Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2004 6:12:35 AM EDT
can someone explain what is wrong with this ad?  It doesn't sound quit right but I don't know just how far off base it is.  I'm not interested in buynig it, but just wondering just how much truth there could be to this guys ad.  www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976515557.htm
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
can someone explain what is wrong with this ad?  www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976515557.htm

The price.

FB
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
UMMM..... That fact that there is NO gun registration in this Country!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
When some people take possession of a stripped lower, they have the FFL register it as a pistol, supposedly so they can build it as a pistol and circumvent the ATF classifying the weapon as an SBR.  However, the ATF has stated that the important issue is that the lower left the factory stripped.  If it ever had a stock attached, it can NEVER have a sub-16" barrel without the $200 tax.

In other words, what the guy is doing is trying to hype a reason why you should pay $800.  Just pay for a normal stripped lower, and get a letter from the factory stating it left there as a virgin stripped receiver.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]

they have the FFL register it as a pistol,

The FFL doesn't register anything -- the FFL is responsible for the transfer. There is no registration in this country.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#5]

The FFL doesn't register anything...

Sorry, semantics.  The FFL writes "rifle" or "pistol" on the 4473 when you buy the gun.

There is no registration in this country.

Again, semantics.  Ever seen a dealer's bound book?  Do you know where those go when the dealer closes up shop?  You do know that the ATF can look at those at will for a criminal investigation, don't you?  And of course this all assumes that the insta check system isn't keeping a permanent cyberspace trail...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is another link regarding this subject, according to the ATF is ok to build a pistol granted that you can prove the receiver used is a virgin stripped lower. A stripped lower is what it is neither a long gun or hand gun, it is a receiver that has not been assembled as of yet.  There are many opinions regarding this matter among members on this board. My advice would to be make sure at minimum is that any lower you buy make sure it is listed on the 4473 as stripped receiver. I just purchased one and my FFL listed it as a stripped receiver.

The link below has some very useful information in it that may clear up some of the details that you are looking for ...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201723
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry, semantics.  The FFL writes "rifle" or "pistol" on the 4473 when you buy the gun.

If you want to get REALLY nitpicky, the FFL doesn't write it, he checks Handgun, Long gun, or Both on the 4473.  

(I'm referring to the NICS stuff at the top on the back - it may actually be written-in somewhere further down, I don't recall. )

But you are correct, of course.  I've seen all sorts of chatter about how it is unnecessary to have the 4473 reflect it as a Handgun, but I have yet to see a convincing argument why a buyer SHOULDN'T do it as long as his dealer is willing to do it that way.  For my pistol build, I asked the FFL if he would check "Handgun" on the 4473 and do the NICS check accordingly for my stripped lower - he had no problem with that.  FWIW, he also wrote in "stripped receiver" next to the model on that line of the form.  Would I have been fine without doing this?  Probably.  Does this give me jsust a little something more to fall back on if my build is ever called into question?  Maybe.  Did it cost anything or hurt anything?  Not that I can tell.  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There is no registration in this country.

Again, semantics.  Ever seen a dealer's bound book?  Do you know where those go when the dealer closes up shop?  You do know that the ATF can look at those at will for a criminal investigation, don't you?  And of course this all assumes that the insta check system isn't keeping a permanent cyberspace trail...

When dealing with the ATF, it's all semantics. Furthermore, given the recent furor over the sunset of the AWB and the inaccurate reporting by major news outlets, I think it's very important that we, as informed and knowledgeable gun owners, use the correct terms lest the uninformed pick up our bad habits and further confuse the situation.

Have I seen a dealer's bound book? Yes. Have I ever filled one out? Yes. Have I managed a gunshop, one that dealt in Title II (e.g. "Class III) items? Yes. Do I know where the forms go? Yes.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

Jeremy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top