Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 12:21:05 PM EDT
Ok, we were having an argument today at work about the difference between the A2 or non-removable carry handle and the A3 removable hanlde. What is the real difference between the two models. We looked through 3 or 4 LE books and found optics mounted to both setups. What  makes either one better or worse?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 is non removable, A3 is removable

and that means, A3 give you more options on how to mount your optics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A3 carry handle has 1/2 MOA adjustments. Also, it isn't very useful as a carry handle, unless you've got hands like E.T.!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks so far but, I need more details. Are there pros and cons on either setup? Which one is better for the Eotech, or other red dot  type optics? Which one is better for just plain iron sights? In other words is the A3 worth the extra cash?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The bottom line is that mounbting directly onto the rail is much better than mounting on top of a carry handle. This way the optic sits more in line with the barrel, and the point-of-aim to point-of impact will remain more consistent at longer distances. If you know for sure (damn sure) that you'd never get optics, go with an A2. If you're not quite sure, go with the A3, as you'll eventually come around and want a piece of glass sitting up top!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cool, thanks so far but, I need more details. Are there pros and cons on either setup? Which one is better for the Eotech, or other red dot  type optics? Which one is better for just plain iron sights? In other words is the A3 worth the extra cash?

Are you comparing the receivers or the carry handles?

The differences between the carry handles are that the non-removable handle has a larger opening so that it is more useful as a carry handle and the fixed A2 has twice as much elevation adjustment available.

If you are comparing the receivers and which is better for optics then the flat-top is hands down the best option.  The EoTech was designed specifically to attach directly to the flat-top.  Most of the available mounts for the Aimpoint are designed to attach directly to the flat-top.  Most importantly, there are only 2 ways to attach optics to the A2.  You either mount them on top of the carry handle which is way too high for most uses.  You need a raised cheekpiece to see through it and it is so high above the bore that zeroing the weapon for different ranges is difficult.  The other option is to mount the optic at the same height as the iron sights but put them out front over the handguards.  This gets the optics own to the correct height but most scopes don't work with that much eye relief, it puts all the weight out front which many people think ruins the balance (I agree) and there are not as many stable mounting options available.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Are you comparing the receivers or the carry handles?

The differences between the carry handles are that the non-removable handle has a larger opening so that it is more useful as a carry handle and the fixed A2 has twice as much elevation adjustment available.

If you are comparing the receivers and which is better for optics then the flat-top is hands down the best option.  The EoTech was designed specifically to attach directly to the flat-top.  Most of the available mounts for the Aimpoint are designed to attach directly to the flat-top.  Most importantly, there are only 2 ways to attach optics to the A2.  You either mount them on top of the carry handle which is way too high for most uses.  You need a raised cheekpiece to see through it and it is so high above the bore that zeroing the weapon for different ranges is difficult.  The other option is to mount the optic at the same height as the iron sights but put them out front over the handguards.  This gets the optics own to the correct height but most scopes don't work with that much eye relief, it puts all the weight out front which many people think ruins the balance (I agree) and there are not as many stable mounting options available.

Thanks, thats what I was really looking for. This gun is going to be used for LE and I wanted to make sure that I made the right choice. Since the order for the Bushmaster has already been placed, A3 of course.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top