Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 7:53:19 PM EDT
What info can you guys give me on the Gun Smoke Enterprises m4 profile barrels? Quality, accuracy? Their claims of 30,000 round life out of the chrome lined barrels? Any info would be appreciated. I like the looks of their fluted heavy M4 barrels, and might have to pic one up for future "needs" But not unless it will shoot as good as a bushy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
i too like the looks of the fluted m4 barrel!

but i have no idea what the quality is on them.  

i did read an article in shotgun news where they used one of gse's custom built ar's and all i read was good stuff.  but then again i dont think they would have published it if it wasn't good

hope someone who has experience with this company comes along soon cause i too would like to know

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else before I become a gunea pig? Gotta be someone out there. Any recommendations on a sub MOA 16 barrel? Anyone?

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't opin on the product you ask about. I can say that GSE used to be a board dealer years ago; sold Bushmaster uppers at great prices.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to buy my Bushmaster barrels and some parts from them.  The service was a little slow but I always got what I ordered (eventually) and the prices were good.  I don't know how their GSE brand barrels are and I'm not really interested in trying one.  When they switched over from their own brand from Bushmaster I stopped dealing with them.  It's just the way I am, I use what I know works for me and what I like.  I like Bushmaster a Colt barrels.  I don't know who makes their barrels or out of what kind of material, but I would resaerch it a little more before you buy.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I have found out a few more details.

4140 Chrome moly barrel steel
1/8 twist rifling
claimed 30,000 round barrel life with their chrome plating
and claimed MOA capable with good ammo

Any thoughts? I know bushy uses 4150 chrome moly, but i think most everyone else uses the 4140. I'm not going to be pole vaulting with it so is there a big difference?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont know if thats a good barrel or not, but getting 1:8 twist is nice, when compared to a 1:9 standard bushy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 26" .308 AR10 upper from them, it showed up in good shape and shot sub MOA at 200yards.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the guy that owns GSE is Ed Basile outta Florida, I usually see him at the gunshows selling Bushmaster uppers and lowers, but i have not seen him in a couple of monthes....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the guy that owns GSE is Ed Basile outta Florida, I usually see him at the gunshows selling Bushmaster uppers and lowers, but i have not seen him in a couple of monthes....

Yep, that is the owner.  IIRC, he exited this board due to a problem with a Class 3 sale to a member here.  Our member did the paperwork, sent Ed the money and Ed sold the MG to some one else.  It  got very ugly and created quite a shitstorm here.  He also allegedly sold "factory" Bushmaster uppers and lowers that did not contain 100% Bushmaster factory parts.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmmm, sounds kind of shady, but as a business owner, I know there's always a bit more to it than what customers sometimes pop off with. I think I will still try one of these barrels, as I like the idea of the 1 in 8 twist instead of 1 in 9 that bushy uses. If i don't like it, i'm only out 250 bones, no big deal. Can always sell it and recoup most of it. I didn't get an answer from them about who makes the barrel, but i doubt they do it in house.

Thanks to all who helped out here, i appreciate it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
In fact, I would bet my AR that these barrels are Wilson barrels, the exact same ones that wilson sells to Ameetec and is pictured on their site as the specs are absolutely identicle and the fluting looks to be machined with the same exact end mill. GSE wants 40$ less for them though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top