Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 5:17:34 AM EDT
What will happen if I buy a LE model AR today, the ban is reinstated down the road, will I be guilty of owning a LE model? It is my understanding that the LE models have LE stamped on the guns. If the ban is reinstated what will happen to those civillians that own LE guns?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Who knows what the future holds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What will happen if I buy a LE model AR today, the ban is reinstated down the road, will I be guilty of owning a LE model? It is my understanding that the LE models have LE stamped on the guns. If the ban is reinstated what will happen to those civillians that own LE guns?

No. go to the BATF website. They have specifically ruled that LEO Restricted markings on firearms and magazines no longer have any validity. the documents are very clear.

If a new ban is reinstated, it will probably not be concerned with trivialities such as the last one was.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Next ban, boy am I ever sick of this pessimism.  Why don't we just turn them all in now and forego the next ban.  Save the anti's the trouble.  LEO stuff is legal now and they will be legal then.  When the "next ban" comes, this will have to be addressed and some other unique stamping will have to be devised to cover that aspect, IF THE "NEXT BAN" IS THE SAME AS THE LAST!!

That major assumption (leap of faith) that any "next ban" will be the same as the last is ridiculous.  The anit's have realized their mistake and if the "next ban" ever occurs, you can bet your ass (and your rifles) that it will be alot tougher, so the whole LEO being legal thing may be a mute point.

Do your part to ensure the "next ban" doesn't occur.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
They have recently instituted a draconian gun ban and registration/turn in in South Africa. Word is it is the death knell for the lucrative big game hunting industry in South Africa as hunters are having extreme trouble getting weapons into the country for sport.

Another nation falls by the wayside.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Go buy one and enjoy it!!   Get the magazines they are cheap now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the comments, i've gotten alot of great info here.  i am also concerned that owning a LE model might cause commotion at a range or any other shooting place where a LEO sees my gun and asked" hey man that thing says for law enforc only, hey bubba let me see that gun"  then its a hastling issue and have to explain this or that. i would think LE personell would know rules BUT.......i dont know, i just want to be able to enjoy but had to ask about The LE craze going on, everyone wants a LE gun. frankly i dont want to draw attention to myself, i want to be left alone. i guess the resale value is what everyone is after?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I would tell that LEO to F off and mind his own business. Then I would tell him to go away and not bother me until he goes and learns the law. Of course that is only what I would think as I am explaining to the naive bastard why I am able to have the same stuff as him.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
It was the CONFIGURATION, not the STAMPING.  Otherwise everyone that owned a US PROPERTY lower would be guilty of theft from the Federal Government.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thanks for the comments, i've gotten alot of great info here.  i am also concerned that owning a LE model might cause commotion at a range or any other shooting place where a LEO sees my gun and asked" hey man that thing says for law enforc only, hey bubba let me see that gun"  then its a hastling issue and have to explain this or that. i would think LE personell would know rules BUT.......i dont know, i just want to be able to enjoy but had to ask about The LE craze going on, everyone wants a LE gun. frankly i dont want to draw attention to myself, i want to be left alone. i guess the resale value is what everyone is after?

If you are worried about it, print out he BATF ruling and keep it in your range bag to display to trolls and pundits as needed. It pretty much dispells any ignorant notions about the "restricted" markings.

Here is the specific text:

There are no longer any marking requirements for semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Existing markings on firearms and magazines relating to law enforcement or government use may be disregarded.

You will find the BATF letter where that text came from here (print for your records if in doubt about the ruling): CHANGES IN FEDERAL LAW - 9/13/2004
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just don't buy one, OK?  Get one without those unsettling markings, be happy and sleep happy dreams.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Next ban, boy am I ever sick of this pessimism.  Why don't we just turn them all in now and forego the next ban.  Save the anti's the trouble.  LEO stuff is legal now and they will be legal then.  When the "next ban" comes, this will have to be addressed and some other unique stamping will have to be devised to cover that aspect, IF THE "NEXT BAN" IS THE SAME AS THE LAST!!

That major assumption (leap of faith) that any "next ban" will be the same as the last is ridiculous.  The anit's have realized their mistake and if the "next ban" ever occurs, you can bet your ass (and your rifles) that it will be alot tougher, so the whole LEO being legal thing may be a mute point.

Do your part to ensure the "next ban" doesn't occur.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are in to the stamp as a kinda of fu to authorties, then go for it.  Since it does not improve the rifle at all, I don't see any need for it unless you can get a better deal on one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Why bother getting one? I just bought a Bushmaster no ban 20 inch a2 with all the evil goodies. Which is just the FH and bayonet lug. I got it for just under $800. LEO marked guns will lose their cool factor quickly, and like the man said, "Why draw attention to yourself?"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top