Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 2:22:53 AM EDT
How many of you load your mags home before you take the trip to the range? I've been loading at the range but I'm thinking of doing it before I go, that way I can start shooting when I get there. Is it legal to transport loaded mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Think it varies by state.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll check than, thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]

No can do in Massachusetts North, er, I mean Michigan... The Lula is a gift from the shooting gods...

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Lula is a gift from the shooting gods...

Lulas are for folks that never bothered to learn how to load or unload magazines with their hands and fingers, which are the TRUE gifts from god.

Real men don't need a 20-30 dollar tool to stick bullets in magazines.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:47:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I always load my mags before going to the range.  never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
ThePrisoner72 - As a fellow NY shooter I strongly urge you to research this as you said you plan to or ask your local law enforcement officials.  This state considers a loaded mag to be equivalent to a loaded gun during transportation if I am not mistaken.  It may be ok in some parts of the state but probably not the majority of it.  I do not transport loaded mags for two reasons: 1) I am unclear as to what NY law states specifically on the issue, 2) I don't get charged for time spent loading mags when shooting on privately owned land.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No can do in Massachusetts North, er, I mean Michigan... The Lula is a gift from the shooting gods...

Why not? As long as the loaded magazines are not in the same case as the firearm it is legal in Michigan AFAIK...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lulas are for folks that never bothered to learn how to load or unload magazines with their hands and fingers, which are the TRUE gifts from god.

Mike

I suppose you walk everywhere you go rather than use a motor vehicle? Afterall, your feet are a gift from God and real mean don't need a $30,000.00 machine to get from one place to another.

Yeah right, tools are for lazy people. Real mean use their bare hands for everything.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I always load my mags before going to the range.  never had a problem.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
We pay 16bux an hour at our indoor range here, no time to load there. Its so much easier to load (keep loaded) at home, goto the range and have at it.

On the LULU subject, they have their place (I dont own one, dont need one) but we have some guys that would just about die without their precious LuLu. lol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I always load mags...for rifles and pistols the night before

I have NEVER needed anything other than my weapon for unloading

If you have mags that need to be unloaded...send them to me....I volunteer!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We pay 16bux an hour at our indoor range here, no time to load there. Its so much easier to load (keep loaded) at home, goto the range and have at it.

On the LULU subject, they have their place (I dont own one, dont need one) but we have some guys that would just about die without their precious LuLu. lol.

16 BUCKS AN HOUR??? HOLY SHIT THATS EXPENSIVE!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It all depends on what state you live in if its legal.

As for my new state of CO, you can open carry a handgun and you can have a loaded handgun in the car (even hold it in your hand while driving) and plenty of loaded mags to go with it.

So like I said it all depends on your state!

Welcome to Colorado.  You put in for your concealed carry yet?

Handguns in vehicles are one thing, it's perfectly legal to keep them loaded.  Long guns can't have a round in the chamber.  Presumably, you could have a box-fed gun with a loaded magazine attached and still be within the law, but I'm not particularly interested in testing that notion.  I'm sure a cop isn't going to give you a hard time if you have your AR-15 in one bag and enough loaded magazines in your range bag to go invade North Korea.  

But that's Colorado.  I think my Dad and brother can behave the same way in Illinois, but those poor folks are starting to suffer under the increasingly liberal environment imposed by Chicago.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#16]
In Texas, we can carry a locked and cocked rifle in the the trunk if we want.

But I don't, I have my CCW and CHL so I just carry locked and cocked IWB.

I would load my mags at home, but unfortunately most of the ranges around here don't allow FMJ, only JHP an SP. At the range I go to, GPSR they say becasue of "ricochet" hazard but I think it's because they don't want to have to redo their dirt backstop which has been the same for about 30 years, and FMJ and steel-core ammo would tear it up faster.

Anyway they check all ammo, so I would have to unload the mags. easier just to load them on the bench.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

I suppose you walk everywhere you go rather than use a motor vehicle? Afterall, your feet are a gift from God and real mean don't need a $30,000.00 machine to get from one place to another.

Yeah right, tools are for lazy people. Real mean use their bare hands for everything.

He was joking.  Notice the "Wink" Smilie at the end of his post?  It's used on the Internet to show humor, or sarcasm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll load whatever the F#$K I want - when I want ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#19]
When I go to the indoor range about 8 miles from my house on the same street. I load my Sten mags ahead of time. I keep them in a seperate locked case.  When I go to the outdoor range none of my mags are loaded and it's a a lot farther drive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I can transport them legally here. But even if I couldn't, I would. How you like them apples?

Consider me a conscientious objector.

Kinda like when I lived in DC.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#21]
For some folks who can't load their mags at home, how about those stripper clips that you see at the gun shows. I think each clip can hold 10rounds, and with a stripper clip guide and you can load 3 10 round clips into a magazine in seconds, and you will still be within law.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I do it all the time, I hate wasting precious range time loading magazines when it could be done at home
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#23]
There is no state that I know of where it is illegal to have loaded magazines as long as they are stored in a locked container, like the trunk; or inaccesible, like in a bag in your truck's bed.

If you want to transport them in the passenger compt. simply get a loackable box big enough.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]

...  I think my Dad and brother can behave the same way in Illinois, but those poor folks are starting to suffer under the increasingly liberal environment imposed by Chicago.

I seem to recall a web site and/or article talking about a ruling that it was legal in IL to have an unloaded handgun and a loaded magazine in the same case, such as a fanny pack, and actually carry it that way.  The mag had to be out of the gun, but you draw the gun and mag at the same time, insert it and rack the slide and that was legal.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#25]
i load mine right after i buy the ammo.  i carry them in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I'm no expert on laws at all but I usually load all my mags as soon as I'm done cleaning my gun. I'ts just a routine that I'm into. All the mags are ready any time I want to go shooting period.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top