Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 6:31:26 PM EDT
I'm thinking of buying the First Samco M44 handgaurd, and I was wondering if  anyone ever used it and what your thoughts were on it.

Pics would be nice
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
had them sold them, go with SF OR YH
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had one (for a reason)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
They are better than the stock handguards.

You can put a grip and light on them.

They are pretty sturdy.

They are fairly lightweight.

They are not as durable as aluminum tubes.

I like mine, but think they are overpriced.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,

I have used a pair of First Samco's M33 hand guards and what I found is:

1) The Picatinny rails that I used to clamp accessories on were out of specification. Meaning, I had to get a file out and shave the rails out for anything to fit on them.

2) When I used a forward drop grip attached to the bottom Picatinny rail the top and bottom hand guards would not only flex apart but slide back and forth from side to side.

3) That yes I am in fact an idiot for wasting $80.00 of my money to find out first hand what everyone else here on the forum said not to do.

Thus, save your self the headache and spend a little more for a quality setup like: Troy, La Rue, Daniel Defense, Knight, and etc. you will be much happier in the end.

Regards,  

Tgrds

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

spend a little more for a quality setup like: Troy, La Rue, Daniel Defense, Knight, and etc. you will be much happier in the end.

This these handguards are  MUCH more than  "a little" extra.  I say if your on a budget, not Special Forces, or don't want to spend $250-350 for a handguard, go with YHM. I would say they have the best quality/value ratio.

While I wish I could afford better (someday I'll have those DDs) I'm pretty happy with my m44s. Mine are solid and everything I've tried fits on them just fine.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a pair of M44 handguards when I first started up. Mainly to save money. They were nice. I thought they looked uglier than even the standard handguards, but they FEEL SOOOO NICE with the rubber panels installed. The top rail is useless: I don't trust it with optics. So don't waste your money on the M33, as you'd only get ONE (bottom) rail that has somewhat of a use to it.

I ended up selling them, and decided to do it right:

A.R.M.S. #50
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend a low-end aluminum handguard if you really want to keep it cheap.  The Olympic Arms FIRSH can be had for under $100, and that gives you a free-floated aluminum railed handguard for barely more than the M44.  If the M44 was $30, it would be a somewhat different story.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Plastic rails are bad news... i know they cost less than a lot of other options, but for what they are they are waaaaay over priced. Spend a little more and get a LOT more quality.

amen... fobus wasn't that much more when i considered the deal i was getting for a rasII, 4 panels, and a KAC vertical grip...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top