Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 3:00:22 PM EDT
I'm building my first AR (M4gery) and can't decide on 16" threaded M4 profile barrel or 14.5" M4 profile with perm attached FH. The main reason I like the 16" is because i can switch muzzle accessories and pick up some velocity. What do ya'll prefer?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I went 16"  I love it, and although I don't really see me changing the A2 FH that is on it.  I like having the option.  Not having the option was something the libs wanted to keep from me.

Not saying I hate the 14.5's...I just prefer the 16"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It all depends on what YOU want. The two best flash suppressors that are long enough to make the 16" limit are the Phantom and Vortex. Both work excellent, so I see no need to change out flash suppressors.  Not to mention that a standard bayonet will not work on a 16" barrel. If you ever plan to use a sound suppressor, you will need the threads. That means either a 14.5" SBR, or a 16" barrel.

I myself prefer the 14.5", since it is anatomically-correct.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the ArfCom standard "both". If I only had one, I go with the 16" and removeable muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
GET BOTH!

Sorry I just had too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm building my first AR (M4gery) and can't decide on 16" threaded M4 profile barrel or 14.5" M4 profile with perm attached FH. The main reason I like the 16" is because i can switch muzzle accessories and pick up some velocity. What do ya'll prefer?

You said it's your first, which if your anything like the rest of us, it won't be your last.  So don't pressure yourself, theres plenty of time to get your 14.5" and your 20". Oh and your 11" SBR and a midlength. etc..
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You like the 16" extra velocity?  WHY?  What in the world could that extra velocity do for YOU?  

Will it make the rifle more accurate? NO
Will it make the rounds have greater fragmentation at close range? NO
Will the 14.5" barrel fragment at any range youd ever need it to for self defense?  YES

You plan on shooting humans at over 100m but under 150m with your 16" barrel very often?  Thats called murder not self defense.  If you want to be the next beltway sniper please dont use an AR for our sake.

As for swapping barrel accesorie sthat sounds amaturish.  Your choices are Vortex, Phantom and Bilock.  Once you pick one there is no reason to ever change them.  What possible scenario can you give me where you would want to do that?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You like the 16" extra velocity?  WHY?  What in the world could that extra velocity do for YOU?  

Will the 14.5" barrel fragment at any range youd ever need it to for self defense?  YES

You plan on shooting humans at over 100m but under 150m with your 16" barrel very often?  Thats called murder not self defense.  If you want to be the next beltway sniper please dont use an AR for our sake.

As for swapping barrel accesorie sthat sounds amaturish.  Your choices are Vortex, Phantom and Bilock.  Once you pick one there is no reason to ever change them.  What possible scenario can you give me where you would want to do that?

How about wanting a suppressor sometimes and a Flash hider at other times???
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Gemtech Bilock as its a flash supressor thats also a mount for a QD sound supressor... its what I have on my rifle.  I also said that was one of your three choices for flash suppressors in the post YOU QUOTED.  Try reading the post and knowing what it says next time. Also much faster than using a silly wrench to pull the flash hider and screw on the can... get with the modern era bro, who screws on their sound suppressors anymore?  Everything goes over the muzzle device nowdays.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get a Gemtech Bilock as its a flash supressor thats also a mount for a QD sound supressor... its what I have on my rifle.  I also said that was one of your three choices for flash suppressors in the post YOU QUOTED.  Try reading the post and knowing what it says next time. Also much faster than using a silly wrench to pull the flash hider and screw on the can... get with the modern era bro, who screws on their sound suppressors anymore?  Everything goes over the muzzle device nowdays.

But why marry yourself to just Gemtech ? There are alot of great suppressor manufacturers like Tom Bowers, XXX cans, Norrell, AWC and others. If you read your own post dumbass, you mentioned those three. I was just pointing out that its better to have the choice then not. Idiot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's called freedom buddy.  Freedom of choice.  I'd like to know I can throw on whatever the hell I want, when I want.  Maybe I have an A2 on now, 3 months down the road I'd like to try a phantom, or vortex.  Maybe when I move to an NFA friendlier state/county, I could throw on a sound suppressor.  How bout you calm the fuck down, just because the military uses 14.5, doesn't mean that's all YOU should get too.  But I forgot, if it's not 14.5, THEN IT'S NOT A REAL M4!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF? i ask about barrel length and you accuse me of being A psychotic murder? well we better stop all discussion regarding any sort of terminal ballistics or bullet perfomance. actually, we better stop all of this "assault rifle" discussion. after all, only a murderer would NEED more than a 10 rounds in a magazine for self defense, and why would any sportsman NEED a bayonet lug? come on, bayonets are only mounted on "assault rifles" buy insane criminals. woooaaah, i better duck, i think i just heard another drive by bayonetting! And for God's sake, why in Hell would you need a pistol grip?! Those are what truely make a weapon of evil; after all, their only use is hold the "semi-automatic assault rifle" steady while hosing down school children in full auto with one hand. this is only after the gun is pulled out of the psycho's t-shirt because the collapsable stock allowed him to conceal it their. no doubt the weapon had a sixteen inch barrel so he could do this from miles away. after all, that is the only use for the extra velocity from a 16" barrel right?!

SHUT DOWN ARFCOM!!!! PEOPLE ONLY WANT INFORMATION ON EVIL ASSAULT WEAPONS TO MORE EFFICIENTLY MURDER INNOCENT PEOPLE!!!!!!

ass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont use sound supressors and I dont change compensators or flash hiders if you will.I dont even use a bayonet I like the 14.5 because its shorter overall wich makes it the most handy and at the ranges you can expect to use it for defense velocity,barrel legnth is not an issue especialy at under 100 yds where 99.9% of gun fights take place.Besides if I wear out my barrel Im not gonna piece meal a new assembly by needing the old supressor or FSB Ill just put on a brand new assembly with the phantom attached besides I dont go through barrels like the military does and its relevant for them that every part be able to be replaced for me its not and with the more than 1 AR I own changing barrels has always been a want and not a need.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My extra 16" is used to engage IPSC targets in 3-gun competitions at up to 300 yards. I'm selling the 16" upper and moving up to a 20". The extra velocity does a lot for me when it comes to making the minimum required power factor for IPSC.

You assume we will use the gun for criminal activities. When you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Think before you type.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You've never changed your mind about anything? You know for a fact nothing will come out in the future that the guy might want instead of what he already has?

Jeez.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a new muzzle device buy a new upper... thats my plan  Man I have been a real ass today... I suprise even myself sometimes lol!  Oh yeah if you can get a suppressor you can register your rifle as an SBR and put whtver you want on your 14.5"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
An extra 25-35 yards of good fragmentation is a very good reason to have that extra 1.5". By the way, what the hell is with the idea of buying a new barrel, reciever, bolt, etc. just to change the type of flash hider? Very logical DevL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]
And when will you use that fragementation?  Never...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And when will you use that fragementation?  Never...

over 4000 posts at arfcom and you still don't know? packs of roaming zombies, alien invasion, etc. seriously though, if i have a weapon, i want it to be useful as such. i'll probably never need to kill a human being past 100 yards, but there may come a time when i do. it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
the 14.5" perm attached will give you a shorter legal OAL (almost exactly 16"). The 16" w/removable FH will be more like 17"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You've never changed your mind about anything? You know for a fact nothing will come out in the future that the guy might want instead of what he already has?

Jeez.....

He just can't help himself at times. After all he's from Texass.
However, I do have to agree with the DevL. Unless your one fickle dude, there is no reason to change the flash suppressor. No likely situation where a civilian should concern himself with slight velocity loss (even if he lived where he could hunt with the thing he shouldn't be using FMJ), and if you can get the stamp for a can then why not register it as an SBR. Sometimes it's just too easy concern yourself with hypothetical situations that have almost no chance of occuring. Pick one, shoot it, enjoy it. Over time you will likely want to own one of every flavor anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#22]
my reason for picking 16's over 14.5's is because i like to use ff tubes from KAC and DD. since you have to remove the FSP, the 14.5 w/ permanant FH is out. if the minimum barrel length without registration was 14.5 then i would use them instead of 16's.

i guess i should get off my lasy ass and register 2 more SBR's cuz one is just not enough.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
my reason for picking 16's over 14.5's is because i like to use ff tubes from KAC and DD. since you have to remove the FSP, the 14.5 w/ permanant FH is out. if the minimum barrel length without registration was 14.5 then i would use them instead of 16's.

i guess i should get off my lasy ass and register 2 more SBR's cuz one is just not enough.

ff tube?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Go with the 20 inch barrel for a better sight radius, and so you can hit stuff out to 600 yards. Plus a 20 inch barrel will get you fragmentation out to about 200 yards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey DevL, unlike you I believe that the AR-15 can be used for other things than hunting humans. That extra fragmentation is very useful when hunting coyotes. That is one example of many.Btw, don't be so god damed hostile. We are just talking about 1.5" and you talk like it's the end of the world.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Go with the 20 inch barrel for a better sight radius, and so you can hit stuff out to 600 yards. Plus a 20 inch barrel will get you fragmentation out to about 200 yards.

i plan on getting an eotech, so sight radius isn't an issue. i live in Texas so coyotes are a very possible target.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]
topgun,

FreeFloat tube, or rail which ever you prefer but like this,,

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#28]
nice. what is that on the rail?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#29]
IR laser for use with night vision goggles. since you live in tx, i believe you can hunt at night with a suppressor,  laser and night vision. you are set.

heard a story about a guy in tx hunting feral hogs with an MP5SD with IR laser and night vision. what a state.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#30]
[16"/size=3]

More velocity, threaded barrel, 1.5" won't make your CQB abilities go away.

If you like the looks only, forget everything else and go SBR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#31]
well J&T doesn't have 14.5 in M4 uppers anyway, so i guess i'll be going with the 16"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hey DevL, unlike you I believe that the AR-15 can be used for other things than hunting humans. That extra fragmentation is very useful when hunting coyotes. That is one example of many.Btw, don't be so god damed hostile. We are just talking about 1.5" and you talk like it's the end of the world.

Im just get a little excited sometimes... anyway if you want to hunt doggies then use ballistic tips and fragmentation is not an issue.  Why hunt with FMJ ammo?  You dont need the penetration depth that OTM or FMJ offers on the little puppy dogs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]
The versatility of actually getting to use your threads should outway a little M4 accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
14.5" for an M4gery.  But my all time favorite barrel is an 18" SPR.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]
anyone else? i'll probably be ordering a barreled upper from BM within the next 12 hours. i guess i'll probably never change FHs, so i'm leaning towards BM permenantly installing a phantom on a 14.5" M4 upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top