Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2004 3:14:52 PM EDT
I know they've got to be welded to a length of 16" but I want to change the brake on it to a flash supressor. I'm pretty sure I can do it myself but I don'ot want to go to jail for doing it. Just incase I mess something up nad need to have it professionally fixed to want to cover my own butt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the tools and experience to do it right, you would know that already

Probably just have ADCO do it. It requires cutting, welding, drilling and refinishing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, I'm on this kick lately to do everything myself for some reason..

Learning how to chamber rifles but i  know if I screw those up I can take it to get fixed without having to fear dropping the soap in the shower
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yea.. I'm good on welding and refinishing.. The cutting and drilling is what makes me a little nervous
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe they have to be pinned and welded, and what worried me was finding the damn pin and removing it before disassembly, I also wondered if the barrel had to be off the receiver, because after the initial removal, its now a short barreled rifle, correct?

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the pin.. There's a round discoloration on the compbrake that's got to be the pin. And that whole SBR thing is what's got me nervous.. The odds of me messing up on it the first time I try are well.......... with my luck
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a drill press, measure twice and go for it. You can cut the device off with a dremel, just make sure you move slowly. If you cut all the way into the barrel, a pro can shorten the barrel enough to get you threads again, and the Vortex or Phantom will still meet the minimum length requirement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a drill press and easy access to a vertical mill.

I guess I've really just got to figure out how far I need to go.

As long as i won't have to worry about prison I'll give it a shot.. Worst tha can happen is i've got to pay somebody else to fix my mistake..

Worst possible outcome is I need a new barrel.. But I'd probably have to really screw it up for that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as the rifle is not in a completed form while the barrel is less than 16", you're fine. So just take off the upper, do the work, and put it back on. You're golden
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top