Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 3:52:36 PM EDT

I'm planning on buying myself a Bushmaster AR15 for X-Mas this year and am having trouble deciding on what "style" of rifle to buy.  These are the two choices I've narrowed it down to.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa2s20.asp

&

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp

I plan to use this rifle for simple target shooting (no more than 100 yards away) and as a home defense weapon.  Whichever rifle I choose, I will get the A3 upper so I can add optics later on if desired.  My only reservation is that the M4 might feel a little small since the barrel is 4" less.  I haven't been able to find a dealer that had one in stock for me to check out so, I really can't make any comparisons.

So, based on my needs, what type of AR15 should I get?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No contest, the M4. You'll appreciate the shorter barrel for home defense and a 20" isn't needed for shooting under 100 yards. IMHO
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Go post this in the NC hometown forum and attend their next group shoot.  You will get to play with more styles of ARs than you can remember (or have the money to buy ).  Personally, I would get the M4, simply because of the ease of handling.  The balance of a M4 is really nice, its a handy carbine, and its still accurate enough to engage man-sized targets out to 200+ yards.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like you want something for general close-range plinking and home defense, so I'd recommend the M4. It is light and easy to maneuver, making it ideal in a CQB scenario. It won't be an extra-long range rifle, but will do what you've specified.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
M4! Don't worry...it won't be too small. The FS should bring it out to about 18"

Welcome

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you folks saying that an M4 would be better or a 16" length carbine would be better? I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but everything I read about the bullet fragmentation performance of the 5.56 suggests that a longer barrel will give reliable fragmentation out to greater distances.  Again, I am no expert on any of this, but I would vote for a 16" carbine vs. the 14.5" barrel length of the M4 replicas.  It's still a very handy carbine.  Oh yeah, make it a flattop.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No contest, the M4. You'll appreciate the shorter barrel for home defense and a 20" isn't needed for shooting under 100 yards. IMHO

You betcha - and the lighter weight will be a bonus too!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote: 1 of each!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
i'm a little vain but get something like my rifle...

small enough, light enough... but a 16" barrel so it allows you fragmentation well past 100m... it'll hit harder than a 14.5 in barrel at all ranges... and it allows you to mod. your muzzle device to any FS or brake you want...

20" barrels are best for military applications where long distances are more frequent... but even more current battles in afganistan and iraq are under 100m...  and soldiers are asking for more smaller/lighter weapons...  a 20" barrel is anoying indoors...

hope this helps

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you folks saying that an M4 would be better or a 16" length carbine would be better? I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but everything I read about the bullet fragmentation performance of the 5.56 suggests that a longer barrel will give reliable fragmentation out to greater distances.  Again, I am no expert on any of this, but I would vote for a 16" carbine vs. the 14.5" barrel length of the M4 replicas.  It's still a very handy carbine.  Oh yeah, make it a flattop.

Take a look at his choices - 16" M4 or 20" rifle.  Between the two, everyone is saying the 16" M4 is better for his application.
14.5" M4 bbl vs. 16" M4 bbl is a different question, and I'm sure there will be less agreement there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
16" A2 midlength.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
 welcome aboard, EZ.

what part of carolina?

OBTW:  another vote for the M4 variety

oh and jar3ds................

great rig you got there
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
M4 and A3 - get the flat top now or you'll hate yourself later when you decide you want to add optics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 welcome aboard, EZ.

what part of carolina?

OBTW:  another vote for the M4 variety

Wilson, NC - About 45 miles from Raleigh.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys.  It sounds like the M4 w/ an A3 upper is the way to go.

I'm going to try and stop by the gun shop this weekend and see if I can handle a few Bushmasters.  

How long of a wait should I expect if they don't have an M4 in stock?  I'm thinking that I should go ahead and order one just in case John Scary gets elected in Novemeber.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Order one if there's a wait and relax.  There will not be a ban before your order arrives.  Period.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top