Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2004 8:12:17 AM EDT
What is the difference between the post and pre ban models? Sorry for th dumb question.... new here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
There no longer is any Post/Pre ban rifles..... AWB expired.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Mike

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's not true.  Rifles are out there in post and pre configurations but now that the law has expired there's no legal requirement to keep them that way.  Unless you live in an occupied state like CA.

As a general rule, rifles that are post-ban do not have collapsible stocks, flash hiders, bayonet lugs or threaded muzzles.  Many of the post-ban rifles actually have a threaded muzzle but in order to be legal they had a muzzle brake 'permanently' attached to cover the threads.  Depending on how the brake was made permanent it is possible to remove the brake with minimal damage to the barrel, then you can just thread on a flash hider.  If the muzzle of the rifle is just a plain muzzle then you can have a machine shop or gunsmith use a lathe to thread the muzzle.  

There are no differences in how the parts fit together so you can buy a 'post-ban' lower receiver and attach a 'no-ban/pre-ban' upper receiver to it.  You can also buy a 'post-ban' upper and replace the barrel with a 'no-ban/pre-ban' barrel.  You can also buy a 'post-ban' lower and replace the stock with a 'no-ban/pre-ban' stock.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Mike

Well, not entirely true...

The ban did expire in MOST states that did not have a state ban.

For those states that have a permanent ban such as NY for instance, where their ban was very similar to the Federal ban that expired:

A semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine cannot have more than 1 evil feature, or it is considered an illegal "semi-automatic assault rifle"

the "evil" features are:

1) pistol grip
2) threaded barrel
3) Flash hider
4) Bayonet lug
5) grenade launcher ring, attachment device or muzzle attachment of correct diameter to accept a rifle grenade
6) folding or collapsible stock

You can only have ONE of these features. Most "POST-BAN" Ar15s have the pistol grip as their one feature permitted.

It also banned magazines which had a capacity of more than 10 cartridges for any semiauto weapon, pistol or rifle.

I thank my stars I do not live in one of those "occupied" states.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Starting to make sense now.. So If I want a no ban configuration I am looking for a pistol grip, with threaded barrel, a flash hider, and a collapsible stock. What I don't want is a permanently attached muzzle brake. Thanks all that replied. I am starting to getting it now!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, except if you get a 20" A2 or A4 model, for instance, you don't a collapsible stock, but you still get the flash hider, threaded barrel, bayo lug and pistol grip.

but you've got the idea.

You'll know. The no-ban rifles are the "correct" looking ones.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top