Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 12:40:24 PM EDT
Greetings,

I currently have a Bushmaster 16" flattop A3.  I'm considering another AR for the wifey or giving her mine and me having something along the lines of an SPR.  Everything I read about the .223 bullet fragmentation suggests a longer barrel for higher velocity and longer range fragmentation capability of the bullet.  It seems a lot of folks here opt for the M4 14.5" length barrel.  Am I the odd one out that thinks that a 16" barrel would be better as a more across the board type barrel length to go with?  Would  1 1/2" less barrel length really make the AR that much more handy?  From everything I have read here and on other sites, the 16" makes more sense.  Also, if going for more of an SPR platform, why go with an 18" when I would think a 20" barrel gives you a little bit more range?

Thanks for your responses
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Greetings,

I currently have a Bushmaster 16" flattop A3.  I'm considering another AR for the wifey or giving her mine and me having something along the lines of an SPR.  Everything I read about the .223 bullet fragmentation suggests a longer barrel for higher velocity and longer range fragmentation capability of the bullet.  It seems a lot of folks here opt for the M4 14.5" length barrel.  Am I the odd one out that thinks that a 16" barrel would be better as a more across the board type barrel length to go with?  Would  1 1/2" less barrel length really make the AR that much more handy?  From everything I have read here and on other sites, the 16" makes more sense.  Also, if going for more of an SPR platform, why go with an 18" when I would think a 20" barrel gives you a little bit more range?

Thanks for your responses

18" is working for them pretty well with a suppressor.  I hear they're making kills using 77gr rounds at 600yds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
14.5 inches is good for self defense with M193. Who are we kidding, we're not going to be involved in a defensive shooting past its 75M frag distance anyway. If you want more range switch to 1/7 and buy some 77gr ammo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
  Barrel length does not equal accuracy. The misnomer that it did started because longer barells generaly had a longer sight radius, the longer sight radius is what creats accuracy. It has been suggested that a longer barrel flexs and "whips" more that a short barrel, thus throwing your shot off. If you are useing a scope, a 16" bull barrel will yield great accuracy. I hand load, so I use powder with a relativealy quick burn rate, that way it burns most of it in the short barrel.  I use Reloader-7 and 50grain bullets in my 16" barrel and I don't see any flash at the muzzle, that means it has all burned by that point, if I used any longer of a barrel the bullet would only slow down. Now if I had a 24" barrel, I would use Reloader-25 (a slow burning powder) to acheive max velocity.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top