Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 7:05:33 PM EDT
Kind of a dumb question but I'm thinking about getting into some sort of service rifle competition (CMP related) and want a good upper. Looking at an RRA national match. Of course now with the AWB over I could get pre-ban. I was wondering what most people used? Any disadvantage to a flash hider? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have "neutered" RRA DCM rifle and it shoots great.  Others have rifles with hiders and shoot great too.  

I don't think it makes any difference.  But I like the looks of the FH, so when it's time to rebarrel, I will ask for a FH.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a plain RRA stainless DCM, too. I think the stainless is too clean looking for a FH. Mine shoot great as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kind of a dumb question but I'm thinking about getting into some sort of service rifle competition (CMP related) and want a good upper. Looking at an RRA national match. Of course now with the AWB over I could get pre-ban. I was wondering what most people used? Any disadvantage to a flash hider? Thanks.

One minor thing, both the NRA and the CMP sanction highpower matches, but NRA ones are far more numerous.   NRA matches are where you get your classification (Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master, High Master).  CMP matches are where you get award points towards the Distinguished Rifleman's badge.

Summary of serivce rifle shooting
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no real benefit  in having a flash hider on a competition rifle so it would merely be a preference on whay you like to look at.
Just don't tighten the flash hider too tightly, seems to be detrimental if too tight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no real benefit  in having a flash hider on a competition rifle so it would merely be a preference on whay you like to look at.
Just don't tighten the flash hider too tightly, seems to be detrimental if too tight.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The only real advantage of the A2 FS is that it doesn't kick up as much dust when shooting from prone.  In theory the FS has a negative effect on accuracy, but in practice it does not make a significant difference.  This is service rifle, not benchrest.  I once shot next to a high-master who had a FS on his rifle, and that guy could shoot Xs all day long.

So if you want a FS, I say go ahead and put one on.  Like RR said, just make sure it's not on very tight and it will be fine.

FWIW, I have a FS on my current CMP rifle and when it comes time to rebarrel (next season probably), I will have a FS on the next one too.  Personally, I like the look of that gleaming stainless steel with the black suppressor accenting the end.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]
There is one appreciable benefit of having an FH on a service rifle. The crown is protected from damage.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If your prone to dropping rifles on the crown may I sugest another hobbie.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]
This same question comes up from time to time.  I've been shooting High Power since '98 in the US Navy.  General consesnus on the rifle line is that there is NO benefit to having a FH on your rifle as evaluated on the target.

BUT, there CAN be a negative.  Namely, it has been observed that the TORQUE used to keep the FH on plays a role in the harmonic of the barrel.  Guys who cranked them on with crush washers, using plenty of torque to get the A2 timed right, saw some loss of accuracy over a bare muzzle.  Those guys that use a peel washer and only enough torque to keep the FH on and timed properly have no problems.  To prevent this problem, the weapons off of the van from Crane all do not have FH on them (bare muzzle, no threads).

So, the short answer, it won't hurt you if it's installed properly for ACCURACY, but it can hurt you if it is not.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This same question comes up from time to time.  I've been shooting High Power since '98 in the US Navy.  General consesnus on the rifle line is that there is NO benefit to having a FH on your rifle as evaluated on the target.

BUT, there CAN be a negative.  Namely, it has been observed that the TORQUE used to keep the FH on plays a role in the harmonic of the barrel.  Guys who cranked them on with crush washers, using plenty of torque to get the A2 timed right, saw some loss of accuracy over a bare muzzle.  Those guys that use a peel washer and only enough torque to keep the FH on and timed properly have no problems.  To prevent this problem, the weapons off of the van from Crane all do not have FH on them (bare muzzle, no threads).

So, the short answer, it won't hurt you if it's installed properly for ACCURACY, but it can hurt you if it is not.

Tom

+1

I'd like to add that not having a FH allows you to easily inspect the muzzle crown at every cleaning, without going through the hassle of removing and reinstalling the FH. The crown is one of the first places to inspect if you experience a sudden unexplained loss of accuracy.

Oh, and BTW - a rifle doesn't necessarily have to be dropped on the crown to make the crown cause accuracy problems. Many top target shooters will get a re-crown or a touch-up after a couple of thousand rounds and see a definate return of accuracy.

I'd vote for no FH on a competition Service Rifle. That's how I opted on mine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say no flash hider as well.   It just serves no purpose other than to complicate things and *maybe* play with your accuracy.

Go neutered for your match HP upper..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top