Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 8:47:58 PM EDT
I have been wanting a shorter AR15 for CQ type situations - I have already been advised (thanks Combat-Jack) not to go with OA93, 98, Carbon pistols,etc. What about say Bushy's 11.5" upper and the likes? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

sst7
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, 11.5s are reputed to run more reliably than most 10.5s;  Further, Gem-Tech recommends using a minimum 11.5 length with a .223 silencer.  On the plus-side for 10.5 is the much bigger fireball and , well, let's face it, 10.5 looks WAY cooler ;)
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the flash suppressor adequate or would I be better off replacing it with say a vortex or phantom?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It has to stay like this 922(r)

f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chinboogie/detail?.dir=/c166&.dnm=6797.jpg

Dont know why pics wont post Ive tried 3 web host sites I have no luck. Only hyperlinks work
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You need a better flash suppressor for sure. Is this for a pistol? I can't remember which thread was yours. Were you the guy thinking on taking one with him to the sandbox?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You need a better flash suppressor for sure. Is this for a pistol? I can't remember which thread was yours. Were you the guy thinking on taking one with him to the sandbox?

Yes thats me and yes I was thinking pistol...although I would be taking a stock w/me if headed to the sandbox.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My 10.5 runs like a raped ape, absolutely no reliability problems whatsoever.  With the vortex on there the flash isn't all that bad either, though I haven't taken her out in the dark yet to do a proper test.  

I wish I could tell you who made it, but it was a no name A1 upper when I got it, and I've since replaced every single part but the barrel.  I think it's either a J&T or a M&A parts kit, but I can't be sure.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My 10.5 runs like a raped ape, absolutely no reliability problems whatsoever.  With the vortex on there the flash isn't all that bad either, though I haven't taken her out in the dark yet to do a proper test.  

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=29925

I wish I could tell you who made it, but it was a no name A1 upper when I got it, and I've since replaced every single part but the barrel.  I think it's either a J&T or a M&A parts kit, but I can't be sure.

Awesome setup!! Exactly what I had in mind - do you know how much you are into it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes thats me and yes I was thinking pistol...although I would be taking a stock w/me if headed to the sandbox.

LMT. Have Wes build it and test fire it, he'll find any real problems. It's on the light side, which is good. Many 11.5s are HBARs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
other questions:

1 as far as a lower I was thinking Bushy or RR....But would Mega or brand-x be reliable and do the job just as well and cheaper?

2 are there must haves for this config.? Such as "brand-x has better bolt carrier and group" or make sure you switch out this for that, etc.

Thanks for all info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome setup!! Exactly what I had in mind - do you know how much you are into it?

I got a lot of it from the EE here, including the registered reciever, and I got some really, really good prices on things.  Here's the complete list:

Registered Reciever, $7,500 (including original 10.5" upper)

A3 flat top upper, $85 complete from CMMG

Old style vortex, $20

YHM rail system, traded for about $100 worth of Thermold magazines

Aluminum foward grip, $50 from Olympic Arms

Arms #40 Buis, $85 from pete-in-NH

Eotech 551, $200 from pete-in-NH

After the Reciever, everything else was done a little at a time, and when deals came up; I really don't have that much into all the extras.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMT. Have Wes build it and test fire it, he'll find any real problems. It's on the light side, which is good. Many 11.5s are HBARs.

Thank you.
Is LMT linked to this site?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
RR is gonna be hard to do in WA, but its possible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I got a lot of it from the EE here, including the registered reciever, and I got some really, really good prices on things.  Here's the complete list:
Registered Reciever, $7,500 (including original 10.5" upper)
A3 flat top upper, $85 complete from CMMG
Old style vortex, $20
YHM rail system, traded for about $100 worth of Thermold magazines
Aluminum foward grip, $50 from Olympic Arms
Arms #40 Buis, $85 from pete-in-NH
Eotech 551, $200 from pete-in-NH
After the Reciever, everything else was done a little at a time, and when deals came up, and I really don't have that much into all the extras.

thanks for info - though mine won't be a SBR (at least stateside)
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
RR is gonna be hard to do in WA, but its possible.

What would you go with receiver wise? - Do you think that RR is hard due to backorders or is there something that I am missing?

Thanks

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Contractor or serviceman?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Contractor or serviceman?

service (Army Guard, Intel)

edited for clarification
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Gunbert, how do you like having the FSP visible through your EOTech window?  Is it a distraction?

Would you prefer a flip-down FS?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Gunbert, how do you like having the FSP visible through your EOTech window?  Is it a distraction?

Would you prefer a flip-down FS?

To be honest I don't even notice it.  If I stumble across a really good deal on a new gas block and flip up front site I may get them, but they aren't really high on the priority list.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#19]
You'll want an 11.5 with Phantom (the A2 is not enough IMHO) or Vortex (a can would even be better).

The barrel must be 1:7 twist so it can handle 75gr TAP or 77gr MK262..  Refer to the Ammo Oracle as to why you'll want to shoot these rounds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to all so far. Any additional info/advice is welcome and appreciated.

thank

sst7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top