Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 5:41:45 AM EDT
Someone mentioned a technique called bump firing for rapid fire, Please explain what this is and how its done.

Thanks
                    Bri
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a technique that allows you to harness the guns recoil to simulate full automatic, it takes practice to do it right, start by holding the gun at your hip, now put your finger in the trigger gaurd strait, now with your other hand pull forward on the gun while keeping your other hand stationary, as you pull the trigger will bump into your finger and since your hand is stationary and the gun is moveing forward the trigger is pulled, the gun recoils thus pulling the trigger back from your finger, but your still pulling forward so you pull the trigger again, it takes practice to get this right, and obviously it's very inacurite, however with enough practice you should be able to do it from your shoulder....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip> it's very inacurite </snip>

Yep.  Waste of ammo, IMHO.  Every bullet you send down range has a little lawyer attached to it.  I've seen MANY guys bump-fire rounds that skip over the berm.  If I was only interested in noise I would buy some firecrackers.  I'd rather get good hits than make a bunch of noise and kick up dirt.

Again, just my opinion.  You'll find many people on this board get a huge hard-on while bump-firing.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

These are the guys who haven't had the opportunity to make a range meet with Mguntony yet
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, that is what these guns were designed for right? To be "spray fired from the hip"?

Seriously, it's kind fun to try a few times, makes the friends go "woah cool." But I quickly tire of emptying a magazine, $5 in ammo, in the blink of any, and not accomplishing anything.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Seriously, it's kind fun to try a few times, makes the friends go "woah cool." But I quickly tire of emptying a magazine, $5 in ammo, in the blink of any, and not accomplishing anything.

I agree Capro, but it isn't like I really accomplish anything with my usual range trips.  I occasionally bump fire, but whatever I feel like for the day.  At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me whether all my holes in the paper are in nice little groups or not.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip> it's very inacurite </snip>

Yep.  Waste of ammo, IMHO.  Every bullet you send down range has a little lawyer attached to it.  I've seen MANY guys bump-fire rounds that skip over the berm.  If I was only interested in noise I would buy some firecrackers.  I'd rather get good hits than make a bunch of noise and kick up dirt.

Again, just my opinion.  You'll find many people on this board get a huge hard-on while bump-firing.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Don't bump at the local rifle range.  Leave it for the wilderness.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it is a waste of ammo but whenever I bring someone new to shooting along with me I will do this once just to give them a taste of what full auto is kinof like(most get the shooting bug right afterwards). I also explain to them that it is not full auto and is not a very good method of shooting.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
My first AR had such a light trigger pull that I would often bumpfire on accident. Allways range master would come to me and watch me for a minute to see if I had something illegal, some times he would scold me or ask me to leave! So I found out about bump-fire on my own. The second AR I had (built all by myself) I forgot a few parts in the trigger group, fired full auto, range master thraetened to call fedderalys, so I promptly completly disasembled the weapon on the spot and took it to a smith.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My first AR had such a light trigger pull that I would often bumpfire on accident. Allways range master would come to me and watch me for a minute to see if I had something illegal, some times he would scold me or ask me to leave! So I found out about bump-fire on my own. The second AR I had (built all by myself) I forgot a few parts in the trigger group, fired full auto, range master thraetened to call fedderalys, so I promptly completly disasembled the weapon on the spot and took it to a smith.

What parts did you forget to make it do that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont recommend bump firing all the time...bad for the barrell in the long run?

I have never been able to do it in my Bushy,, the .223 doesnt seem to cut it for me..myh friends AK's go wild, dumping whole 30 round clips w/ no delay...many at the range mistake it for full auto...
it is cool though, just a waste of ammo and bad for gun

also,
JImmy Hoffa, what parts did you forget?..i would like to know myself?..you sure you didnt accientially get shipped a different trigger and hammer group, by some LUCKY mistake.??

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dont recommend bump firing all the time...bad for the barrell in the long run?

I have never been able to do it in my Bushy,, the .223 doesnt seem to cut it for me..myh friends AK's go wild, dumping whole 30 round clips w/ no delay...many at the range mistake it for full auto...
it is cool though, just a waste of ammo and bad for gun

also,
JImmy Hoffa, what parts did you forget?..i would like to know myself?..you sure you didnt accientially get shipped a different trigger and hammer group, by some LUCKY mistake.??

Even if he did he would have had to do some drilling.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What parts did you forget to make it do that?

Yeah, I'm curious here to.  If you forgot the disconnector, then the hammer would just follow the bolt carrier forward and probably wouldn't set the round off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Methinks he was just trying to sound cool...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Methinks he was just trying to sound cool...

+1

Oh, yeah I forgot.  You just file down some stuff and it does that also.....

NOT!!!

BTW: Great way to get the, as you put it, 'fedderalys' looking at everyone's semi-auto trigger groups trying to find a way to get them to go full-auto.
Its the perpetuation of myths like this that get crap like the AWB passed by people who don't know any better and take such comments at face value.

Clop, clop (sound of me getting off of soapbox.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, it was the disconecter that I was missing (not in kit, can't remeber where I got it), yes the hammer followed the carrier home, and yes it would fire what seemed like two or three rounds then jam. I realize now that I am lucky that it did not fire out of battery or something. At the time I was just a kid (19) and didn't know any better, now I have several books, schematics, and tools to do the job right. Knowledge is power!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
It's fun once in a while.  I do it with my varminter (I did put a chrome lined barrel on it, so that changes things a bit) once in a while.  If you don't do it mag after mag, I really don't think it's that hard on a chrome lined barrel.  EVERY round you shoot will wear it some, but if you watch the heat a little, and don't go gung-hoe on it, I think it's alright (naturally, or I sure wouldn't EVER do it with my Varminter!).

Yes, this is a wilderness only deal.  Local ranges are NOT good places to try this out.  Even on the HBAR varminter, the barrel likes to kick up quite a bit.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes, it was the disconecter that I was missing (not in kit, can't remeber where I got it), yes the hammer followed the carrier home, and yes it would fire what seemed like two or three rounds then jam. I realize now that I am lucky that it did not fire out of battery or something. At the time I was just a kid (19) and didn't know any better, now I have several books, schematics, and tools to do the job right. Knowledge is power!

I had a buddy that tied his disconnector back on his AR and his SKS and the hammer followed the bolt but no bang bang due to the lack of force the hammer had due to riding the bolt back, just curious on how you got it going? I have seen people tie the claw back on an M16A4 before so it will go full auto instead of burst but thats it. I am not trying to discredit you, I am just curious.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My first AR Project had a Disconnector that the hook broke off of, It slammed 2 dimpled third and did not recock (Duh wunder why?) Anywho that is all it ever did I replaced the broken part and it has not lost its mind since. I had an SKS (Chinese) with no spring loaded firing pin, the pin stuck in the bolt protruding and emptied ten before it got knocked loose then it did it again while I was deer hunting with the same rifle. I got rid of it. That is the limit of my faulty parts slam fire stories....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, it was the disconecter that I was missing (not in kit, can't remeber where I got it), yes the hammer followed the carrier home, and yes it would fire what seemed like two or three rounds then jam. I realize now that I am lucky that it did not fire out of battery or something. At the time I was just a kid (19) and didn't know any better, now I have several books, schematics, and tools to do the job right. Knowledge is power!hr

I had a buddy that tied his disconnector back on his AR and his SKS and the hammer followed the bolt but no bang bang due to the lack of force the hammer had due to riding the bolt back, just curious on how you got it going? I have seen people tie the claw back on an M16A4 before so it will go full auto instead of burst but thats it. I am not trying to discredit you, I am just curious.

Well, I honestly don't know how it "worked" or if you coud ever call it working. The first shot was like normal, then maybe one or two rounds would seem to slam fire or something, then the hammer would come to rest on a live round, then I would have to pull the chargeing handle again and expell a live round to cock the hammer. I only pulled the trigger a few times, it did not work every time, not some thing that I would try to do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Without the disconnector, some guns will go full auto and some will not.  It really depends on primers, hammer spring weight, etc.  However, this is not very safe and is basically a slamfire (the bolt hasn't properly locked up when the bullet goes off).  

We were working with a RDIAS once, and had some issues with the springs on the sear.  After some monkeying, we flipped the selector to "FULL" and promptly sent seven or eight rounds down range.  We thought we had worked out the bugs until we realized we didn't even have the RDIAS in the lower!  Very dangerous!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I think this is where all this discussion is pointing

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#27]
That does look like some fun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top