Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:28:48 PM EDT
Trying to decide between the SBR route, or just going with the 5C1 FH.  Any pics would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats a 5C2.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
whoops...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]

TG
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
$200 bucks, all the red tape, and your name on a special list, just for 1.5" aint worth it IMO..

But it's your money..
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
$200 bucks, all the red tape, and your name on a special list, just for 1.5" aint worth it IMO..

But it's your money..

I'm new here so forgive me for not understanding this statement. Explanation please?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking that with a phantom FH it's more like a 1/2" when you consider the FH on the 16"bbl....but that's not really the reason.  Will it affect the value?  And if I'm correct I think that several uppers could be used on a SBR lower, so it may or not be worth it, really haven't decided yet.  Class III firearms have outperformed most other asset classes, so I'm thinking will $200 now, be worth more later?  Plus I can have fun with it now.  TG-  nice set up, the FH looks great on there!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Lumpy.  Yes, she's my daughter.  She's 12, and will be getting her own M4 for Christmas this year... only she doesn't know it yet.  She shoots very well, and bugs me to go to the range all the time.

I just hope she doesn't see this post!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
One more for you...

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks, Lumpy.  Yes, she's my daughter.  She's 12, and will be getting her own M4 for Christmas this year... only she doesn't know it yet.  She shoots very well, and bugs me to go to the range all the time.

I just hope she doesn't see this post!  

Why the hell didn't you get ME an AR when I was 12??!! Damn you!! Hehehehe, outstanding job there Edge767.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the pics, I think the Phantom 5c1 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I  Will it affect the value?

No.

And if I'm correct I think that several uppers could be used on a SBR lower, so it may or not be worth it, really haven't decided yet.

Yes they can..

Class III firearms have outperformed most other asset classes, so I'm thinking will $200 now, be worth more later?

Full autos increase in value because there are no more for civilians after the 86 ban.. I would guess that having your AR on the NFA list as a SBR may lower it's value, as you would have a hard time selling it.. What with the transfer taxes involved
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a little unclear on these new YHMs.  Are some of them actually dual "flash hiders / compensators?"  I dig the look of the YHMs, but not too sure of using a comp on a defense gun for fear of lost velocity.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, I have a Colt 6400C "M4"... all I need to do is thread the barrel for the phantom (5c2) right?  What is this permanently attaching a FH stuff?  Someone enlighten me on the "rules" as I'm not too sure.  Do you measure the barrel from the bolt face or barrel ext???  (sigh) thanks guys.

To answer ShadowOne's question above.....

The YHM FH are supposed to be better at "compensating" than other FH on the market.  As for loss in velocity... by the meaning "defensive" I take it as engaging targets from 10 -40 yards,  I dont think it'll be a problem.  Maybe 100- 150 fps loss on the extreme high side???  Which honestly would still make the BG think twice about taking your candy so to speak.  However for defensive situations I would turn to a handgun instead of an "assault rifle"... the latter might not hold up too well in court, if you know what I mean.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The YHM FH are supposed to be better at "compensating" than other FH on the market.  As for loss in velocity... by the meaning "defensive" I take it as engaging targets from 10 -40 yards,  I dont think it'll be a problem.  Maybe 100- 150 fps loss on the extreme high side???  Which honestly would still make the BG think twice about taking your candy so to speak.  However for defensive situations I would turn to a handgun instead of an "assault rifle"... the latter might not hold up too well in court, if you know what I mean.  

Yes, I agree about using a handgun in everyday self-defense situations which are really within 20 feet.  But for taking down zombies in SHTF situations, engagement is anywhere from arm's reach out to 500 yds.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Agree.  I would just go with the phantom.  It's still more of a FH than a compensator anyway, and it is (from what I've read) really good at hiding flash.  Those "zombies" wouldn't be happy either way!So does anyone know the deal with the "permanently attached"  FH thing?  Specifically on a colt MT 6400C (M4).  Can I just remove the pinned muzzle brake and thread the barrel to attach the phantom (5c2)... Or do I need to do this "permanently attached" thingy. (how? pin it?)  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So does anyone know the deal with the "permanently attached"  FH thing?  Specifically on a colt MT 6400C (M4).  Can I just remove the pinned muzzle brake and thread the barrel to attach the phantom (5c2)... Or do I need to do this "permanently attached" thingy. (how? pin it?)  Thanks

Here's the deal. A barrel needs to be at least 16" long according to federal law. If not than you need to do one of two things...

Register the lower as a SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) which involves a $200 tax stamp and a lot of time & paper work. You would also have to check to see if that's legal in your state.

The other option is to permanently attach some form of muzzle device. A welded on FH or comp becomes part of the barrel. Those that have a 14.5" barrel have either a Phantom or Vortex (both are 1.5" long) FH permanently attached bringing the total barrel length to that magic 16" length.

In you case, I believe your barrel is already 16" long. I do not know if the muzzle device that come with it can be removed or if it will need to be cut of? If it can be removed and the barrel threaded without cutting it down, you will be able to install any muzzle device that you want without worrying about it being permanently attached. If it has to be cut off then your best bet will be to have it cut down to 14.5 and have either a Phantom or Vortex permanently installed.

PS - the best method of permanently attaching a FH would be to pin it and then weld over it. Some people suggest soldering it on but I feel there are too many risks involved with that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I have some that I can email to you.  Hunt101.com still not allowing uploads.  Let me know if you want me to email them.

ADH
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#24]
if kerry wins, i am definately getting a c-beta mag......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top