Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:00:07 PM EDT
Hey everybody! I've been really interested in becoming a gunsmith for A LONG time ( I used to fix my friends B.B. and pellet guns when I was 10 or so. Usually replacement of plunger or spring, adjusting of sights was another common thing.). I just don't know where to start and I thought my family here at ARFCOM could point me in the right direction. I apologize if this is another topic that has been beaten to death. I've looked at the mail order schools and correspondence courses and really don't think those are right for me. However if anybody has done one of these and it was complete enough, then by all means , let me know which school it was. Thank you all so much! Take care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
first buy some books!
gun smithing kinks

then find a local smith that will teach you.
become his "go'fer"
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks a bunch! That is a good start.Take care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Firearms are actually a lot easier to work on than pellet guns
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is where you need to start if you want to be a gunsmith.. Use the books if you only wanna call yourself a smith..

www.pagunsmith.edu/
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys SO MUCH! My wife and I talked about the school in PA before. I will now be contacting them via the hot link. If there is anything I can do to help you all , let me know. Giving you my guns and you guys stuffing it in my wifes pooper and posting pics are out. Sorry...well at least the gun part is out. Take care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link to a few from the NRA.

www.nrahq.org/education/gunsmithing.asp

Good luck in your studies.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a school in SE Oklahoma that has a gunsmithing degree.  Just do a search for it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I just graduated, From here

http://209.129.150.253/programsgunsmithing.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Colorado School of Trades:
GUNSMITHING  
Farrier Science
303-233-4697
800-234-4595
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I understand the best one is in Trinidad Colorado.  You can teach yourself if you go through a lot of guns and have several thousand for tools and room for a small shop.  A real gunsmith degree would be much faster.

I am probably up to armorer level and may consider a formal degree for a retirement plan if guns are still legal then.  90% of the Smiths I see are over 50 so there may be some demand by then...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top