Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 4:01:38 PM EDT
I just have to tell some people about this.  Took my 14.5 bushy w/ ak to the local shop on the 7th of Sept. to have it no banned up.  Putting on phantom, bayo lug fsb, and yhm ff tube.  Well the #2 goof told me 3 to 4 days and the work would cost me 60.00 plus the cost of the fsb.  Ok cool.  Now I had to pick the gun up on the 8th of last week.  Thats a month and a day.  All they did was remove the AK brake and they charge me 45 bucks to do it.  I went up there about 6 times and called about 10 during that time period and was given several excuses.  #1 goof (owner) told me he was not going to work on it until the 15th anyway then they needed to get the fsb well the ones that they got were used w/ the holes in them and the finish gone from where it was against the handguard retainer cap.   Then they needed a lathe and milling machine to take my fsb off.   Well mine has roll pins and last time I checked they just punch out. Then they got the machine and did nothing with it for 2 weeks.  They suck, 45 dollars and they didn't even rechase the threads.  Oh and there are a couple more uppers waiting for a hack job up there.  God help them.  I found a real smith local.  The shop is in Indian Trail NC if any of you have your guns there go get em.
Paige
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about your troubles.  There are gunsmiths and then there are ARsmiths.  My experience shows that rarely do the two exist in the same shop.  There are also "machinists" and "gunsmiths with machining skills".  A gun nut machinist is an uncommon occurance as well, but they are out there.  

I just took delivery of a South Bend lathe and found out my friend has a Bridgeport mill 20 minutes away from me.  The lathe will be a project by itself, as the f#@k'tards that shipped it dropped it on its front and damage alot of the control knobs.  I can silver solder most, if not all of them, and make new knobs at work as needed, but all my evil projects have been put on hold or are being done in my spare time at work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just have to tell some people about this.  Took my 14.5 bushy w/ ak to the local shop on the 7th of Sept. to have it no banned up.  Putting on phantom, bayo lug fsb, and yhm ff tube.  Well the #2 goof told me 3 to 4 days and the work would cost me 60.00 plus the cost of the fsb.  Ok cool.  Now I had to pick the gun up on the 8th of last week.  Thats a month and a day.  All they did was remove the AK brake and they charge me 45 bucks to do it.  I went up there about 6 times and called about 10 during that time period and was given several excuses.  #1 goof (owner) told me he was not going to work on it until the 15th anyway then they needed to get the fsb well the ones that they got were used w/ the holes in them and the finish gone from where it was against the handguard retainer cap.   Then they needed a lathe and milling machine to take my fsb off.   Well mine has roll pins and last time I checked they just punch out. Then they got the machine and did nothing with it for 2 weeks.  They suck, 45 dollars and they didn't even rechase the threads.  Oh and there are a couple more uppers waiting for a hack job up there.  God help them.  I found a real smith local.  The shop is in Indian Trail NC if any of you have your guns there go get em.
Paige

Sorry to hear that.  I'm from Charlotte, NC.  I go out to Assault Technologies sometimes.  Tell me where this local smith is please?  I'm looking to get mine threaded.  I'd like to do it local, from a GOOD person, but I may go with ADCO if I can't find anyone here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Charlotte so I am interested in who the bad and good gunsmith are.  I sent my upper to ADCO to be made evil, but have some other smith work I would like to get done.  The best I have found here was having a bolt handle bent in Pineville, but that was long ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
go to wheretoshoot.org and try a search within 120 miles of charlotte, read thru the ranges, if it has a website click it, one lists gunsmithing, and specializes in AR's. It showed up for me, and I'm about 100 miles from charlotte. I think it was near one of the millitary bases. Bragg I believe, but  doing a quick search, I couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I had my barrel threaded by Don Williams at Beltway Gun&Pawn. Turn around time was about a week and cost was $50 for threading and A2 flash suppressor. The rifle looks great, I just got to fire an re-zero it last weekend and had no probs. If you are leaving Charlotte going toward Monroe on Independence Blvd Beltway is on the right in a mostly abandon shopping center just before you cross the bridge over 485.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I go out to Assault Technologies sometimes.  

"DAN" owns that, right?

Does he do threading and such?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It was Assault Tech I really hate to dis those guys and dind't have a reason until this.  Nice people but don't give a fu*^ about you.  Wheelow I found this guy off old Monroe rd.  He used to work for APW in Florida.  I had my glock and Kimber worked on down there.  This Guy's name is Duane and he is it the phone book.  Elite Plating and Weaponry 704-289-6922.  Great dude.  He couln't believe that shit either.  He told me he wouldn't charge much.  
Jprichard I talked to Don at Beltway its on my way home but he was backed up for at least a month he said I trust him.  He leant me his car spanner wrench b/4.  I also bought a used mag from him at the gun show got home and it did not fit  so I stopped by beltway the following Tuesday and he gave me a brand new one to keep I didn't even have the used one with me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Ugh double post awesome I need to sleep.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I go out to Assault Technologies sometimes.  

"DAN" owns that, right?

Does he do threading and such?

I took my upper to them about 2 weeks ago, they were going to have it sent off to their smith, but I guess their smith decided he didn't want to do that type of work anymore, so they were going to get their own equipment and start doing the work there.  I called a few times, but their smith wouldn't come in to get it done, so I just went and picked it up and am still looking to get it threaded.  No hard feelings towards them though, shit happens.  I'll still do business with them.

ETA : forgot to hit the quote button
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!  Wheelow I was getting the same run around get your gun out of there and fast.  They just bought a lathe and my guess is have no idea how to run it.  It's been sitting there for almost 3 weeks.  That guy duane I posted about earlier took one of Dan's "shopping around" call for threading the barrels and evidently quoted him 10.00 to high he told me.  And Wes said Dan was the smith that was going to use the lathe by the way.
Paige
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

hell no as in?  I shouldn't do business with them or that's a shitty deal too?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, also, that's what they said, just like you.  They finally got the equipment, and my upper still sat there for at least two weeks.  So I bet money you saw my upper sitting there behind the counter, leaning against the wall.  Bushy superlight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup mine was the one in the black case WITH DUST ON IT
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I remember that, it was right next to mine.  I wonder if those guys come to these boards.  I saw them at the C&E show today, he acknowledged me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah and thats another thing that pisses me off.  They are so busy getting ready for the show but hew screw the work that they already promised you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah.  They have some nice weapons in their showroom, but I like the guys at Firepower SO much better.  They care, they want your business.  They want you to be happy with your purchase and anything you do there.  Those guys know me by name are eager to help me with whatever.  I shoot there often in their indoor range as well.  My first pistol purchase was through them, my first AR was through them (superlight) and my latest lower reciever was through them.  My next pistol is going to be purchased there as well.  Great people.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I deal with Phil and Ann over there and you are correct they care.  Too bad they don't work on guns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I deal with Phil and Ann over there and you are correct they care.  Too bad they don't work on guns.

Yeah, they're two great people.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
You can't go wrong with using Elite Plating and gunsmith.  Duane is the one of the "best".  I have had the same run around with Assualt Tech!!  I think they did just buy their own machine because the guy in there, Wes told me he was not going to pay someone else when there was sooo much money to made now that the ban had ended!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I dont know about assault tech anymore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I wanted to get my upper receiver changed on my AR.  So I called a gun-smith that I normally use to do some small jobs, like installing some fiber optic sights on my 10/22.  I asked him to do my AR and he couldn't give me an estimate or how long it would take.  So, I picked up my AR and took to to another private smith.  Took 1 day and $30.00.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I wanted to get my upper receiver changed on my AR.  So I called a gun-smith that I normally use to do some small jobs, like installing some fiber optic sights on my 10/22.  I asked him to do my AR and he couldn't give me an estimate or how long it would take.  So, I picked up my AR and took to to another private smith.  Took 1 day and $30.00.

You came out alright.  See, assault tech told the author of this thread about 3-4 days.  They told me a week and a half.  It turned out to be two weeks and they still haven't touched it.  I called at least 4 times, and they kept giving me some BS excuse.  So I called the last time, they gave me the BS excuse about the smith not showing up yet, and they'd call me and let me know.  I said fuck it, and drove my ass out there, picked up my upper, came home.  Now that I think about it, and have read some of the other negative posts towards this outfit, I will not be going back out there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Those 2 guy's are stupid at best , maybe some inbreeding going on.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Hi guys,
Glad to see so many NC'ers on the board.  I've got a "post-ban" colt A2 that I'm thinking of having converted to "no-ban" configuration.  I've got some conflicting information, is it or is it not possible to replace the FSB (want one with a bayo lug )?  I've heard that due to gas port alignment that it can't be replaced.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Also, Where is Elite Plating and Weaponry located?  I live in Winston-Salem and I'm a little fimiliar with Charlotte.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Do yourself a favor, and just send it to ADCO
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Do yourself a favor, and just send it to ADCO

+1 for ADCO, they did right by me. Thread barrel and install Phantom, 56 bucks, back home in less than a week.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hi guys,
Glad to see so many NC'ers on the board.  I've got a "post-ban" colt A2 that I'm thinking of having converted to "no-ban" configuration.  I've got some conflicting information, is it or is it not possible to replace the FSB (want one with a bayo lug )?  I've heard that due to gas port alignment that it can't be replaced.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Also, Where is Elite Plating and Weaponry located?  I live in Winston-Salem and I'm a little fimiliar with Charlotte.
Thanks

ADCO will swap your FSB no problem.  I'm probably going to send my upper out to them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#28]
+a whole bunch for ADCO.  Why go where the work is questionable, where the service is tepid, where the communication is dyslexic and where the prices are almost high enough for you to purchase your own lathe?  ADCO threads barrels in usually under a week for around $55 and Steve and the gang there will be there to answer all your questions.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top