Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 12:44:34 PM EDT
Hi folks

After a couple of trades and purchases, I've got an extra Eagle Arms lower receiver with a clone LMT Crane modstock on it.
I'm looking at picking up one of two complete upper receivers (and the other one at a later point in time), and wanted to ask for opinions. I've got limited funds at the moment so I can't "get both" in true AR15.com fashion - which one should I get first ?

A3 Dissipator with A2 Flash Hider & removable carry handle

-or-

A3 24" Varmint (fluted heavy chrome moly barrel) with "standard"
aluminum free-float tube and 1913 Gas Block - I'd have to wait a
while before I could pick up the flip-up front/rear sights and the
optics (probably a 4X I.O.R. .223 compensating Dragunov reticle).

I currently own a RRA A2 20" and a Bushmaster A2 11.5"/5.5".

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
JHaines...

With all do respect to those with BUIS on their M4gery's, Carbines, and SBRs it wouldn't really benefit you to have these sights on the weapon.  Aside from defensive SHTF situations, you'll likely never "lose the scope" and hopefully with that Varminter set-up you'll be shooting at such distances that the BUIS wouldn't likely getcha on paper.  I'm working on that same set-up right now, and for what its worth I do not plan to use BUIS.  However, I read a thread here once that stated the front sight base (plain not folding) would not interfere with the sight plain.  Something about the optical plane or ellipse.....something sexy like that, anyways I threw my scope on one of my other ARs' and sure enough you can see just fine right "through" the FSB.  Good luck on your build.  

Also......the dissipator if I'm not mistaken costs much less than the Varminter, but I'd still go with the Varminter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.

I'd be getting the BUIS and flip-front more because I am a completist than because I could see myself having a need for it.
I'm leaning towards the Dissipator for some strange reason. I think the rifle looks pretty slick.

I would really like the functionality of a heavy barreled varmint rifle - but I can see sinking way too much money into turning it into an SPR style clone.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top