Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 11:56:27 AM EDT
This may be a stupid question, but I need to know for sure.

Is it alright if i leave an empty magazine in the rifle, and put a single round through the ejection port, and into the chamber, chambering it this way?  

I have to go to the local range to sight in my rifle, and they only allow 1 round at a time.  So instead of removing my magazine each time to load 1 round, i can do it the other way instead?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
you don't need to have a magazine in your rifle. Infact they may not like seeing a magazine because then how would they know you're only doing 1 round at a time?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
you don't need to have a magazine in your rifle. Infact they may not like seeing a magazine because then how would they know you're only doing 1 round at a time?

I dont want to have to manually lock the bolt back.  With the magazine in there, it will lock back after every fire.

They can tell how many rounds you have, but listening to the your firing.  And it's not like the ranger cant see you
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes,  it is alright to leave the an empty mag in the rifle and load one round at a time through the ejection port.  There is a single shot adapter that is used by highpower shooters when shooting the slow fire stages.  I think Sinclair sells the adapter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally, thats fine - but with a soft primer it *could* go off - the best way to do this is the same way we high power rifle shooters do :

With either a converted magazine, or a "BobSled".

See link:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/Gun_Parts_AR_Accessories.htm
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not just find a new range somewhere in AMERICA; rather than in whatever kind of fucked up place you're currently frequenting?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have done this on occasion, but you really need to find a better range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Even if shooting full auto, you are still only firing one round at a time.  Oh, you meant only one round in the rifle at one time.  Get a single round follower, like the "Bob Sled" at the top of the page OR the aluminum insert which works with a regular mag near the middle of the page in the following link:

Bob Sled

ETA:  A new range is advisable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
As noted above, there are adapters for that.  But are you sure you can't use loaded magazine?  I've heard of ranges only allowing "1 shot every x seconds" to prevent "rapid-fire" but only allowing one round in the gun at a time is the most fucked up thing I've heard in a long time.  If that's really the case you need to find a range that treats you like an adult.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As noted above, there are adapters for that.  But are you sure you can't use loaded magazine?  I've heard of ranges only allowing "1 shot every x seconds" to prevent "rapid-fire" but only allowing one round in the gun at a time is the most fucked up thing I've heard in a long time.  If that's really the case you need to find a range that treats you like an adult.

All the publicly run ranges here in MI are that way now, and have been for years. I don't know why people continue to go to them, when it is legal to shoot anywhere on state land (non-ranges) any way you choose as long as you have a good backstop.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This may be a stupid question, but I need to know for sure.

Is it alright if i leave an empty magazine in the rifle, and put a single round through the ejection port, and into the chamber, chambering it this way?  

I have to go to the local range to sight in my rifle, and they only allow 1 round at a time.  So instead of removing my magazine each time to load 1 round, i can do it the other way instead?

That is how we did it at the range in boot camp 1987. Empty mag, one round at a time through the ejection port.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got back.  No problems using the method.

I go plinking out in the woods, but it's a 45 min drive.  I go to the local range, 20 min drive, which has 50/100/200 yard markers to sight in my rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top