-ban" junk part.  It has no usefulness on a AR.  If you could take it off and replace it with a FH you'd be much better off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What I really want to know is if any muzzle accessory is required on a non auto,non night situation gun and what are shooter eperiences with same.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
No team member comments?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Define required.

Will you harm your rifle without one? No.   You may notice a change in the muzzle blast signature, but it won't be louder.

Are you shooting with NVG?  
Are you shooting against hostiles?  

If either both of the above are no, then a FH is not required.

That said, it is a good thing to have on a carbine because the fireball (especially from XM193) can be pretty big (even on a cloudy day).  

Besides, flash hiders look damn cool.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats what I was looking for;how about flash and fireball on the Colt Accurized rifle ;does the longer tube obviate the need for a muzzle device or does the use of optics on this rifle render any flash a non-issue.Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It serves as a muzzle protector while being kind to the shooters next to you.

Not a bad thing to have at all, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I know that when I removed mine it looked pretty crappy, its got the two notches for the pins cut in the barrel and the finish is messed up there, so you dont want to leave it looking like that.

From all that Ive learned it will definitely be quieter without the muzzle break, that thing is deafening.

I kept my barrel at 16 for muzzle velocity and so I could have it threaded; I had it threaded and added an A2 suppresor, workds excellent, huge sound difference.  

If nothing else get your barrel lathed down and threaded so it looks decent at least.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#8]
If for nothing else, do it as a muzzle protector.  That way you don't have to worry so much when you shove it in the truck, etc.  It's also good for 3-Gun type matches.  During the summer I saw a guy kneel and transition to his pistol; as he pushed the rifle aside, the muzzle dragged itself along the ground.  It was hard enough to make a cloud in the HARD packed ground.  Maybe it wouldn't have hurt his muzzle, but whether it would or not is a moot point, since he had a FH.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I've posted this before, but here's a picture without the brake:

I haven't fired at night, but it is more quiet now for the firer.  Felt recoil was only slightly more.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I've owned an MT6400C since they first came on the market. First thing that I did after I put a couple of hundred rounds through it to make sure that it didn't have any inherent defects was to remove the factory compensator.

I shot it this way for a couple of months. It's far easier on your fellow shooters without the comp. I really didn't notice any difference in muzzle flash, but I never shot it at night and we have over 300 days of sunny weather a year out here so cloudy days were few and far between. Besides, it's a compensator and not a flash hider.

I later turned the muzzle down and single-pointed it to accept an A2 FH. It works fine and looks right.

If you're talking about the CR6724 when you mention Colt Accurized Rifle I'd say forget about any sort of muzzle device. I also have one of these and with its 24" bbl. I've never seen any need to hang anything off the end of that barrel! It pretty much burns all of the powder in the 5.56 case.

Unless a shooter is competing in 3-gun or is actually using his AR for chasing BG's using a brake or FH as a muzzle protector is only an excuse for lack of proper gun etiquette!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to have a FS installed on my 6400, probably by ADCO.  I know on some AR's they have to cut the barrel, then thread in order for it to be more pleasing to the eye(losing some velocity).  What exactly would they do to my 6400.  Anybody w/experience with this model?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#12]
It isn't needed, but most people think it looks disgusting with the comp, and almost as bad without.  Spend the couple bucks to get it threaded and have an A2 dropped on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I took the comp off my 6400C myself then sent it to ADCO.They didnt cut the barrel they just threaded it and installed the A2.The barrel was already 16" so I didnt have to permanently install the A2.Had my upper back in a week,great company.

http://www.andever-pa.com/images/fh.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top