Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 9:08:47 PM EDT
OK, I'm still dishin' out the newb questionsh.gif, so here goes:

What's with the M4 barrels and the crimped part of the barrel? Why does the barrel have that narrow section on it? It looks like the barrel was put together from 2 separate pieces. Now, I know that many rifle barrels are made from 2 separate pieces, but why do they make the M4 barrels like that? My mini-14 had a barrel that was made from 2 pieces, but it wasn't emphasized the way the M4 barrel is.

So, what's the story with the M4 barrels?

*edit* - OK, let's see if I can say "M4 barrels" one more time. M4 barrels.

D'oh! That was 2 more times. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Strapping the M203 G-Launcher when you get one
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at the image below and you can see where the collar of the grenade launcher fits into that notch in the M4's barrel.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. So, is the barrel actually 2 separate parts or is the barrel 1 piece molded to have that grenade launcher notch?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Interesting. So, is the barrel actually 2 separate parts or is the barrel 1 piece molded to have that grenade launcher notch?

one piece, the notch is turned down on a mill/lathe.  the barrel isn't molded
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope the barrel is not "molded"! It should be cut on a lathe. Made of one peice to. Personaly I don't see any reason why everyone wants a m4, other that that it looks like an authentic military weapon. But then they molest it with a bunch of other non-issue toys. I hope to get one built soon never the less.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope the barrel is not "molded"! It should be cut on a lathe. Made of one peice to. Personaly I don't see any reason why everyone wants a m4, other that that it looks like an authentic military weapon. But then they molest it with a bunch of other non-issue toys. I hope to get one built soon never the less.

that is the exact reason.  I guess it's useful too if you buy a 37mm F.launcher, or have a legit M203.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hope to get one built soon never the less.

Why do you want to get one build soon since, as you said, there's no reason for anyone to want one?  Looking to do some molesting of your own?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope to get one built soon never the less.hr

Why do you want to get one build soon since, as you said, there's no reason for anyone to want one?  Looking to do some molesting of your own?

I just want to own one of every common varient of the AR. I currently only have a 20" hbar with standard A2 upper and a xm177 with A2 upper. I just got though returning them to there "unmolested by Clinton" configuration that God intended. I like my weapons to look like the crapy M16A1s & M16A2s that I used as a member of Uncle Sams Confused Group. I plan on getting three more recievers soon, and I intend on building 1 M4, 1 light weight car, and I don't know, maybe a 24" standard? I'm not woried about building a varmet gun because I think that is less likely to be banned.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You two tools are entertaining as hell.

The EXACT reason I have one if you want to know is its 14.5" in length (shorter is better for my uses) and its lightweight under the handguards.  I dont own H-bars.

Since you can assume Im a poser for having one, I can assume some things about you

Ahh, you're right, I totally forgot about the weight save.  please accept my most generous....nothing.  However, I was only thinking about the little notch when I typed that post.  Come to think of it, all my barrels are gov't profile
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope to get one built soon never the less.

I just want to own one of every common varient of the AR.  

So it's OK for you to want one, but there's no reason for anyone else to.

Cool, I understand now.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
It just seems to me that EVERYONE AND HIS BROTHER wants a M4. I thought why M4? Why not a more historical weapon? Then I just figured it out, we all have every other AR varient ever made.(sorry el_roto)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Everybody and his brother wants a M4 because M4's are cool as hell.  Need I say more?

P.S. welcome newbie!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Personally I like the weight savings, and the coolness points.  Lumpage, I don't think you are a poser dude.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks rockytherotty.

As far as the whole "molding" thing; remember, I'm a newb.hile,
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks rockytherotty.

As far as the whole "molding" thing; remember, I'm a newb.

I was interested in an M4 for a while, but then decided I'd rather have a carb. I actually like the idea of a heavier barrel. Don't plan on hiking with it very far, so the weight's not an issue. I definately understand the appeal of an M4 though. While functionality trumps looks, I think the looks of the gun are important. I mean, who wants a gun that they think looks stupid?

All newbs want an HBAR.... then you add crap like a light, railed FF fore arm, Optic etc... then you wise up and get an M4 barrel.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I got one so I could play Army and feel like a cool guy... I had to mold mine out of play dough as my mom will only let me have airsoft and play guns though.. J/K I love my M4 and would not get any other carbine if I had the chance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I got one so I could play Army and feel like a cool guy... I had to mold mine out of play dough as my mom will only let me have airsoft and play guns though.. J/K I love my M4 and would not get any other carbine if I had the chance.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Remember the Adobe car from Saturday Night Live? Well they are back building rifles now...

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]
The M4 "notch" adds to the areodynamics of the barrel, increasing accuracy to the point that you don't even need to aim the thing.

When I shoot my M4 I don't even open my eyes, I just start pulling the trigger with my eyes closed and flail the rifle around in a circle.  It is increadable to groups I get at 3000 yards.

I don't know why people hate going to the range with me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks rockytherotty.

As far as the whole "molding" thing; remember, I'm a newb.

I was interested in an M4 for a while, but then decided I'd rather have a carb.  

The M4 is a carbine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#23]
her
Hey! Maybe I could close my eyes and use an M4 to punch speed holes in my car! Man, I can learn everything I need to know from Homer Simpson.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#24]
It does seem like everyone wants an M4 Carbine these days. Which is why when I decided to build my very first AR I decided to build a 20'' gov't profile AR15. I figured I'd go the retro look.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]
You're hearing a lot of people talking about buying M4s now because the ban just lifted; for the last 10 years the only M4-like weapons you could buy - that didn't cost $1500 and up - had fixed tele-stocks, loud and obnoxious muzzle brakes instead of flash hiders and (important to some) no bayonet lug.  In other words, they sucked ass!

What you are seeing now is 10 years of pent-up retail pressure being released all at once, so naturally it seems like "Everyone wants an M4."  What's closer to the truth is nearly everyone who has wanted an M4 within the last 10 years but waited for the ban to lift is looking for one now (along with others who are bowing to the peer pressure); there are quite a few patient souls who are going to let the feeding frenzy die down then reap the benefits when the Supply/Demand curve flattens out.

If the ban had never been, people would have been buying M4s all along; this is merely a statisical anamoly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top