Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 11:29:51 AM EDT
What is the weight difference between an M4 and a heavy barrel?  I am talking about a 16 inch M4 style barrel with screw on flash suppressor compared to a 16 inch HBAR with screw on flash suppressor.

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#1]
significant to me
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a 16" HBAR upper from Bushmaster and was considering another M4 profile.  I asked the weight difference and BM told me half a pound.  Not much difference unless you're gonna be humping a long patrol.  For me I'd rather have the HBAR and less recoil.  The current fad is M4 so the keyboard commandos will tell you to go for the M4.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=205&catid=103

M4 2.0 lbs
16" 2.7 lbs

I love how anyone that disagrees with someone around here is a "keyboard commando".  Especially coming from someone with less than 400 posts and who couldn't possibly know who is who around here.  Half a pound less barrel weight is half a pound more useful shit you can carry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Half a pound on your barrel is a SHIT LOAD of weight.  I made the mistake of buying a 16" HBAR Bushmaster then sold it and made the mistake of buying a 14.5" 1/9 twist M4 Bushmaster barrel then sold that and now have a 14.5" 1/7 twist M4 Bushmaster barrel on my M4.  I still think its too heavy and too long too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody weigh a contoured mid length 16?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The reason I asked is because my current M4 barrelled upper seems to be quite a bit lighter than my 16" HBAR.  I guess the weight issue becomes more significant in the barrel because it is way out in front.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Wes
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anybody weigh a contoured mid length 16?

I don't have a scale so I can't weigh mine, but it is pretty light.  It should be about the same as a 16" M4.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]

16 inch m4 - 2.2lbs
16 inch Hbar- 2.7lbs

A significant difference.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
No, no, no, guys, bigkracka is right!  Take me, for instance: I don't carry a rifle all day...well, except when I go to a class which is 2 - 4 times a year  (I'm with a company that does that, after all) - some of those are 2-day classes - and sometimes I'll spend a day doing tactical drills at the range for 4 hours or thereabouts, so we'll say that's 6 - 8 days of carrying the rifle all day, but STILL, it's only half a pound or so, big deal!  And look what that extra half-pound does!  Well, nothing really, but still.

'Course, I'm carrying water, extra mags, first aid, gloves, eye and ear protection, etc., but that can't weigh much, right?  I mean, shit, it's not like I spend a lot of time behind a computer most of the day, making it hard to stay in SOF/SEALS-type shape.  

Oh, wait, now I see the disconnect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Incidentally, simply saying "a half pound" or "7/10 of a pound" isn't really accurate in terms of understanding why you notice it so much.  A 16" HBAR is 35% heavier than a 14.5" M4 and 23% heavier than a 16" M4.  When you look at it in terms of percentages you start to get the feel for why it's noticeable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
1st time poster here, so forgive me if this seems ignorant.
Besides the added weight, what do you have to gain by going with the HBAR? And if you had to have the HBAR, would fluting be a viable option to reduce weight?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1st time poster here, so forgive me if this seems ignorant.
Besides the added weight, what do you have to gain by going with the HBAR? And if you had to have the HBAR, would fluting be a viable option to reduce weight?

Welcome!

Among other things, an HBAR will give you more consistant barrel harmonics as the barrel heats up. This will give more consistant accuracy and would be noticable for target, varmint, and bench shooting.

From the link above a 16" fluted barrel is 2.3lbs slightly heavier than a 16 inch M4. A fluted barrel should be more rigid, respond to heat better, and give more consistant accuracy than the 16 in m4. But most people will probably never notice it.

I have a fluted 16"  bushmaster and I like it very much. I also have an ultralight barrel.  Really the only thing I've noticed is that the light barrel heats up MUCH faster than the fluted barrel. I like them both.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the welcome, and the info! I can already tell this is my new addiction! lol
I have enjoyed shooting ever since I was a kid, but have never owned an AR. That will be changing in the VERY near future!
Whata great site, a wealth of information!
Cheers
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The reason I asked is because my current M4 barrelled upper seems to be quite a bit lighter than my 16" HBAR.  I guess the weight issue becomes more significant in the barrel because it is way out in front.

Correct - think 'Lever'
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top