Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 1:01:09 PM EDT
I was just at the local gun show this weekend.  So there i am looking at some ar15 and parts, and some guy walks up to me and says make sure the weapons wasnt bult during the ban.  I ask why, and he said that all weapons manufactured during the ban, and still under.  Now, knowing what i know, i look at him and laugh.  Hes like, check the law, it says you cant change a bann weapon.  I then look at him and say what law, the ban doesnt exist.  

It was really funny.  Wish i had a camcoder with me to tape it.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's amazing that these people actually find their way to a polling place and manage to vote.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's amazing that these people actually find their way to a polling place and manage to vote.  

See my sig line.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard FAR stupider comments.  Especially concerning AKs made in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was just at the local gun show this weekend.  So there i am looking at some ar15 and parts, and some guy walks up to me and says make sure the weapons wasnt bult during the ban.  I ask why, and he said that all weapons manufactured during the ban, and still under.  Now, knowing what i know, i look at him and laugh.  Hes like, check the law, it says you cant change a bann weapon.  I then look at him and say what law, the ban doesnt exist.  

Did he look like this:   ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear an average of one dumb comment every time I go to a gun show...and it's usually the dealers!

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I hear an average of one dumb comment every time I go to a gun show...and it's usually the dealers!

Scott

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Off topic slightly but same thing! I went to look at 4 Wheelers and ask the dealer "so this will start in gear as long as the parking brake is set?"

"No!none will do that" says the dealer and I say "well that Suzuki Website was lieing eh?"

He said look " I'll show you" Varoooooom  it starts up exactly as stated onn Suzukis Website "Oh my I didn't know it would do that" I then said "well since you don't have a clue about what your selling I have to assume you don't shit and I just can't buy from someone who doesn't even know what the things they sell do"
And slowly walked away laughing at this wizard!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He must have been a Democrat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my funny (but not funny-ha-ha) story from today:

I was standing at the Arsenal AK USA table at a gun show in Pasadena, Texas today. I was looking at their AK receivers, trying to decide which one to buy for my AK build. To my right is this clueless yuppie-looking idiot who is fingering a Bulgarian AK, the muzzle of which is about two inches from my right temple.

Now, I know that the gun is unloaded -- it's got a cable tie through the action and their is no magazine in it. Regardless, I am uncomfortable with anyone pointing a weapon, loaded or unloaded, at my precious noggin'. I'm attached to it and don't want anything to harm my brain bucket.

So, after shooting this guy and his knuckledragging buddy the evil eye... which obviously didn't register with them... I reach up, open handed, and gently push the muzzle of this AK up and away from my head.

"Hey, would you please point that in a safe direction and not toward my face? It makes me nervous."

Then, some old wrinkled bastard from behind the table says,

"I didn't know they let Californians in here."

WTF? First off, I'm a Texan, born and raised. I'm proud of that and, no offense to the Californians on this board, I'm not about to let some crotchety old fart insult me.

Feeling game for a verbal sparring session, I look at the old man and say,

"Hey sport, I'm not from California. I just don't like guns pointed at my head. Oh, by the way, if I wanted to hear your opinion, I would have asked for it. Since I didn't, shut the fuck up."

Then, the knuckledragger says,

"Hey man, it's unloaded. See?"

And I respond,

"Didn't you hear what I said? I was talking to this guy [pointing to original idiot]. You weren't involved so piss off. (British insults are funny.)"

So, finally, the original idiot says,

"Hey, lighten up."

At this point, I'm a little more than ticked. I reiterate my original statement,

"I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't point that thing at my face."

The idiot responds with, obviously flexing his masculinity...

"I'll do what I want to do. You need to lighten up."

My final response before I walked away...

"Sir, with all due respect to you, perhaps you should learn something about safety before you hurt somebody......

On second thought, you're an idiot. I hope you blow your damn head off with that thing."

Sadly, the incident will likely happen again and again as ignorant assholes seem completely unable to understand basic firearms handling rules.

Jeremy

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no excuse for poor muzzle discipline.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Scott

I hear an average of one dumb comment per person I talk to on a daly basis, at gun shows they're just centered around guns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's my funny (but not funny-ha-ha) story from today:

I was standing at the Arsenal AK USA table at a gun show in Pasadena, Texas today. I was looking at their AK receivers, trying to decide which one to buy for my AK build. To my right is this clueless yuppie-looking idiot who is fingering a Bulgarian AK, the muzzle of which is about two inches from my right temple.

Now, I know that the gun is unloaded -- it's got a cable tie through the action and their is no magazine in it. Regardless, I am uncomfortable with anyone pointing a weapon, loaded or unloaded, at my precious noggin'. I'm attached to it and don't want anything to harm my brain bucket.

So, after shooting this guy and his knuckledragging buddy the evil eye... which obviously didn't register with them... I reach up, open handed, and gently push the muzzle of this AK up and away from my head.

"Hey, would you please point that in a safe direction and not toward my face? It makes me nervous."

Then, some old wrinkled bastard from behind the table says,

"I didn't know they let Californians in here."

WTF? First off, I'm a Texan, born and raised. I'm proud of that and, no offense to the Californians on this board, I'm not about to let some crotchety old fart insult me.

Feeling game for a verbal sparring session, I look at the old man and say,

"Hey sport, I'm not from California. I just don't like guns pointed at my head. Oh, by the way, if I wanted to hear your opinion, I would have asked for it. Since I didn't, shut the fuck up."

Then, the knuckledragger says,

"Hey man, it's unloaded. See?"

And I respond,

"Didn't you hear what I said? I was talking to this guy [pointing to original idiot]. You weren't involved so piss off. (British insults are funny.)"

So, finally, the original idiot says,

"Hey, lighten up."

At this point, I'm a little more than ticked. I reiterate my original statement,

"I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't point that thing at my face."

The idiot responds with, obviously flexing his masculinity...

"I'll do what I want to do. You need to lighten up."

My final response before I walked away...

"Sir, with all due respect to you, perhaps you should learn something about safety before you hurt somebody......

On second thought, you're an idiot. I hope you blow your damn head off with that thing."

Sadly, the incident will likely happen again and again as ignorant assholes seem completely unable to understand basic firearms handling rules.

Jeremy

I hate to say it but there is a possibility that the old guy was talking to THEM, not you. And personally I believe that it would have been enough to say "sir could you please utilize some safety and not point that towards my head? if the old guy behind the counter or the guy holding the gun starts anything then reiterate your first statement and then walk off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeremy,
That's an alarming experience.  Was there anyone else around the booth who witnessed this guy pointing it at you?  I'm disappointed that no one else stepped in to back you up (not that you needed it).  I too get very antsy when people point "unloaded" guns at me...even at gunshows.  

IBCGUY
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure it was mentioned on this forum when it happened, but a kid got shot & killed  here in Georgia at a local gun show by a dealer with an "unloaded" gun.

If I remember the story right, it was a dealer selling holsters who did it.

You gotta watch both sides of the table.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
A guy at our show today was messing with the AK's at one table.  Pointing it at a low 30 degree angle toward the center of the walking area where people are, with...finger on the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Exactly why I don't go to gun shows unless I really NEED something I can't find elsewhere. With the advent of the internet, that's not too many things.

rvb
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]

I hate to say it but there is a possibility that the old guy was talking to THEM, not you. And personally I believe that it would have been enough to say "sir could you please utilize some safety and not point that towards my head? if the old guy behind the counter or the guy holding the gun starts anything then reiterate your first statement and then walk off

Uh, what part of don't point the gun at me don't you get... How can anyone try to defend someone who has just broken one of the most basic rules of gun safety? I believe the situation was handled with the proper degree of diplomacy and restraint. Remember DO NOT AIM THE FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DESTROY!  There is a time for negotiation and a time for action…. Well done!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Im sorry about your day jeremy, but I would have actedt eh exact same as you.  I mean more people are killed by "unloaded" weapons they loaded ones its seems.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
People are creatures of habit, pointing a firearm in a careless way could get someone killed .

Keep it up and you will hear another stupid remark " I didn't know it was Loaded".
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a sad story to tell as well:
I was a store the other day which had a display of airsoft pistols* that a bunch of kids were handling.  These guys were pointing the guns at each other's heads, at other customers, randomly pressing off triggers, doing muzzle checks, etc...  Now I know it's pretty hard to die from an airsoft but safe gun handling skills and respect for firearms are things that are learned.  And in my state, guns are not common place, people rarely "grow up" with them and as a result do not have the learned and intuitive respect for them.  It is sad to see that areas where guns are most highly oppressed are exaclty where they are the most dangerous.

note:
*I was there looking at the vast assortment of knives they sell, not the airsofts...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scott

I hear an average of one dumb comment per person I talk to on a daly basis, at gun shows they're just centered around guns.

Only one?!!??!?!?! Where the hell do you people hang out, I'm heading over there!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly why I don't go to gun shows unless I really NEED something I can't find elsewhere. With the advent of the internet, that's not too many things.

rvb

Very true. Gun shows suck these days. I can find most everything on the net. All I ever buy anymore is ammo and beef jerky.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
"See those AK magazines.  You couldn't buy those during the ban."

I wanted to correct gun show idiots before, but have realized that if I did, I'd be there all day, and still might not get to see everything.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#25]

At the last local show I was looking for a mid-length gas tube.  I came to a table full of AR parts, etc.  Mostly USGI.  I politely asked the guy if he had any midlength gas tubes.  He told me, quite rudely, that there were only 2 lengths.  He got pretty rude about it, rather quickly.  Maybe he had a bad day, dealing with people who knew even less than him, and he was taking it out on me.  At any rate, I didn't need it.
I found, and purchased, a mid-length tube at another stand (the only one which had them).  On my way out, I couldn't help but pass by the first stand, held up the tube, and said "hey retard,  MIDlength gas tube, talk to that guy over there if you want to learn something about ARs".    
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone who has taken a Hunter safety course knows that there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon. Every firearm is to be handled as if it were loaded! I knew that as a young kid, and my 12 year old practices safe firearm handling. What a complete f*cking moron. I would have knocked the sh!t out of him, but I am the product of a ptsd Vietnam Veteran.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#27]
If you go to a gun show and ask 1 in 10 people including the dealers, the rules of gun safety, how many people would know the rules I bet you would be horrified!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]
My favorite happened about a year ago, I was walking around with a 1903 which I'd restored because I needed a couple of small parts, and I've had better luck bringing the weapon along when looking for small parts.

At any rate, several people asked me if the rifle was for sale, to which I repsonded, "No," each time.  I told one older guy this, and as I turned around and started to walk on he grabbed the rifle which was slung over my shoulder and began looking at it.  Now, I've never seen anything like this, and I know damn well that I wouldn't walk up to someone and take a weapon without asking, particularly if it wasn't for sale.  I turned around and said, "Sir please don't handle my rifle."

He yelled back that if I hadn't been such an a$$hole he would have helped me find the parts I wanted, but now he wasn't going to.  The best part was that people were staring at him, for his display.

The one-percenters at the gunshows make the rest of us look bad.

The muzzle safety part really bothers me, I see a total lack of muzzle awareness every day on the part of Air Force Security Forces, and given the opportunity I try to educate them.  Sad.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#29]
This is kinda OT, but...Ah, what the hell....

I was behind the table, talking to potential customers for our training company when this guy and his wife come up to the booth.  I had my AR on display (brings eyeballs to the booth) and the gent picks it up.  He looks at the ACOG for a little while so I say "Are you familiar with ACOGs..."

BAM, he cuts me off.

"I know ALL about ACOGs!"

oh

Then he looks at the ACE stock for a while, especially the foam over the buffer tube, so I say, "That foam is incredibly..."

"I know ALL about this foam!"

Fine.  F*ck him.  I sit there vowing not to talk to him again, potential customer or not.

Next thing I know he points the rifle across the room and SMACKS the bolt release!

"What the hell are you doing?"  (He had completely cut the tie-wrap that was showing the weapon was held open.)

"I know.  I was checking the action."

His wife wanted to crawl under a rock.  You could tell this guy pulled this kind of crap  A  LOT.

Worse part of the story: This is no gun show tire-kicker He's a tactical officer in a South Texas Police Dept.

Yah, gun shows suck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My favorite happened about a year ago, I was walking around with a 1903 which I'd restored because I needed a couple of small parts, and I've had better luck bringing the weapon along when looking for small parts.

At any rate, several people asked me if the rifle was for sale, to which I repsonded, "No," each time.  I told one older guy this, and as I turned around and started to walk on he grabbed the rifle which was slung over my shoulder and began looking at it.  Now, I've never seen anything like this, and I know damn well that I wouldn't walk up to someone and take a weapon without asking, particularly if it wasn't for sale.  I turned around and said, "Sir please don't handle my rifle."

He yelled back that if I hadn't been such an a$$hole he would have helped me find the parts I wanted, but now he wasn't going to.  The best part was that people were staring at him, for his display.

The one-percenters at the gunshows make the rest of us look bad.

The muzzle safety part really bothers me, I see a total lack of muzzle awareness every day on the part of Air Force Security Forces, and given the opportunity I try to educate them.  Sad.

Similar happened to me.  Brought the top end of my early model Colt to a show, because I was looking for an upper that was as close as I could get to the early Colt gray color that this one has.  Piece is laying on the counter section between two different dealer tables, and I'm standing right beside it. Yahoo and his buddy come by. Yahoo picks the thing up and starts telling buddy all about it.  Since I figured he might have thought is was for sale or something, I politely informed him that the piece was mine and it was not for sale. Yahoo then slams it back down, curses me out, threatens me, and then storms off.

Some peoples children
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been noticing that the quality of most people at gun shows are what gives gun owners a bad name.

I act like gun shows don't exsist now. If I need something, I get it off one of the dealers here on this site. If they don't have it yet. I wait.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top