Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:56:33 PM EDT
Mine is doing a google search for M16/AR15 data and finding nothing but Airsoft, Tokyo Marui and the like.  Even on an advanced search with "all the above terms excluded, they still come up somehow

Edited to add: Yes I know some early Colt AR15 models were selective fire (some even stamped both AR15 and M16), I am referring to later civilian semi-auto models.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is, when someone see's one of mine for the first time.... they say "you can own one of THOSE!!!???!!!"

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The fact that a Class 3 costs at least 10K...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dumb Fucks who buy OLY's Shit Creations and then bog the site down with trouble shooting questions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dumb Fucks who buy OLY's Shit Creations and then bog the site down with trouble shooting questions.

But what would Tweak have to do if they didn't
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
wtf is wrong w/ oly?
i know im goinna get flamed, but is it the parts in 'em or the recievers themselves...
i just bought an oly lower w/ bushy parts kit, and am now worried its gonna be a pos.  i just figured a lower is a lowewr is a lower.........
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
"Seeing a non-Colt AR15 clone or variant called an "AR15" (AR15 is a Colt trademark)"  Only if you're a Colt snob.  Actually, I'm gonna start calling Colt "Dolt".

To answer your question, I don't have any of the peeves listed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
People telling me the way I charge my weapon (trigger hand) is slower, lame, stupid, etc. as compared to charging it with the non-trigger hand.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
wtf is wrong w/ oly?
i know im goinna get flamed, but is it the parts in 'em or the recievers themselves...
i just bought an oly lower w/ bushy parts kit, and am now worried its gonna be a pos.  i just figured a lower is a lowewr is a lower.........

Oly lowers are great.  Quit worrying.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot the classic "My father's friend's cousin was a Navy Delta Super Ninja SEAL squirrel and he said the M16 was an unreliable POS."

Or variations upon the theme.

I don't get pissy about calling various rifles from the different manufacturers AR15s because I'd rather not have to go into the "J15", "M15", "XM15", or whatever nonsense.   It's the one thing where I pretty much am in agreement with the Ca. DOJ, the series or family of rifle is the "AR15" family.    I lump the M16 in with it as well only referring to an M16 when I wish to denote it's select fire capability or NFA status.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
wtf is wrong w/ oly?

I have one that has been dead reliable, but....

1) softer steel parts (4140 instead of 4150)
2) some lesser QC (some magwells tight, canted FSB)
3) FCG parts not thermal treated

I rebarreled mine with a chrome line USGI 20", much happier now.

Some of the popular alloy grades are 4140, 4150 & 4340.

Generally speaking, alloy steel is used when more strength, ductility or toughness is required than can be obtained in a carbon grade. In addition, alloy grades should be used where properties such as corrosion resistance, heat resistance and low-temperature impact values are required. It should be emphasized that unless a thermal treatment is performed, the properties of an alloy grade will be no better than those of a carbon grade of equal carbon content. The potentials of alloy steel are realized through thermal treatment.

- Steel grade info

If you bought a forged lower, build it out. Chances are it will be fine. Only problems I ever had with an OLY lower were DPMS lower kit FCG pins walked with rapid fire causing FCG jam, use their (Olympic) FCG pins or retainers if this occurs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate the mouse gun bullsh*t. I can outshoot any of these .30 caliber guys. I like my m1s, but the Black Rifle will shoot rings(literally) around them. Join the 20th century already!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
that I only have 4 of them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hate the mouse gun bullsh*t. I can outshoot any of these .30 caliber guys. I like my m1s, but the Black Rifle will shoot rings(literally) around them. Join the 20th century already!

Don't take it personally.  Hell, I LOVE my poodle-shooters.

Remember, the small-block Chevy 350 is called the "mouse motor."  Doesn't mean it can't bring the whoop-ass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
cleaning them
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mine is doing a google search for M16/AR15 data and finding nothing but Airsoft, Tokyo Marui and the like.  Even on an advanced search with "all the above terms excluded, they still come up somehow

Edited to add: Yes I know some early Colt AR15 models were selective fire (some even stamped both AR15 and M16), I am referring to later civilian semi-auto models.

Gas Piston Uppers & the unfounded mythical superiority everyone places on something just because it's different...

HK416
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Cast FSB's....I strongly dislike them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
You know the M-16 shoots a bullet that tumbles. That's why it does so much damage to humans. It can actually hit you in the shinbone and come out behind your ear.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
People who are Colt snobs.

I don't care what is trademarked, who's got stronger steel, or who has exclusive govt contracts; Rounds on target fastest wins.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hey hey hey, I love my 7.62s....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mine is, when someone see's one of mine for the first time.... they say "you can own one of THOSE!!!???!!!"

I agree, I really get tired of defending these rifles - especially in the wake of the AWB sunset.  Although, it's really satisfying to take the wary/fearful individual shooting and see the sheer look of joy on their face when they see how much fun these things are.

I guess it's just the cost of doing business...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
"whoa!!  Dude you own assult rifles!  Are those even legal!?!"

But coming up with airsoft stuff in a search is close up there next to that.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Right now? Well, probably everything Sen. Kerry says about them.

Did you know that since Pres. Bush failed to extend the AWB that a terrorist can go into any gun store and legally buy an assault weapon? That could not have happened during the ban because they weren't available. These are military weapons of war! How can you possibly claim to fight terrorism when you allow guns like this back on our streets after 10 years? I see no reason why anyone would need an assault weapon to go hunting so they serve no purpose other than to put police officers in danger, blah, blah, blah, more lies, more misinformation, etc.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I used my daddy's .223 for coyote huntin' all the time  Hey is perot runnin for prez again heheh just kidding:)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Definately Napalm and Jonesy, closely followed by the assault rifle bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I resent that .30 comment....  I mainly collect that older stuff, I've only recently swung into the AR-15 world, and I'm looking at other semi-auto copys of NFA stuff, and most of that is mainly do to the AWB expireing and I'm worked into a frenzy, but I'll return to my older stuff, my next project will eighther be an AR-15 in M-16 "slicksides" configuration, an AR-15 in M-15A1 (useing actual real surplus M-16A1 upper reciever....), an M-4 in the origional 720 configuration as you may recall from another thread, an AK-47 (the wood stocked kind....), or an Enfield, eighther Number 1 Mark 3, or Number 4 Mark 1 not sure, it depends on my budget at the time, and what mood I'm in....

AR-15's are certainly accurite guns, but my old stuff will outshoot one any day, particularly at range, you ever see what a K-31, good Mauser, or Enfield can do?....

Prime example I was at the range awhile back with my new M1-Garand and M-1917 (also known as the P-17, or simply the "Eddystone"....), both rifles were new to me hadn't used them before, I was mainly out to test them, do a little blasting, and a rough site in, I set up at 50 yards next to some young maybe late teens early 20's "tacti-cool" guys with a post ban M-4gery you know the type every gimmicky useless assessory known to man was strapped to his rifle, and he kept bragging about his rifle to his 4 or so non-shooting Buddys he brought with him, and to anyone else in ear shot, and went on about how he was in SWAT, yadda, yadda, whatever sure I believe you, riiiight, whatever floats your boat man, so I procede to start blasting away, now as I said I wasn't really aiming to much, or going for grouping I was just blasting that day, just hitting the target, and getting a rough idea where my shots were going and adjusting my sights accordingly next time I'de do some more seriouse sighting in, and shooting for groups but today I was just plinking, mmeanwhile this guy is next to me I could swear he was takeing 5 minutes each shot, and I'm not sure what he was shooting but it sounded like his AR was a cannon, thought maybe he was useing one of those more creative chamberings nope, discretely check one of his spent shell caseings .223 so I figure he must have had them REALLY over loaded, anyway I go get my targets maybe 5 inch groups not bad considering I wasn't really attempting to aim, but I look at his target, maybe 2 of his shots actually hit paper one near the top of the target, and one by the bottom, maybe 14 inches or so apart, chuckle to myself get home, and I start reviewing my targets again, and low and behold a couple of them had .22 caliber holes in them (spaced way out to....), so my target was maybe 10 feet from his and at 50 yards takeing 5 minutes to aim you manage about a 10 foot group?....  Now I know it wasn't the rifles fault but I just thought I'de spread this humorouse little story, I know the AR is accurite, and I own my own now so I know first hand, but that said my old guns will shoot circles around most AR's....  Infact the reason there talking about switching to the 6.8 is to try and get better range out of the AR, it seems the Terrorists in Afganistan are hold up in the mountains shooting "old" Lee Enfields....  Non of this is meant to bash the AR, I'm just saying just because it's old doesn't automaticly make it bad....  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
AR-15's are certainly accurite guns, but my old stuff will outshoot one any day, particularly at range, you ever see what a K-31, good Mauser, or Enfield can do?....

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Believe me, I'm a huge fan of turnbolts and service rifles of all nations, I own pretty much the whole stable of .30 caliber pre-1950 military arms, but I would never, not in a million years, claim that any of them with any degree of regularity will outshoot a modern AR-15 variant - certainly not an AR setup for accuracy.

My best milsurps are a K-31/43 sniper & a Swede M96, both of which will, with handloads and much work on my part, shoot sub MOA.

Well, every single AR in my closet will do that, most of them with std. commercial ammo. My best AR will shoot 1/4MOA with match ammo. Find me a .30 caliber military arm, even a NM Garand, that will do that.

Apples and oranges in most cases, but a modern AR is an extremely accurate military arm.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#28]
What is your Biggest AR15 Pet Peeve?

AR15 GEEKS

1.  "Don't buy it if it ain't chrome-lined."  I prefer chrome-lined too, but if that's the only thing standing between you and an AR, get the chrome-moly.

2.  [nagging little sissy]"I always correct people when they say clip instead of mag.  It's like fingernails on a chalk board."[nagging little sissy]  Who cares?  If they own guns in America, they are family.  Don't alienate them.  My Dad spent a year in the bush in Nam and he calls them clips.  I'd like to see one of you correct him.

3.  [pre AWB sunset]"Well, if you have the lower and telestock then you are guilty of intent to construct."  STFU

4.  "If it don't say COLT, it's just a copy."  ha
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#29]
when some white guy at the range looks down on me because i am not white and i own "assault rifles"  or "machine guns" (cause they dont know the difference)

not intended to start anything. just stating my personal experiences
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Seeing an AR15 called "Assault Rifle" (true assault rifles are selective fire)

That is far and away my biggest pet pieve. Most of the other ones are kind of silly IMHO. Airsoft? I have been abe to find anything I need of want AR related from this site. No need for Google searches.

Calling non-Colt guns AR15's? So, do you get pissed when someone asks you for a Kleenex or a Band-Aid? I have a couple of AR15's and not one of them has a fairy pony on them. But calling an AR a Assault weapon is what allowed the AWB to happen and will allow it to happen again if the truth doesn't get out to the sheeple.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#31]
"I Dremeled my [insert part that shouldn't be Dremeled]........................."

"What do I use to cover scratches/dings on my [insert part of rifle that, if used, will get scratched/dinged]..........................................."

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#32]
What type of gun did Pacino use in that movie, you know, I think it was called Heat.

I have many pet peeves.

My number one peeve:  COLT sucks because they have .170 fire control pins.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't take it personally.  Hell, I LOVE my poodle-shooters.

Remember, the small-block Chevy 350 is called the "mouse motor."  Doesn't mean it can't bring the whoop-ass.

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Most definitely.  I have to get that question AT LEAST ONCE every time teeny boppers and fratboys are out at the range...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What planet did this retard come from ?    My M14 (M1A) shoots as good if not better than any of my AR's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Definately Napalm and Jonesy, closely followed by the assault rifle bullshit.

+1

However, I'm getting sick of seeing guys put airsoft accessories on their ARs and then claiming they are just as good, if not better than the real deals.  Oh, and then making fun of the folks that actually rely on their rifles to save their lives!

Hey, where has Napalm & Jonesy been?  I miss those guys
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Definitely all the TP threads and the threads on 14.5 vs 16" barrels. (just buy what you want, but the 16" is more versital and your not married to one suppressor manufacturer)
Colt snobs and Oly broken down specials have to come after that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#38]

When family/friends tell people that I have a machine gun.  Good gracious...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
People who are Colt snobs.

I don't care what is trademarked, who's got stronger steel, or who has exclusive govt contracts; Rounds on target fastest wins.

What's wrong with being a Colt snob?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#40]
My biggest pet peeve is that my glorious government (in all its wisdom) will not allow me to have a semi-auto. he
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#41]
1.Is those legal?
2.Is that assault rifle fully automatic?
3.The fact that I can`t buy a 10inch barreled AR without NFA bullshit.
4.I can`t find the Colt S/A LMG to save my life.
5.I still don`t have a Beta Drum
6. People who constantly bash Colt. I agree on the 2nd they suck. But I think Colt`s AR-15 are better than most others. And yes I have a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
when some white guy at the range looks down on me because i am not white and i own "assault rifles"  or "machine guns" (cause they dont know the difference)

not intended to start anything. just stating my personal experiences

People like you describe is exactly why law abiding, responsible US citizens of all races, skin color and ethnic origin SHOULD legally own such rifles.

The Asian-American shopkeepers defending their shops and livelihood from looting and plunder with semi-auto AK variants during the devastating LA riots is a prime example of how our consititutional right to bear arms  works as it was intended,
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#44]
a) the shit where you eat recoil system ;)

b) HK not selling their piston uppers to us common folks
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#45]
AR owners that have never..........Read a TM that explains how to do simple maintenance or operator tasks before posting dumb questions on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
"I Dremeled my [insert part that shouldn't be Dremeled]........................."

"What do I use to cover scratches/dings on my [insert part of rifle that, if used, will get scratched/dinged]..........................................."

Even worse when you see these two together:  "I ruined my finish when I dremeled my ____.  What do I use to fix it?  Will finish pens correct my misfeed problems from my homemade M4 feed ramps?"

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#47]
My is when someone outside of the firearm circle says, "did you know that the gov't passed some kind of law so any one can own a machine gun now"

That is truly annoying, so I have to explain to them what the AWB was.

And if someone happens to see my M4gery they ask "Isn't that illegal?" Oh yeah like I am going to own a illegal weapon, dumbass.

People's ignorance of Firearms and Firearm laws irratate the hell out of me!

Dove hunters irratate me too, always leaving gates open, putting rutts in our fields and tresspassing with out permission. I even have No Tresspassing signs every 30 ft along my fence line!

Oh yeah and COLT
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What planet did this retard come from ?    My M14 (M1A) shoots as good if not better than any of my AR's.

The same planet as 90%+ of NRA competitors, who have long since abandoned their M14-platform weapons for AR-platform weapons....

The AR is a far more accurate design by nature....
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
a) the shit where you eat recoil system ;)

b) HK not selling their piston uppers to us common folks

An example of the pet-peeve I was talking about...

And a very fitting board-name for such an example....
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Fake telestocks. WTF?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top