Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 5:20:08 PM EDT
After a day at the range how is the best way to clean your rifle AR or other?

This has always bothered me cuz if i'm making an investment on a gun I want to take very good care of it.

I have not seen much on this topic and would like some firm clarification.

PS what is a good cleaning kit/rod jags and cleaner.

May sound like a newbie question but please be patient with me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
com'n guys

help a fellow out

my conscience is killing me
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
there is a maintenance & cleaning section on this forum you know
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
When I clean mine I usually just do a field strip then clean the chamber with a chamber brush and lots of clp then I run the brush down the bore a few times. Then some patches down the barrel till they come out clean then another patch with some clp on it. Then I take the bolt and carrier apart and clean them up with some clp. I make sure the bolt  face is good and clean and the extractor too. I stagger the rings on the bolt then give everything a clp bath and reassemble the bolt. I clean the inside of the upper receiver with the toothbrush and some patches and clp. Then I put it all together. I dont mess with the gas tube at all and I rarely clean the trigger group or buffer areas. I use the Otis buttstock cleaning kit, it comes with all aforementioned items. Oh and the outside of the rifle gets wiped down with a little clp on a rag too. In case you dont know what clp is it is Breakfree brand Cleaner Lubricant Preservative it is what the gov't uses in most cases.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What ever you do dont use any dental picks on the inside of the carrier,be carefull putting a pipe cleaner in the gas tube as its relly not needed.Get a bore snake some CLP a few rods and bore and chamber brush q tips also good and use a soft brush for your upper or lower a hard metal bristle brush will kill your finish and remember more damage is done to ARs by improper and over cleaning then normal wear and tear will ever do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
there is a maintenance & cleaning section on this forum you know

+1 Reading is fundamental
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top