Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 8:21:35 PM EDT
Hello to you all.
This is my first post here but I am certainly not new to firearms, or for that matter to the M16...
The last time I handled a M16 A1 was when I left the Marine Corps in 1983. (S/Sgt, 0451)

I sent my check for a Bronze membership but until it is active, my searches are limited to the past 30 days so if this has been covered, I would appreciate a link to the thread.

My question is this...

I want a new carbine and I have settled on Pete at Legal Transfer, largely because of the positive comments I found here. I have read about the supposed extra stress on the action of a M4 carbine gas system versus the mid length system that translates to a longer lag time and less wear and tear on the bolt. It also gives the rifle a smoother recoil impulse, etc, etc....

At least this is my read on all this.  

I called Rock River and they said there was no evidence to this (and that there would be a eight week wait!) Pete also said this was BS and I am not doubting these sources as much as trying to see what the reason for the mid length is beside the slightly longer handguards and 2" additional sight radius... Am I missing something?

I have pretty much settled on a fairly standard M4 16" no ban, collapsible stock, flat top with ARMS #40 chrome 1/9. Not sure of the optics yet but I do like the Aimpoint Comp M2 currently on my DSA FAL. I have ALOT of 55 grain ammo to shoot up...

Suggestions or comments please...

Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's get this out of the way first......GET BOTH!

Ok I have both Carbine and Midlength gas system carbine's and can tell you the Midlength is a smoother system, Big deal? prolly not. The carbine will have more options available when it comes time for a rail system, That time WILL come trust me.
Oh and welcome to our sickness!......Udog
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have a lot of "options" on your gun, check out ADCO. A buddy of mine bought his RRA lower parts kit from them and it was at his door in 2 days. Direct from RRA, you're looking at a month minimum.
Also, I went with midlength on mine and although I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet (so I can't verify the impulse claim), I must say it looks much better than a regular M4 or CAR handguard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome and Semper Fi!  Unfortunately I can't help you.  I stick with the 20" A2.  However, goodluck!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my M4, I have never had a mid length so I can not comment on them but I have owned A2 style full lengths, CAR-15 style rifles, and M4 style rifles and I love my M4. I have been offered WAY more for my rifle than what I built it for and will not get rid of it. Others might argue but I like mine...

Not only does it shoot great but it looks cool also...

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I would choose the mid-length gas system even if it didn't have a smoother recoil impulse.  It still has the advantages of  a longer sight radius, additional rail space, and (though subjective) asthetics.

But the best reason:  you can put a bayo on that sucker.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would choose the mid-length gas system even if it didn't have a smoother recoil impulse.  It still has the advantages of  a longer sight radius, additional rail space, and (though subjective) asthetics.

But the best reason:  you can put a bayo on that sucker.  

Although a bayonet is the least of my worries, and the "looking cool" aspect is just a joke, I can put a bayonet on mine without a problem if I had a bayonet lug but since I will not be bayonetting anyone I will not pay for the extra work. And as far as sight radius goes, isn't it only and extra inch and a half? I am not sure on that. I do agree with the extra rail space but I ran out of things to put on my rail before I filled it up . Again, to each his own... I think they are all cool as long as they launch bullets down range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
completely depends... the carbine has the advantage of the PRI gas system if your really concerned about wear... i have a normal carbine system with a 16" barrel and i'm doing fine... i use an H-buffer to help a little with an extrapower extractor spring...

midlengths have some advatages but there isn't as much assessories for it... so i went with carbine... if carbine's sucked we wouldn't have the m4

Look Here
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top