Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:18:25 PM EDT
I have an AR15 that I have had for a long time and failures have been far and few inbetween. The last two times I've gone to the range I've started to get a number of jams where the bolt feeds a new round and catches the old round creating the stove piping failure. I've completely cleaned the gun including the bolt/carrier. The extractor seems fine and the extraction pin has a lot of force behind it. I'm using Federal XM193.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of mags are you using?  use a good spring in a dpms telfon or lebelle mag... and a magpul follower...

what kind of ar is your ar?  m4 or a2?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thoroughly Clean the AR. Dissassemble the bolt and clean it. Clean the BOre and Chamber, use CLP on everything (not dripping wet mind you). Check your mags. BUt more than likely your AR jus needs a good cleaning.

*EDIT* I jus read where you said you cleaned it. Everyone has their own idea about what 'CLEANING' means, I still say its a dirty bolt or rifle, if anything change the EXTRACTOR SPRING, doesnt cost but a bux or two. ALso did you change anything else on your AR. Alot of ppl were running into issues when the went to TELE STOCKs from Fixed and didnt change all the parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have made changes over time but the gun has functioned flawlessly after the changes for a while.

I cleaned the gun very good. I took the bolt apart and cleaned it good. I lubed everything. I was doing some research and they said to change to a stiffer buffer spring and a stiffer extraction spring.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
From my personal experience and what you typed, this is sounding like one of two issues.

1.  The ejector spring may be weakening, or there might be shavings down the ejector hole inhibiting it's function.

2.  The bolt is short stroking for some reason.  I had this with a gun I worked on, discoved the low pro GB had worked loose and was not letting it cycle fully.

When it IS functioning what is the pattern of empties?  Are you shooting wolf or other Russian ammo?  Just some stuff to think on.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree i would say the ejector is not working right.Ever since I switched to chromed ejectors and extractors from les baer and X power springs for the two I have had zero problems.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Ejector could be at fault.

On ejection issues I impulsively try an oring around the extractor spring, since it's so cheap. Do you have any augmentation there already?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From my personal experience and what you typed, this is sounding like one of two issues.

1.  The ejector spring may be weakening, or there might be shavings down the ejector hole inhibiting it's function.

2.  The bolt is short stroking for some reason.  I had this with a gun I worked on, discoved the low pro GB had worked loose and was not letting it cycle fully.

When it IS functioning what is the pattern of empties?  Are you shooting wolf or other Russian ammo?  Just some stuff to think on.

I'll check these things tonite. I have a replacemetn ejector spring so I'll try that. Should I mess with the buffer spring?

It's shooting empties both forward and to the side, close and far. I've onlu been using Federal XM193.

Thanks for the help and any other suggestions are welcome.

Can anyone recommend a source os supply for good quality aftermarket ejector and spring?

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Extra power extractor spring?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, make sure the gas key is tight.  It should be staked on, but sometimes they arent.  So check that.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
You should install your new ejector spring and try a Wolff XP extractor spring, I'll be getting some in a week or so from Brownells, IM or email me your address and I'll send you a Wolff XP extractor spring.  

For good measure I'd install a new extractor also.  How well are your gas rings?  If you want a new set I can send you a new set of those too.  Have you scrubbed the inside of the gas key really really well using an old .223 bore brush?

I've heard of a few rifles that are finicky on XM193 but will run fine on Q3131a.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Check and make sure your gas rings are not all lined up together with the gaps.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
No need on the buffer spring.  The gas key is a link in the system that needs checked as well, look for carbon build up at the base (leakage), that saves a little time with the wrenches.  Honestly, I'd be looking hard at the ejector right now.  The fact that you have some brass near you is a good indicator.  Just my thoughts, and I could be wrong, hell my wife tells me that enough, she has got to be right.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to everyone. I ordered new extractor springs/inserts. I didn't want to inconvenience you Gotm4 but I do appreciate the offer. The only extractor I could see on Brownell's site was a $50 SS one. Anybody have a good source for a new extractor?

Thanks,

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top