Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2004 3:42:14 AM EDT
I am a new member, first I would like to say that this is the best ar-15 site there is. I am about 3 weeks away from getting my first ar, it's a DPMS a-15 Carbine with 11.5" bbl with a fixed 5.5" FH, it has a forged upper and lower and I got the bbl chrome lined for the extra 20$. I've shot DPMS rifles before and the quality was good, I was just wondering if any one of you guys own one of these carbines or have experince with one that you could tell me about. It is going to be for close range shooting(100 yds and under), and I just realy like the looks of the CAR-15. Any of your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I would classify myself as a newb in this area still--but my first thought is:  Do you think that there may be a little velocity and power given up by having a 11.5" barrel--even for 100yd work?

Somebody made up some ballistics charts in the ammo section and w/ 14.5" barrels the tumbling/fragmentation (emp. on frag) effective range is like 75-80yd avg w/ most types of ammo.

W/ a 11.5" that would be in the neighborhood of 55-65yds of effective fragmentation.

I would probably look at a M4ery.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
With the shorter bbl there will be velocity an energy reduction, I did not think it would be a big problem at the distances I was going to shot at(50-100 yds). My intentions are to have a good home/close range weapon, I live in the backwoods of PA and over penatration inside my home is not a big concern, but outside my home I want better distance than a handgun, but not as much as high powered deer rifle, I have a wife and three children, if the SHTF I'm not going on search and destroy missions, I just want a compact rifle for last resort defense of my family and myself. Do you think this rifle will serve that purpose good, or is my thinking flawed?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Fisrt off.... ..  HI !!!  

Second... I have a 14.5 inch DPMS with phantom FS on a Bushy lower that runs like a champ.  I love the looks of the long 5.5 inch flash hider too.  Instead of going the 11.5 inch barrel length maybee go the 14.5 and have the 5.5 icher slide over the rest of ther bbl.  That way you are still 16 inch legal and will get the look you want without sacrificing your velociy / fragmentation range.

Or look into a 14.5 with a phantom or vortex.  Either FS is very good.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 16" pre-ban DPMS Match.  Mine seems pretty accurate.  

I get ~1" groups at a little under 100 yards with a cheap red dot.  I was thinking about getting it threaded for a muzzle break, but it's hard to justify spending $60 to thread a barrel when I can just buy a new one for $150 or so.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top