Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 2:17:36 PM EDT
Did the M16A1's buffer tube have a different finish than the current black Colt buffer tube?  Also, I know the M16A1 and M16A2 use the same buffer, but is there any difference in the finish or color?

Did the M16A1 buttstock use the rubber O-ring between it and the lower?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody is putting rubber O rings between the stock and the lower?  Not in my world Have bought complete lowers by Rock River, Bushie, and DPMS in the past few years, to go w/an early Colt, and not an O ring to be seen, nor shown on anyone's parts list.

Re the initial question, I would assume that Colt finishes at least the front end of the tube to more or less match the color of the lower. Since current lowers are much closer to black than the A1s were, I would expect the tube to be darker.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I've got an old Colt SP1 buffer tube that is a very light gray -- much lighter than the finish on the original lower.  It's about the same color as the background of the buttons near the top of this page -- the buttons that say FORUM LISTING, GENERAL, INDUSTRY, AR-15, AK-47, HANDGUNS, THE ARMORY, and so forth.  This buffer tube was mounted with an A1 buttstock, but I don't know if the buffer tube finish matches that of any actual M16A1 buffer tubes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
some buffertubes are finished the same way they do with magazines, meaning they use permasilk.  I don't know if Colt still does it, but Bushmaster does it for sure.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, I've got an old Colt SP1 buffer tube that is a very light gray -- much lighter than the finish on the original lower.  It's about the same color as the background of the buttons near the top of this page -- the buttons that say FORUM LISTING, GENERAL, INDUSTRY, AR-15, AK-47, HANDGUNS, THE ARMORY, and so forth.  This buffer tube was mounted with an A1 buttstock, but I don't know if the buffer tube finish matches that of any actual M16A1 buffer tubes.

Sounds about right. Just picked up one of the A1 butt assys being sold by CDNN and that's what was on the entire tube.  Pretty close to the color of the SP1 that lives at my house
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top