Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 11:20:07 AM EDT
I've found that the only thing I want to add to my A2 style AR15 is a side sling mount so I could mount a single point sling on it, and I've found a number of sources online for an adapter that'll fit an A2 stock (as most are for telestocks, of course).

So I'm wondering, and I'm aware this is completely subjective, but I want your raw opinions here:  is it silly to mount a side single point sling on a A2 rifle? (as in 20", not a  carbine)... it won't be the lightest thing on the planet, but I think it'll prove useful for me... Especially since I would love to try the 2 dollar sling idea in the Sling board.

I want your rawest opinions, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's silly.  If that is what you want to use - go for it.

I just added one of those single point sling adapters to my fixed stock (it's a Sully Stock on a carbine) - I don't see why it won't work (unless you're really short).
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
do it!

who gives a rat's ass what some chairborne ranger thinks?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm 5'11" so I think I'm ok on the height issue.  Not like this is a 24 or 28" super varmint gun!

Now I just have to find a good dealer people here like :)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]

All of my A2, A1, and Entry Stocks are using side sling mounts, specifically the Daniel Defense Burnsed loops... it's not silly, it works... and with your height, you won't have any problems...

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Now I just have to find a good dealer people here like :)

Outstanding product and a great company to do business with...

www.danieldefense.com

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I'll be ordering direct from Daniel Defense, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I like those my self,you can find them on the EE!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
do it!

who gives a rat's ass what some chairborne ranger thinks?

Well this chairborne ranger has actually used them, and dislikes them alot. The main problem I have with them is that they hit you right in the nuts when you run. And that was a 16" gun, a 20" would be worse I would imagine. There are also problems with cross transitioning to your off hand unless you disconnect them from your gun to do so.

Its your money bud, but in the long run I think you would be happier with a 3 point system.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have always done pretty much my own thing whether it is popular or not.

If it works for you go for it.

You could always change you mind later on and try soemthing different then.

So, unless you try something how are you giung to know if you really like it or not?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well this chairborne ranger has actually used them, and dislikes them alot. The main problem I have with them is that they hit you right in the nuts when you run. And that was a 16" gun, a 20" would be worse I would imagine.

This is exactly why I quit using single-point slings...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
ParanoidAndroid....
If it suits your purposes it is most definitely not silly. It's only silly if the purpose is to be "kewl".
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the MOUT single point on my carbine and it hangs a bit low -so a 20" may even more so, but you can adjust it up to the point it will be fine.

its all in how you use it

throught he woods, etc, I actually like the traditional style, but again- its all in the use
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
A side slung 2 pont sling is what I use on all of my rifles.  Drill a hole through the buttstock and insert a uncle mikes swivel stud, then use a uncle mikes qd sling swivel, cost is about $1 for the stud and a few bucks for the qd swivel.  For the front, you can drill in to the handhaurds and attatch the same setup as the rear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Then you can get beat up by your Chalker sling.  Here's a classic sequence I saw happen to a guy durring a course where we did a quick change from rifle to pistol:
1. fire rifle to empty, drop rife and draw pitol on the move
2. rifle swings between legs and smacks the jewels
3. double's over and the rifle butt, bumps his mouth (splitting his lower lip)
4. takes a knee, muzzle digs in the dirt (acting like a post) and he whacks his nose on the butt plate
To the guy's credit, he maintained controll of his pistol with no shots fired.

Lessons learned:
Have a 1 point sling that slides the rifle to the side
If it's on your front, maintain control of the rifle.  
A muzzle device is a good idea so as to not get crap plugging you barrel
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Unlike those that have responded about the single point sling.I use a three point sling mounted on a forward point that you can use for a single point on the buttstock.I originaly used a KAC sling mount but found the extra inch too long for me.I have since done what IdahOBound has done and drill a hole in my stock and mount a Uncle Mikes swivel.I use a KMC swivel on my collapsable stock.A three point sling is better in my opinion.A single point will kill your nuts.Dont use a single point that has a plate with out a swivel it will rip up your knuckles.SJR556.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
....The main problem I have with them is that they hit you right in the nuts when you run. ...

Why are you running with a slung rifle?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top